Considering a winged GTS

//M5Guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been conisdering a winged GTS that is for sale in GA and having a PPI done on it. A good friend who is knowledgable about Vipers tells me to stay away from a winged car because it was probably raced and the downforce wreaks havoc on the suspension and rear frame. He also is adamant that it will be impossible to keep the wheels in alignment. This car has a Syracuse and Spencer port New York history I see on Car Fax and Auto Check. I'm not going to race it, it's just going to be a weekender. What do you think?

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 183

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you might also be buying it from somebody that just used it to cruise around on weekends ... just like you plan to do.
Every situation is unique. Do your best to find out the details.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been conisdering a winged GTS that is for sale in GA and having a PPI done on it. A good friend who is knowledgable about Vipers tells me to stay away from a winged car because it was probably raced and the downforce wreaks havoc on the suspension and rear frame. He also is adamant that it will be impossible to keep the wheels in alignment. This car has a Syracuse and Spencer port New York history I see on Car Fax and Auto Check. I'm not going to race it, it's just going to be a weekender. What do you think?

Sounds like your friend just doesn't like wings. First, very few Vipers ever see track time (not likely raced, just ask) Down force only comes into play at very high speeds normal cruising, little to insignificant downforce. Alignment issues from a wing???? Frame issues???? Doubtful. If the car checks out and you like it BUY IT!

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am like his friend i don't think wings look good on any GTS !

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
That wing doesn't look adjustable anyways. I doubt it adds much downforce.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A wing adjusted to neutral is fine for looks. Adds some stability. Can tip it down somewhat on a low speed course. It is worse than useless if appropriate front end downforce is not part of the package. As in my car having an autoform daytona (wider nose) and splitter. GTS Bruce

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your friend isn't too bright. I would make sure you love the wing prior to purchase because if you decide to remove it later it could be exspensive and a PITA.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope your friend doesn't own a truck and put things in the bed of it, I heard that can wear out the suspension and frame. He probably thinks wings on front wheel drive cars are useless.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUY IT :D Its a Viper, they have always been associated with winning and Race tracks Look in early sales brochures, there's normally a picture of a race car in there somewhere :) That wing looks like the GT2 wing, the camera angle is slightly bad making the wing look a little taller than it really is.
As for your friends comments about frame problems and alignment :rolleyes: Sorry but I don't agree with any of that. I also wonder what people mean by track time? Sure if the car has been in a 12, or 24 hr race then things may be a bit worn, BUT to do the odd few laps on a Viper track day where most owners are NOT race drivers and are not really pushing the CAR to its limits, personally I don't see any problem in that at all. Its good for these cars to stretch their legs once in a while instead of being kept in an air bubble.

The wing (as i have said before on other posts, is very good for coffee mugs and sandwiches at car meets too) :D Make sure you put a cloth down first ;)

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On racetrack, where every other car has one, fits in with the rest. Huge wing on a street car looks silly. It's a viper...doesn't need any help to look or go fast with extra pieces of plastic stuck on here and there.

The wing (as i have said before on other posts, is very good for coffee mugs and sandwiches at car meets too) Make sure you put a cloth down first

Well there you go mate...at least there's some utility in the thing after all. That wing is so large, bet if parked correctly, could offer quite a bit of shade too.

Last edited:

vipertanz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 96 has a hennesy wing. I have never had a problem with tire allignment or any frame isssues.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On racetrack, where every other car has one, fits in with the rest. Huge wing on a street car looks silly. It's a viper...doesn't need any help to look or go fast with extra pieces of plastic stuck on here and there.

Well there you go mate...at least there's some utility in the thing after all. That wing is so large, bet if parked correctly, could offer quite a bit of shade too.
Have a look at this article / Video, Fun at 2:07 :D

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...+Chris+Harris+video:+the+GT3+RS+4.0&mid=68474

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS already has a rear lip spoiler for downforce (if needed). Adding that wing is like putting on a big pair of shorts and then a smaller pair of shorts over the big pair so they both show. Looks strangely over done to me.

Now, the RT/10 can use a wing with its flat trunk and no lip. Just my opinion. If you like it, buy it.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well there you go mate...at least there's some utility in the thing after all. That wing is so large, bet if parked correctly, could offer

quite a bit of shade too.

well, firstly , wings don't make them go faster, they hold the rear end of the car down on high speeds. Properly fitted, it shold have a splitter in the front end to balance the wieght ratio. That said, it certainly does not need a wing or other accesories on a street application. Either does teh porsche GT3, or teh lamborghini or the Zagonda but, it is a statement that provides attention and respect in that the Viper is and has been capable of high speeds and race applications as it has proven itself over and over again on the track. Saying that is is silly and look awful tells me you either don't have one, can't have one, or want one. Im sure if someone gave you a choice over the other exotics i named earlier, you would take either one over its standard model carrera or gallardo.
Now, If you put them on hondas and acuras, thats silly as they are not high speed race cars or have the means or parts to fullfill as one. There is something to say about teh Oreca cars and the ACR's. They have them because they make sense and tehy Damn look awsome with them. Picture an ACR without one....oh ya..that would make it a SRT-10 coupe. Which one would yourather have if given to you. The ACR with the "ugly wing and body panels,or, the coupe...

That said...look at what Im driving....lol:headbang:

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what's the update?

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the GT 2 wing on the Viper!

I find it too small and short. Plus it is not functional. Prefer the Lemans Wing myself. 70"inches long and functional stantions. I believe the GT2 wing was made as an accessory and not for functionality. Nice wing though.

OP
OP
M

//M5Guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what's the update?
I had a PPI scheduled on it for last Tuesday and when he came to look at the car and take more pictures of it for me, the dealership told him it had been sold Monday. I've been told Palmer is very highly regarded when it comes to Vipers, however, I would never buy a car without a PPI. He did get to look at it though and told me although there was plenty of tread on the tires (50%), a common mistake in buying older Vipers is not replacing the tires because the rubber hardens on the PS2s and most soft compound tires over time and can make the car a handful to control and the tires were 8 years old. He also said the wing had been professionally installed with an excellent paint match. Alas!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He did get to look at it though and told me although there was plenty of tread on the tires (50%), a common mistake in buying older Vipers is not replacing the tires because the rubber hardens on the PS2s and most soft compound tires over time and can make the car a handful to control and the tires were 8 years old.

Definitely that is the number warning to someone buying a Viper. Plan on new tires unless they are less than X years old. The X number is a big debate; but, if you are new to this kind of car (power+torque), then the better/fresher the tires are, the better off you are. (Most would say that 8 > X )

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth