Best tire for straight line acceleration (street)

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Was wondering which one of these tires would be the better ones for straight line acceleration for the street.

1) Nitto Invo

2) Nitto NT05

3) Michelin pilot sport cups (currently in the car)

4) New Michelin Pilot super sport

My car is a 2010 ACR and the time is here to replace the tires for new ones on my street set. Should I just buy a new set of pilot sport cups or one of the other three is better for the viper get that extra bite that I am looking for light to light.

Thank you!

2010 grapihite on black on red ACR---- 10.9s @ 126mph 1/4 mile(crappy track)------- 1.66s - 60'--- bellanger headers/exhaust/ mopar ecu/ k&N/hoosiers/line-lock.

Shooting for mid-low 10's this coming season NA!:2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Invo has the soft sidewall which allows for a good launch
Michelins have a grippier compound
not sure which is more beneficial to the 1/4 guys....

X nt05 off you list (great for going around turns though)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont do stop light stuff. im going from 40 or 60 mph and PS2's do a great job for me.

F

FrgMstr

The NT05 has been amazing for me the one day I drove it when the temp was up to 80F. It was great under 80F too, but damn did it bite on warm pavement.

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey V10lover what type of line lock are you running been wanting to put on on my car. As far as street tires all I have used is the stock PS2 which hook up decent after 40mph if warmed up real good. Now I do have a set of hoosier drag radials that hook up great having a hard time taking them off the car just can not go around corners, but nothing like wacking the beast at 10mph and hooking hard.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None. BFG 345 DR would be better than any of them. Even better than the bfg would be a et street.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the cups on the track - on the street I don't care for them because of the warm up they require. If not warm they have similar grip to run-flats. Once warm they are very nice. Since you're are a strip you have the time to warm up. On the street when you want to give someone an impromptu education you'll simply show them your ability to wheel hop.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep - have a set on the ACR & RT. The Roe on the RT just spins them, no hop because of the Roe's instant power and not having to feed it RPM to start making power (sorry Plum :D - couldn't help it :D).

The ACR will hop like a cricket in a frying pan - even with the c/r settings on the KW's adjusted to rattle teeth.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Invo has the soft sidewall which allows for a good launch
Michelins have a grippier compound
not sure which is more beneficial to the 1/4 guys....

X nt05 off you list (great for going around turns though)

Thanks,

Maybe the nt05 drag radial but don't know how long those would last for street tough.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you are running 19's, the NTO5R's (the R's) work good

Yes, I am running the stock acr setup for the street and was wondering how long would those NT05R's last for the street(average).

I also plan on upgrading to 3:55s in the future so the stickier tires will be more than welcome.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey V10lover what type of line lock are you running been wanting to put on on my car. As far as street tires all I have used is the stock PS2 which hook up decent after 40mph if warmed up real good. Now I do have a set of hoosier drag radials that hook up great having a hard time taking them off the car just can not go around corners, but nothing like wacking the beast at 10mph and hooking hard.

I have the hurst line lock in my car. Works great. Easy install.

Yep hoosiers for me too but I change it at the track. I go with 18 x 10s + hoosiers on the rear for the track. On my first pass after this mod last year, I went from 11.8s to 11.3 just by doing that , the k&N and the catch can mod. With the full exhaust and ecu I finally hit the 10.9s last year in a cold track.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the cups on the track - on the street I don't care for them because of the warm up they require. If not warm they have similar grip to run-flats. Once warm they are very nice. Since you're are a strip you have the time to warm up. On the street when you want to give someone an impromptu education you'll simply show them your ability to wheel hop.

It became to much wheel hop for my taste after the full bellangers + ECU mod. This gen 4s explode in torque after 3500rpm and my tires always brake loose.

There are more mods planned this year and probably a 3:55 next year so I gotta make sure that baby is gonna hook and stop going sideways.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really loved the Invo's for great grip, long life, and high speed stability. I had mine at 24psi driving around all the time, and they always hooked on the street and at the strip. I also got 15-20k miles on a set of rears, but probably should have replaced them sooner to drive in the rain.

However, you make more power than I do, and you are more serious about drag racing, so the NT-05R's are gonna be a better choice for you, but don't recommend driving them in the rain, and you might get 5000 miles out of them. Also, they tend to walk A LOT over 160mph with low tire pressure (needed to hook at the strip) so just be careful with that.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dang roe owners....lol

i think the cups are stickier. i never purposely spin my tires, it just means you are not moving forward fast enough :)

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..... i never purposely spin my tires, it just means you are not moving forward fast enough :)

I use that technique as an excuse to mask my crappy launches - I balme it on the power of the car and fall back on the "you know I'd beat you if I had traction" argument.....but basically I can't drag race to save my life.

...but someday I will have a 510 stroker too :D :envy

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really loved the Invo's for great grip, long life, and high speed stability. I had mine at 24psi driving around all the time, and they always hooked on the street and at the strip. I also got 15-20k miles on a set of rears, but probably should have replaced them sooner to drive in the rain.

However, you make more power than I do, and you are more serious about drag racing, so the NT-05R's are gonna be a better choice for you, but don't recommend driving them in the rain, and you might get 5000 miles out of them. Also, they tend to walk A LOT over 160mph with low tire pressure (needed to hook at the strip) so just be careful with that.

Thank you, Malu59rt!

Your advice is very much welcomed and will help me a lot on which tire to purchase.

I also drive very slow in the rain no matter what shoes the viper is wearing.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
dang roe owners....lol

i think the cups are stickier. i never purposely spin my tires, it just means you are not moving forward fast enough :)

Oh, I see. So the ps2s are not going to do much for my acr since I plan on doing 3:55 gears in the future too. No spinning tire festival for my car anymore :omg: Car even changed lanes with the worn out sport cups when I shifted fast into 2nd. gear. Not a very pleasant feeling :crazy2: . Luckily, There was nobody beside me...

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
..but someday I will have a 510 stroker too :D :envy[/QUOTE] FastZilla]

I wouldn't even go that far. If I could find a SCT/diablo programmer available to tune the ECU on my gen 4 would be the happiest guy in the world. 510 stroker also would = :D 24hs a day!

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I had one of my guys order me the new SuperSport for the rear. Got them to Discount Tire in 3 days - I'm loving it because everyone is telling me good luck, there is a nation wide shortage and you won't get them anytime soon. So I drive to Discount yesterday and find out my guy ordered 20", not 19".... Figured, he ordered them same time as my Jeep tires which are 20's.

Sooooo, the only choices that I could have on the car by next weekend (round up) were PS2's - Hell NO. Cups - NO (don't like having to warm up) - & Nitto 05r's.

Bought the Nitto 05r's - not crazy about Nittos (tyipcally buy MIchelin, Dunlop & BFG) simply because have no experience with them other than the Terra Graplers that came on my Wife's H2, not really a good comparison.

Well drove it the 5 miles from Discount to the shop & so it sits until the round up next week. Still have the skin on the tires. I read these Nittos are real sensitive to the 1st heat cycle so I want to burn them in correctly :D

Not much of a review, but the Monday after the Round Up I'll be able to give one.