Any RB1 (radio) experts out there?

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi -- just picked up my first Viper, a 2005 roadster, about a month ago. I'm loving it and working on a few upgrades.

The first was to pull out the RBQ radio and replace it with an RB1 that I got out of a 2005 PT Cruiser from a wrecking yard. It appears to work just fine except when it comes to the Nav dvd: For that I purchased a disc off of ebay, version AI, thinking that the later the version, the better. Here's the ebay link if it matters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190641171022

The back of the disc appears to be in good shape, no major scratches, etc.

The first time I inserted the disc into the RB1, it flashed a message to the effect of "preparing to update software" and then put a progress bar up with "please do not shut off the engine". The progress bar sat there at the very beginning for a good 15 minutes and then, finally, began progressing across and appeared to complete successfully. After that, the nav screen came up with a map, showing the car on the right road and moving in the right direction, and all appeared to be good.

Then after shutting off the car for a few hours, it now gives a "map dvd read error -- eject and re-insert" message after the nav button is pushed. Upon eject / insert, it says "resetting unit in preparation to use navigation" (or something like that... all these messages are just from memory) and after a few minutes, gives another "map dvd read error" message.

Any ideas on what's wrong? RB1 bad? Disc version incompatible? Something else??

Help!!! : )

Bryan
Meadow Vista, CA

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm, 110 views but no replies... How about this: Does anyone have an RB1 with an AI version nav disc that works correctly?

Thanks,
Bryan

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What the heck is RB1?

Sorry, maybe that's why I'm getting no responses... : )

RB1 refers to a Nav-capable Chrysler radio.

You must be registered for see images

I believe it should be plug-n-play compatible with the RBQ (6 disc internal CD) radio that seems to have come standard in at least the Gen3 Vipers.

Does anyone have this and, if so, what version nav disc are you using?

Bryan

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plenty of people have done the swap.....I did also but switched back(long story) so I don't have the disk

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did an after the fact RB-1 add to my '06. It all went well and I have no problems. I do not remember what disc version I have though. I will look tonight and post the results.

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plenty of people have done the swap.....I did also but switched back(long story) so I don't have the disk

Back to the RBQ? Hmmm, doesn't sound like you had a good experience with your RB1...

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to close this out in case anyone stumbles into this thread in the future...

I ended up buying a new nav disc from Alpine and it's working fine, so I suspect the problem was the used disc I got from ebay -- even though it was obviously a factory disc, NOT a copy, it still had issues. Thankfully the seller agreed to take it back and refund me.

New disc was only $149, which makes buying a used one from ebay not really worth the hassle, IMO.

Bryan

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Back to the RBQ? Hmmm, doesn't sound like you had a good experience with your RB1...

The RB1's radio reception was horrible. I did buy it off eBay so the seller returned my money. I have no idea why the radio would not get reception, but my rbq did so it had to be the radio itself

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The RB1's radio reception was horrible. I did buy it off eBay so the seller returned my money. I have no idea why the radio would not get reception, but my rbq did so it had to be the radio itself

Got it, thanks. My RB1 radio itself works great, so I agree that it must have been your particular unit.

Now I still haven't resolved another occasional but annoying problem, which is where the radio plays but the screen is dark and no buttons respond -- from internet searches, this seems to be a fairly common problem. I'm guessing it has to do with how the input power to the unit gets cycled during engine start, so I'm thinking about playing around with a big capacitor /diode combo. If anyone has solved this one, I'd love to hear from you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper