Detaching glass

NDVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the club. I live in North Dakota and purchased a '98 RT/10 in Wisconsin a couple weeks ago from a dealership. They told me the driver's window had an issue and they ordered a new regulator mechanism and had it shipped to my home. For the past two weeks I have been reading all the window problem posts and it appears the little plastic guide piece is usually the culprit. Yesterday my new regulator arrived. Tonight I took off the door panel. The window is in the up position and wouldn't move either way. Upon inspection I could see the plastic piece was broken. My son and I worked on it a bit and we were able to get the window down far enough to pull the little metal clip out of the plastic piece. My problem is, how do you get the glass to move out far enough to get it to disengage from the plastic guide. There is obviously a pin on the window that fits into the plastic guide and the metal clip holds it in place. I can't move the regulator bar up to remove the unit as long as it's attached to the window. I have read many posts here about the window problems, but haven't seen a description of how to get the window to release from the guide. Also, is the guide the only place that the window is connected to the regulator unit? Does the stanchion have to be removed to wiggle the window loose from the guide? Can someone help please?

OP
OP
N

NDVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, I have seen the post before. I still need to know how you actually detach the white clip from the window glass.

OP
OP
N

NDVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got my manuals in the mail today, but they weren't very helpful. I went out to the garage after dinner and took another look. This time I noticed two small tabs, one on each end of the window unit that plugs into the guide clip. I pushed on the two tabs away from the clip and the plug popped out of the guide clip. Lo and behold, the window was free from the clip. I supported the glass so it wouldn't slide down and removed the old regulator. I installed the new one, dropped the window down to the guide clip, pushed out again on the tabs on the window unit and the plug popped into the new guide clip. I installed the retainer that holds the window unit into the guide clip, turned the key and worked the window switch. The window goes up and down just like new. I put the door panel back on and now I'm ready for the 50 degree weather coming next week.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the door panel back on and now I'm ready for the 50 degree weather coming next week.

Wow, is it summer there already ? :lmao:

Congratulations on figuring out how to fix your window. These cars are generally pretty simple to work on and are DIY friendly. And they give lots of grins per mile.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am trying to get driver side window out as well. I am not sure what tabs I need to push to get the pin out of the guide. What am I doing wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32