Houston Mile - Half Mile 2012

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few weeks back, one of my coworkers asked if knew why there were some exotics cars running around at Ellington Field. I asked around, but knew nothing at the time. Fast forward, and it turns out that we will be having a 1/2 mile shoot out right here in our own backyard. Some of our site's ex-sponsors appear to be organizing the event scheduled for mid May this year.

I perused through their "Driver Requirements" section, and their safety/tech rules don't seem stringent. Are any of you interested in participating? I will likely participate since its only a few miles from my home and I am familiar with Ellington Field.

Google "houston mile" for more info.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got the fire extingisher I ordered per your advice, that it is needed for such events. I just might have to look into doing this, thanks for posting :2tu:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did The Texas Mile a few years back (picture in my avatar) down in Goliad. You guys are gonna love it!
Have fun.:drive:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm...count me in :)

Although...there are a lot of "half miles" on the way to Houston from Austin. :rolaugh:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's on the same day I graduate from A&M. This is going to be an awesome event though, I hope you guys take a ton of pictures.

OP
OP

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's on the same day I graduate from A&M. This is going to be an awesome event though, I hope you guys take a ton of pictures.

The thought of your A&M graduation brings memories of mine as if they were recent, but its been a decade :omg:. Congrats on your graduation Andy. Once an Aggie always an Aggie. Whoop!!!!!

Andres - Aggie c/o '02

OP
OP

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have registered for the Houston Mile event. Not much information was collected. Only name and address, but that was probably just for payment purposes. Vehicle information and participant number were not requested :dunno:. The website states that there will be different classes, but I didn't see those listed or what the constraints for each.

Hopefully I will be seeing some you of folks representing the Viper community on May 12th.

OP
OP

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Paul. I signed up for the Texas Mile shortly after they opened for registration. In the past, they have had a waiting list. Rumor has it that they typically let everyone on the waiting list run. I am not sure if they are still doing that, but you may want to look into it. Good luck.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The thought of your A&M graduation brings memories of mine as if they were recent, but its been a decade :omg:. Congrats on your graduation Andy. Once an Aggie always an Aggie. Whoop!!!!!

Andres - Aggie c/o '02

Lol we're getting old lol. I should of been class of 2000. Thinking about getting a bunch of beer and crawfish for Sunday the 13th so maybe we'll get a few of you guys over.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard it takes 13 Aggies to change a light bulb, but I had no idea it takes an Aggie 12 yrs. to get a four year degree :D Congrats Man!!

The better question should be, how many downpours in SE Texas does it take before the owner of a certain Viper puts a driveway in so he can actually drive his Viper..... :D :D

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The better question should be, how many downpours in SE Texas does it take before the owner of a certain Viper puts a driveway in so he can actually drive his Viper..... :D :D

The answer to that is, just one more.... not being able to get the Hot Rod out sux! Now if our TX sized driveway wasn't 220' long, I could've replaced it long ago. I mean cost wise it becomes a choice of a new driveway our a really nice swimming pool :omg: We do plan to get the driveway replaced this summer though.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard it takes 13 Aggies to change a light bulb, but I had no idea it takes an Aggie 12 yrs. to get a four year degree :D Congrats Man!!

LOL knew that was coming at some point:D

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He hasn't finished yet Rob, his quest for additional horsepower might cause him to quit school before finishing.... ;)

Every time I get out, they pull me right back in :D

I appreciate it though guys.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Every time I get out, they pull me right back in :D

I appreciate it though guys.

I got ya covered Andy. Eric let me see the questions from the final exam for his degree.....

1. Figure the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will
support a 10 pound possum 8 inches from the trunk.

2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on
blocks in your front yard? 66 Ford Fairlane, 69 Chevrolet, 54 Chevy,
Chevelle, 64 Pontiac GTO.

3. If your cousin Billy Bob builds a still that operates at a capacity
of 20 gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to
condense the product?

4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The
density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The
plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How
many Budweiser Tallboys will it take to cut down all the trees?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12
simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24 inch centers with a
field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16
feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch
collapses, how many hound dogs will be bad hurt?

7. A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an
average slope of 15%. The man has 5 chillins. When growed, can each of
the children place a mobile home on the man's land?

8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a
steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the
average traffic loading of secondary roads, what are the chances that it
will strike a vehicle that has a muffler?

9. A coal mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The
mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the
beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be
smoked during the shift?

10. At a reduction in gene pool variability rate of 7.5% per generation,
how long will it take a town that has been bypassed by the interstate to
breed a country-western singer?

I hope this helps ya buddy:D

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OMG I can't stop laughing that's priceless. I'm gonna need to print this out and get it to Eric, Richard, and Beth for further review.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've already reviewed it Andy, unfortunately I cannot help you with any of the answers, my brain will not stop laughing. And when it gets done laughing, I will need a translator for some of the questions.... :D

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert:

I think you have A&M confused with the new school coming into the Big 12 West Virginia, good laugh though.

Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper