Lubricants

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I decided I wanna change all the oils/lubricants in my 98 gts (30,000mles). I did a search on here and couldn't find a definitive answer on which brand of lubricants are best to use. I dont care about price I just wanna put the best stuff in the car. Whats the best between mopar,royal purple, redline, & ams oil? also mobil 1 or royal purple for engine oil?thanks

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have a Gen II and recently was recommended the Royal Purple products, particularly their engine oil and oil filter. :rolleyes:
Haven't switched from OEM filter and Mobil 1, as I know nothing of the aforementioned brand.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My research here says Mopar for transmission and differential. Mobil 1 0W-40 for best lubricity for engine. ( Experts would probably say that it doesn't matter much if you change oil as often as most Viper owners do.) Either Mopar for power steering if for street only or Redline if seeing track use.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My research here says Mopar for transmission and differential. Mobil 1 0W-40 for best lubricity for engine. ( Experts would probably say that it doesn't matter much if you change oil as often as most Viper owners do.) Either Mopar for power steering if for street only or Redline if seeing track use.

this man speaks truth

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZTVR you sound knowledgable and plumcrazy backs you so your my man lol. . so 0w-40 not 10w-40?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really isn't any significant difference between 0W-40 and 10W-40. In colder operating temperatures (on start up) I would go with the 0W.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZTVR you sound knowledgable and plumcrazy backs you so your my man lol. . so 0w-40 not 10w-40?

I got this from many posts in the past from our residnet expert. Specifically, Mobil 1 0W-40 has higher levels of ZDDP as compared to most other blends of Mobil 1. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf It is their "European" blend and passes a slightly higher standard.

Now, I am not convinced our cars uniquely need to have that high of ZDDP level; but, because my engine is so expensive; and I do use my car in high performance mode a lot, I feel that it is worth going with that oil. I'm an engineer, and I tend to go with the highest spec item. (However, I have not read posts involving engine failures due to use of lower specification oils. ) The other name brand oils do not publish their ZDDP levels from what I've seen.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Make sure you use the Viper specific oil filter PN 5037836AB 1992-2006 and PN 5038041AA 2008-2010 as it has a filter element and relief valve designed specifically for the Viper engine. When it comes to oil, the newest oil suggested by Mopar is the Penzoil 5w40 Ultra Euro. It supersedes all the previous oils and will be used in the new generation Vipers. Its Euro Spec additive package exceeds all previous oils and it is factory fill for Ferrari. Mopar fluids for the transmission (Castoral Syntorque or Mopar PN 4874459 75-85) is best all around fluid (1992-2006). If neutral gear rattle does not bother you and you do not track your car then Dexron 2-3 works great and makes it shift better. Gen 4's use ATF plus 4. The factory claims its a lifetime fill but I suggest changing it at 12,500 and 22k thereafter (if you do not track). The rear differential takes Mopar PN4874469 75-140 with friction modifier. 03-06 models can go without the FM. Syngear differential oil I have found is best for track cars.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc