Custom Viper jack stands

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest challenges for a Viper owner or any real car enthusiast is properly lifting his or her car, as well as supporting it once it's lifted. I struggled with differing ideas for years. Fortunately I've had a lift in my garage for 13 years now. Along the way I've learned some important lessons, like why you should buy a CERTIFIED lift and not some cheap no name brand lift. I'm not going to get into a discussion as to why, but let's just say I learned the hard way.

Getting past that whole discussion, I struggled with the abillity to safely support the vehicle while using a Four post lift. Four post lifts are great for doing most jobs on your car, but really handicap you when it comes to brake or suspension work. I live in earthquake country, so those sliding jacks they sell as an option for lifting your car off the lift are not going to ever end up in my garage. The next and most logical choice is to simply lift the car up on the lift, place four jack stands under the car and carefully lower the car on them. Sounds good enough, right?

Not for me, why, because Jack stands will mar or worse dimple the frame. Yes I realize they sell polyurethane jack pads. Still not good enough for me, if you yank hard enough on the suspension you will push a car over. A simple earthquake will pop your head like stepping on a cockroach before you can even think about getting out from under the car. Think I'm a nut, maybe................. but I've had a lift fail on me as well as a jack fail and nearly kill me as I was trying to place jack stands under the car. When your Chinese lift and Jack stands kill you, whose your family going to sue, China:lmao: .

So with all this in mind, I designed a set of stands for the car that are bombproof, will fully protect the frame as well secure the car in place no matter how violently you shake the car. Here is a pic of the rear stand I finished about a month ago, haven't had the time to build the front set yet, but hopefully in the next few weeks.......

Here's a pic of my original frame support I made 8 yrs ago. This one was used with Jack stands, you used one side to support the front of the car at the frame mount saddles, and then flipped it over to use it on the rear frame rails. It worked great, except that you could only use it on the front or the back of the car at any one given time. The other thing was, well it used jack stands that I inherently distrust.

I should have the front one built soon enough. I've got to service all my ACR shocks, so the car needs to be safe and secure for at least a few weeks. If anyone is curious the stand sits about 24 to the frame rails and has thick soft carpet in the saddles.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you set the car down gently on both front and rear using the 4-post?

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great idea. I will have to show a welder buddy of mine this to see if he can duplicate it. How do you know the weight capacity?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously nice fab work... I agree, that it's quake proof and over-engineered. Now for the front......