kicker cvt654 install

cweaver22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
after some research i decided to go with the kicker CVT654 sub woofer. I removed the port and port tube, sealed the box and mounted the sub woofer using eight #8 x 3/4" black sheet metal screws screwed right into the plastic box, no pre drilled holes. i used a bead of 100% silicone to seal the speaker to the box, this was crutial as i hooked up the sub without it and it sounded like a bumble bee. once i added the silicone bead under the sub rim and let it cure for 24 hours the buzzing was eliminated. don't forget to silicon the hole where the screw held the stock sub woofer in place from the back. i reinstalled everything amd it sounds great.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

M_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing cweaver22, this should be my next move...eleminating the buzzing out of those speakers.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was there enough of an improvement from the stock sub to justify this? I just deal with it, realizing the 6.5" is never going to reproduce deep bass, but at this point the door panel speakers are even better.

OP
OP
C

cweaver22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its tough for me to say if the kicker is better than the stock speaker. my stock speaker was rattling against the port tube because the foam pads had disintegrated. if I had to do it all over again I would try and seal the box and remove the port tube with the stock speaker sealing the box and stuffing with Polly fill to see if that made an improvement. its good enough for me for now.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is an improvement over the stock sub. as a poster above mentioned is it worth the effort being it is a 6.5? its like going from a 4 out of 10 to a 6 out of 10. its better, but no, you are still not going to get much out of a 6.5. you get alot more bang for your buck replacing the door speakers. if its bad do it. if you are going to pull the box out to seal it, replace it while the box is out of the car, not alot of money. if everything is working and you have no reason to ttake it out, just drive the car and dont worry about it.

if you are going to do it because you want some bass, there is no point in taking it apart and spending the time unless you are going to atleast put an 8 inch in there with a custom box. you will spend alot of time for little gain. on the 8 inch, it is sitting between your seats in a shallow box firing at the front windshield. if not the worst place to mount a sub, its close to it. but an 8 inch in a custom box is as good as you are going to get and still retain a mostly factory look without compromising passenger foot space. thats as good as you can make it with the factory set up. and if you are going to pull the box out, take the box to a stereo shop and have then make you a better one you can slip an 8 inch into. if you are going to spend the time, get as much out of the effort as you can.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cweaver, did you do any modification to the stock speaker cover to get it to fit over the kicker? I just installed this sub in my 01 RT and noticed that the stock speaker cover is smaller than the frame of the kicker.