First DIY service, couple questions

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing my first bit of work on my '05 vert that I picked up about a month back, 27k miles. I'm changing all the fluids (coolant, engine oil/filter, tranny, diff) + new plugs, chassis lube, reverse bleed the brakes/flush with new fluid, lube the doors, new door speakers, new MGW shifter, and a skip-shift eliminator. So far, I'm having a blast, finding that these cars really are pretty straight forward to work on.

Couple questions, though:

- I've found some leaking oil cooler lines, apparently not uncommon. Do most of you with this issue replace with OEM lines or go with something aftermarket (I found the article on making your own lines for an SRT truck)?

- While removing one of the engine block coolant drain plugs, I managed to break off a little black plastic cylinder that was sort of clipped into the bottom of the starter. Can anyone identify what this is and what is does? (Some kind of mini drain?)

- The rubber boot that covers the shifter between the tunnel and the shifter is toast. How big of a deal is this to replace? It looks like it's actually riveted to the car under the console...

Thanks for any help!
Bryan
Meadow Vista, CA

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When replacing the oil cooler lines, replace the fittings as well. I have been using the factory lines, but aftermarket AN lines and fittings will be a better fix.

Most likely the little black fitting is just the vent for the starter motor. It allows any moisture to escape from the motor.

The shifter boot needs to be replaced from the top and keeps noise, moisture and fumes from getting into the car. Its an 1 1/2 hour job and requires drilling out the rivets.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When replacing the oil cooler lines, replace the fittings as well. I have been using the factory lines, but aftermarket AN lines and fittings will be a better fix.

Most likely the little black fitting is just the vent for the starter motor. It allows any moisture to escape from the motor.

The shifter boot needs to be replaced from the top and keeps noise, moisture and fumes from getting into the car. Its an 1 1/2 hour job and requires drilling out the rivets.

Hope this helps.

That helps a ton, Dan! Thanks for the fast answers... : )

Bryan

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Follow-up question that I haven't been able to find an answer for... To replace the oil lines with the aftermarket AN-style lines, there are references to a some great instructions on how to build and install these hoses using fittings and parts, but these are for a different SRT car or truck (not sure which). In those instructions, he uses two 45-degree fittings (on the engine) and two straight fittings (on the cooler). For a Viper, it would seem like the 45s go on the cooler and the straights go on the engine, but can anyone who has done this confirm? Or would 45s at both ends of both hoses be better?

Thanks!
Bryan

macombtwp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Follow-up question that I haven't been able to find an answer for... To replace the oil lines with the aftermarket AN-style lines, there are references to a some great instructions on how to build and install these hoses using fittings and parts, but these are for a different SRT car or truck (not sure which). In those instructions, he uses two 45-degree fittings (on the engine) and two straight fittings (on the cooler). For a Viper, it would seem like the 45s go on the cooler and the straights go on the engine, but can anyone who has done this confirm? Or would 45s at both ends of both hoses be better?

Thanks!
Bryan

I read the same instructions as you. I recently made my own oil cooler lines for my 2003 Viper. I am using (2) 90 degree, and (2) 45 degree fittings. I am just waiting for the right day to install them.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read the same instructions as you. I recently made my own oil cooler lines for my 2003 Viper. I am using (2) 90 degree, and (2) 45 degree fittings. I am just waiting for the right day to install them.

Looks great -- just what I'm looking to do. Based on this, I ended up ordering a variety of fittings since the vendor has a no-hassle return policy. I'll close the loop here with pics to show what I ended up doing.

Bryan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R