Vipair vs OEM hood

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along with a set of wheels, I am getting an 08+ style hood for my 03 silver vert.( actually plan on replicating bmw2nv2000's old car) The Vipair hood just looks evil with its larger scoop. But I have heard that some people dont have flawless fitment and finish like they do with OEM, while others say the complete opposite. I really just want to get it painted, bolt it up and go. I got a quote from dodge for 1750 for the hood and with the seals, foam, silencer, grills, and some other component came to a total of 2530 before paint. From what I see, Vipair and Seibon hoods are much cheaper and like i said, that scoop is nasty looking being that big, but is the quality a big difference between oem and aftermarket?

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went OEM for this exact reason, just wasn't sure about fitment ($3,050 drive-out painted and mounted). But, I must say FlatOut's hood looks like it fits pretty good, just not sure of the amount of effort it took. His idea to just clear coat the CF scoop turned out really well and goes with the rest of his CF accents very nicely :2tu:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The older Vipair hoods did have some small fitment issues, we had 2 sets of molds going and one of the sets was a hair smaller than teh other so teh fenders needed to be brought in a 1/16 of an inch each side, a very simple procedure with a ratchet wrench and a push with teh hip, but then we destroyed teh old molds and made new ones.

All our hoods we make now fit perfect, OEM hood pads bolt right up and OEM hood grills fit perfect if you want to pay $500 for 6 pieces of plastic.

Andy (Flatout) has the newer mold hood, which is all we have been making for about 2 years now.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a vipair hood and now the OEM,the factory hood is much better than the after market one.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car had a Vipair hood on it when I bought it and its one of the main things that attracted me to the car. It's mean looking, and just like the vert to coupe rear end Vipair sells, it's how they should have come from the factory. I think the speedster bubble is the next thing I need to get!

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard many great things about their new molds so I'd say get a carbon Vipair hood, I am :)

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask 345s-bspinnin his opinion, he has the Vipair hood (not sure if early or late version). When compared side-by-side with my OEM version, I believe he'd agree that there is no comparison as far as quality. But, you can't get a CF hood in OEM.

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask 345s-bspinnin his opinion, he has the Vipair hood (not sure if early or late version). When compared side-by-side with my OEM version, I believe he'd agree that there is no comparison as far as quality. But, you can't get a CF hood in OEM.

I do believe Steve sells the OEM style in carbon ;)

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do believe Steve sells the OEM style in carbon ;)

Correct, he sells OEM style but not OEM. I do think his OEM style hoods look good in CF, but lack the factory quality, as far as vent screens and hood latch. I hope your build is going well, and if you've decided on the Vipair OEM style hood, I'm sure you'll dig it (especially in CF) :headbang:

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, he sells OEM style but not OEM. I do think his OEM style hoods look good in CF, but lack the factory quality, as far as vent screens and hood latch. I hope your build is going well, and if you've decided on the Vipair OEM style hood, I'm sure you'll dig it (especially in CF) :headbang:

I am going with his big mouth center scoop 08 style hood. He said his new molds allow for factory vent screens as well. Haven't heard the hood latch claims though, might have been an isolated issue and not a mass production issue.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going with his big mouth center scoop 08 style hood. He said his new molds allow for factory vent screens as well. Haven't heard the hood latch claims though, might have been an isolated issue and not a mass production issue.

Hey Alan,

The hood screens I supply at no charge are an aluminum mesh (that most people that get the hoods love), my new hoods also accept the factory Hood screens. The factory hood screens cost an additional $370-$500 (depending on where you get them) and the factory hoods do not come with them or any aluminum ones either.

F

FrgMstr

I bought a used fiberglass Vipair 08 style hood when Cubican here wanted to go CF.

I had one of the newer ones, I think, and it fit just damn near perfect. Was much lighter than OE hood too. No complaints here. Looked great, worked well, and did not shudder like the OE hood did on really rough road surfaces.

Never had any latch issues either.

Never much cared for the expanded aluminum grills supplied and just left those out. I never found a reason to install those, and honestly, I think the hood looked better with the holes exposed.