What year is best?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96, in the future, will be worth more than the 97. Was the 97 a better overall car with the forged wheels and the better rubber seals and what not? Probably so. Will it be worth more? Hell no.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96, in the future, will be worth more than the 97. Was the 97 a better overall car with the forged wheels and the better rubber seals and what not? Probably so. Will it be worth more? Hell no.

They both had forged pistons and the 708 cam. Neither will ever be collector items of any real value.
Going to be 20 years old and they still don't even bring CLOSE to they're original MSRP.
They made too many.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96, and it's not part of any "nest egg" for my bratty ass kids. If I were to die tomorrow, my wife could sell it for exactly or maybe a little more than I paid for it. That's the beauty of these Gen II cars.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They both had forged pistons and the 708 cam. Neither will ever be collector items of any real value.
Going to be 20 years old and they still don't even bring CLOSE to they're original MSRP.
They made too many.
Still too early for these cars. As time goes on and more goes away I think that will change. I never thought I would see a 78 Trans-Am go for $40,000:rolaugh: And they made a lot of those.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 20 years when the United Nations rules the world and have convinced everyone that global warming is the biggest threat to our survival, the Viper will be popular in Russia.

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard the 97 GTS's are better built and values will eclipse the 96's
Since they improved build quality and Have all the Forged internals with lumpy 708 cam
LOL Just kidding..

***Any second gen GTS will be Sought after... production relatively low and a design that is considered timeless
The 488 engine is incredibly built...Over engineered and it was the car that upset the Italian and German exotics on the track and off!!!

blownrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing that is fundamentally wrong with this thread is instead of being educational, it is turning into a contest. I know it is nice to own a car that no one else can get or to be the envy of everyone, but don't knock the person who bought something they like because you think your car is so much more superior or rare. If we all want the best, why are we not all driving a brand new one? Imagine how inconsiderate and just plain mean it is to look down on another owner because they have a 2000? Or a 93? I have always considered a used dodge viper a blue collar supercar: meaning many owners save up for many years to buy one, usually used. Now that buyer depletes their savings, getting the most affordable exotic car they can, and visits Viper forums to communicate with fellow enthusiasts, only to be told 'you drive a creampuff' or 'those first gen's are so primitive'. Why can't we all just be happy with what we have and be happy for others?

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
A little off topic, but .............

You must be registered for see images attach

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing that is fundamentally wrong with this thread is instead of being educational, it is turning into a contest. I know it is nice to own a car that no one else can get or to be the envy of everyone, but don't knock the person who bought something they like because you think your car is so much more superior or rare. If we all want the best, why are we not all driving a brand new one? Imagine how inconsiderate and just plain mean it is to look down on another owner because they have a 2000? Or a 93? I have always considered a used dodge viper a blue collar supercar: meaning many owners save up for many years to buy one, usually used. Now that buyer depletes their savings, getting the most affordable exotic car they can, and visits Viper forums to communicate with fellow enthusiasts, only to be told 'you drive a creampuff' or 'those first gen's are so primitive'. Why can't we all just be happy with what we have and be happy for others?

A small number of Viper owners belong to either club. A significantly smaller number actually post on the various Viper forums. Don't let the vocal minority influence one's perspective of the entire Viper community. There are a lot of really good Viper owners out there. As someone else said, the best year is the year of your favorite Viper in your garage.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B/W is superior to all all others, everyone knows that lol

I would take one of those 1999 ACR's in black if I was gonna get another GenII. I damn near pulled the trigger on a twin turbo 99 black ACR before I bought the one I have now.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take one of those 1999 ACR's in black if I was gonna get another GenII. I damn near pulled the trigger on a twin turbo 99 black ACR before I bought the one I have now.
I like black as well but at the time I had 3 other vehicles in black and once I saw the B/W there was no other choice

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score

My buddy Ted has a 99 Black TT..... Hmmm I wonder

BFoster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the big auction companies (Barrett-Jackson, Russo and Steele, RM Auctions, Mecum, etc) are great judges of value. Even then, there are some surprises, because you never know how much someone is willing to pay for one. This January we should start to see the values level off before they start upward. Remember the ZR-1 Corvette? People have said for years that they are the next hot collector car, though prices have been anything but stellar. I think we're going to see a positive change with that car as well.

Either way, Viper is a great product and looks better than most anything out there on the road, regardless of year or color!

jay wittlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it aint forged its junk and cheaper to build. it is a money thing. what holds together longer better and can take the heat and beating? if u buy an engine the least expensive is always not forged but cast or coated stuff that does not take the beating as well but saves money. nice chart but I will take a 99 gts anytime and put 2000 gts or so rear brake calipers on it. it will stop and go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper