Thread: Finally a High Performance Viper Lifter Gen 1-3

Reply to Thread
    Supporting Vendor

Default Finally a High Performance Viper Lifter Gen 1-3

For years we have battled with poor quality highly expensive production lifters for the Viper. Our only choice was to bush the lifter bores and use a smaller diameter Chevrolet performance lifter. This was highly expensive and not practical for 90% of our customers. The only real choice was to use the early production “low bleed lifter”. The aftermarket Sealed Power or Melling lifters proved even less reliable.

For years we have built camshaft profiles and used spring pressures that allowed these lifters to live. Even with smooth cam profiles and less than optimal spring pressures these lifters would bleed down cold and rattle on cold starts, not healthy for an engine. With proper performance spring pressures they would often fail.

For the past year we have worked with several companies on a new lifter design. Our consultant Lyle Larson used his extensive background with Spintron testing and camshaft design to help develop and test this new lifter. These lifters have been proven on the engine dyno and on our own chassis dyno.

This new lifter addresses all the issues we have had with the production lifter. This low bleed lifter features a precision bore with a high performance plunger and bleed plate design. It does not bleed down when the engine is shut off and the hydraulics will withstand performance valve spring pressures. The special needle bearing rollers are designed to track true to the cam lobe creating the least amount of friction and heat. These lifters feature a tie bar that increases valve train stability at high rpm and eliminates the production tie plate.

These lifter sets are currently available for $599.00 per set—suggested retail is $849.00.

DC Performance 310-841-6996

Last edited by Dan Cragin; 03-13-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Specialty Performance Team
    Dan Cragin

Viper Owner

Default Re: Finally a High Performance Viper Lifter Gen 1-3

Can you help me out a little.

I currently have arrow roller rockers on my 2003. As well as a agressive 710 camshaft from roe racing. I was told as well to upgrade with the chevy lifters but never did.

I hate my arrow (harland sharp) rockers as they continuously malfunction once a year.

Is this lifter you sell a replacement for rockers? As I have herd roller rockers referred to as rockers and lifters ect.

Thanks for any clarification.

Viper Owner

Also...per set equals both sides of the engine or one side.

Viper Owner

What is the nature of the malfunction is?

Enthusiast

Twister...Harland Sharps are not Arrows Harland Sharps are made by Harland Sharp. www.harlandsharp.com

Supporting Vendor

The lifter set is for a complete engine (20). I have not had any issue with the Harland Sharp Rockers. When they first came out there was an issue with the adjuster that was corrected (2003 I think). It is critical they are adjusted properly and the lock nut torqued. If your lifters are bad and bleeding down then it is possible that your issue with the rockers could be related to this.
    Dan Cragin

Viper Owner

Dan, you mentioned issues you've had with the production lifters. Can you share some of the issues you've seen with them? Perhaps warning signs to look for? I'm currently utilizing the early production "low bleed lifter'. Thanks.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by DC Performance View Post
    The lifter set is for a complete engine (20). I have not had any issue with the Harland Sharp Rockers. When they first came out there was an issue with the adjuster that was corrected (2003 I think). It is critical they are adjusted properly and the lock nut torqued. If your lifters are bad and bleeding down then it is possible that your issue with the rockers could be related to this.
    Thanks...

My vipers a 2003 and it was one of the early srts that had crank failure and had to be rebuilt by arrow racing. While it was there arrow threw in the harland sharp 1.7 rockers.

Since 2006 I have had the rockers fail 3 times in wich the lock nut worked its way off and caused mis fires.

The first time the nut simply became loose and had to be retourqued in 07

The second time the nut came all the way off and fell ontop of my head gasket. This was very time consuming and expensive to find the nut in 2010

The most recent a few months ago the nut simpky broke in 2012

Basically been a nightmare for me.

Are these lifters the awnswer. Will I benifit from them if I have the harland sharps?

Supporting Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
    Dan, you mentioned issues you've had with the production lifters. Can you share some of the issues you've seen with them? Perhaps warning signs to look for? I'm currently utilizing the early production "low bleed lifter'. Thanks.
    The common practice in the past for most engine builders was to change to the earlier Viper (1992-1999) low bleed lifter when doing a top end build. These lifters were an advantage over the later high bleed lifters as they provided more valve lift throughout the rpm range and were less likely to bleed down.

When using a performance cam profile, higher valve spring pressure is needed to keep the lifter in contact with the cam throughout the rpm range. The production low bleed lifters have problems handling the higher pressure. When the engine is shut down for any period of time they bleed down. This causes lash in the valve train and makes for very noisy valve clatter on start-up. This lack of oil is not good for the engine. These lifters also tend to bleed excessively at low rpm in performance applications and result in a noisy valvetrain. With higher spring pressures the rollers on the lifters tend to side load and wear out, at times causing engine damage.
    Dan Cragin

Viper Owner

I'll be calling for a set.. Thank you for all your efforts towards R&D!

Viper Owner

Yes my valve train has been very noisy since the cam.

Can i use these with the harland sharp rockers on my 03?

Supporting Vendor

Yes, you can use these lifters with your rockers. If you have had multiple adjuster isses, I would suggest a new set of adjusters.
    Dan Cragin

Viper Owner

very nice, my motor deffinately needs these going in next time it is refreshed!

Supporting Vendor

Thanks all, we have priced these lifters just under the stock lifter price. Take advantage while this offer lasts.
    Dan Cragin

VCA Member
    Western Canada

Hello Dan, were there any actual performance gains that you had seen on the dyno?
    Stryker Heads, Stryker Cam, No Bleed Lifters, Ported Intake, Bellenger Headers, 3 Hi Flow Cats, 3 Corsa Exhaust, K&N Filters and Smooth Tubes, 550 Hp & 550 Torque

Enthusiast

Dan, that seems like a great addition to the options available to Viper owners!