Help out a guy who is new to Mopars...

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does ASP stand for? I see all sorts of vanity plates with ASP, etc.

Thanks.

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not lame actually...

The (Asp), Vipera aspis is a venomous viper species found in southwestern Europe. Bites from this species can be more severe than from the European adder, V. berus; not only can they be very painful, but about 4% of all untreated bites are fatal. The specific name, aspis, is a Greek word that means "viper."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_aspis#Common_names

Yup, just the type of a snake, and not a Viper...kinda lame
crazy2.gif

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough...I'll eat my crow.

But, busting out the Wiki definition further proves my point. It might technically be a Viper, but no one knows, understands, or cares why ASP is written on the rear of a Viper

Not lame actually...

The (Asp), Vipera aspis is a venomous viper species found in southwestern Europe. Bites from this species can be more severe than from the European adder, V. berus; not only can they be very painful, but about 4% of all untreated bites are fatal. The specific name, aspis, is a Greek word that means "viper."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_aspis#Common_names

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AbsolutHank:3049639 said:
but no one knows, understands, or cares why ASP is written on the rear of a Viper

:dunno:

A majority of the population should know that an Asp is a snake...and so is a Viper, thus putting 2+2 together. Asp is also a funny play on words, such as the vanity plate "BAD ASP"...while it might mean that the Viper is a bad snake...it also happens to sound like something else. It's clever, and funny.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
KIKNASP -- was always a good one, too. ASP has been on personalized plates since the Viper came out, and was often an issue with States that did not want to issue because of the close connotation that could be inferred with clever plates.

ASPMAN was a popular one that got alot of flack years ago, and was a take on the Seinfeld show, but..........one can see why I believe the owner decided to change it,ha.

OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I hadn't heard it in conversation before and had only seen it in reference to dodge vipers. I just assumed it was some sort of acronym like SVT, LSX, etc.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post and thanks. I wondered *** ASP was about too..... Learn something every day.