Three Sisters are coming.....

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there have been a LOT of you waiting at the edge of your seat for more info on the Three Sisters Run... well your wait is finally over! Our own Mr. Larry Hudler has gone to great lengths to put together an event that will be etched in your memory for years to come. I encourage you, as a VCA member and as a Texan, to come out and experience one of the best roads ever built in this great state of ours. As you can see, Larry has thought of everything. Many may even make a weekend out of it. I will start a thread on the forums for this as well. Feel free to contact Larry, myself, or any board member with questions you may have. We will get them answered ASAP for you. This is going to be a GREAT run! Many thanks go out to Larry for his time and effort on this one. Larry has composed the following announcement for all fellow Viper Club members:

Hello Viper Community!

The Swiss Alps of Texas will be conquered with the roar of our Vipers. For map click: http://g.co/maps/gd2rn (See original description below at bottom.)

WHEN: Saturday April 21st, meet at 8:00 AM and leave at 8:30 AM.

WHERE: Meet at Panera Bread, Blanco Road @ Loop 1604, San Antonio, (Target Shopping where Coffee & Rides meets). For a map click: http://g.co/maps/5zw27

FUEL: A semi-full tank will get you to our gas stop in Leakey, TX, but at least have enough fuel to make it to our first stop in Bandera, TX, (45 miles).

WHAT: We will leave Panera Bread at 8:30 for a two hour ride to Leakey, but we will stop half way at the large Exxon station on HWY 16 as we enter Bandera, TX, (for those with small bladders after coffee like me). In Leaky we will stop for fuel and snacks at the corner of RR 83 & 1120, it's a large Stripes gas station (10 fuel pumps & a Subway sandwich shop). We will have about 20 minutes at the Stripes and then get back on RR 83 north for a half mile, then turn left (west) on RR 337 and pass the Bent Rim Grill and Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop where we will meet for lunch after the 96 mile Three Sisters run. The loop run will take 1.5 to 2.0 hours depending on your speed. I will pass out maps to everyone as we get started. On the Three Sisters loop we can ride as a group or feel free to blast on if you want, (just watch out for motorcycles) . We will meet back at the Bent Rim Grill, www.bentrimgrill.com about 1:30PM for great burgers & drinks on the back porch while we share stories of the exciting ride. (Live entertainment is scheduled for that day.) When full we will head back to the Stripes gas station to top off our tanks before the drive back.

LODGING OPTIONS: Option 1: The Drury Plaza Hotel, 823 N. Loop 1604 East, 210-494-2420 is about a mile from Panera Bread. It has limited access structured parking, (you have to have a room key to actually get in the garage). They have a guard between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM and full security video. Rates are about $119. https://wwws.druryhotels.com/PropertyHotelServices.aspx?Property=0153 Option 2: Make a Hill Country weekend out of it and go to Concan TX on the beautiful Frio River. Concan, TX is 20 minutes from the Stripes gas station on RR 83 in Leaky, TX where you can meet up with the main group at about 11:00 AM Saturday morning. Two suggestions for where to stay, Neal's Lodges or River Rim Resort. Keep in mind there is nothing fancy in Concan, I drove both of these properties this weekend and talked to the managers, although no "secure" parking at either, they seemed real OK to me. Neal's Lodges (830 232 6118) http://nealslodges.com/ has asphalt drives to about half of their units and they have a restaurant across the street. River Rim Resort (830 232 5758) http://www.riverrimresort.com/index.html has crushed compacted cinder drives which again were OK to me. Both are right on the Frio River and neat places. River Rim is out from town and very quiet while Neal's is in "town" with a few other things happening around it. Both are "lodges" so check with them for details, (at River Rim Resort you have to bring your own sheets). It really is a cool part of the Texas Hill Country if your looking for something different.

DRIVING DETAILS: I will have maps for everyone at Panera Bread, but for those that want the details ahead of time. From Panera Bread we will Drive Loop 1604 west to I.H. 10 North to HWY 46 West in Boerne, TX. We will go 11 miles west on 46 to HWY 16 where we will go another 11 miles to Bandera, TX where we will stop at the Exxon gas station. Then we will continue through Bandera on Hwy 16, 12 miles to Medina TX were we will turn left (west) on RR 337 and travel 20 miles west to Vanderpool, TX where we will make a right on RR 187 for about a mile then turn left on the continuation of RR 337 and go 14.5 miles to Leaky, TX. (Note the great elevation changes and hair pen turns...some with 10 mph signs. Also, watch out for motorcycles and even bicycles.) In Leakey, TX at the blinking red light which is RR 83 we will turn left (south) for less than a mile at the blinking yellow light, RR 1120 where we will stop at the Stripes gas station. From the Stripes we will go back on RR 83 and return to RR 337 where we will turn left (west). After about a half mile you will see the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Shop and the Bent Rim Grill, (both are in one building). We will continue 22 miles on RR 337 to Camp Wood, TX where we will turn right (north) on 55, we will travel north for 4.5 miles to Barksdale, TX and pick up RR 335 on our right. Travel 29 miles north on RR 335 to HWY 41 where we will turn right (east) for 10 miles to RR 336 where we will turn right (south) and travel 28 miles back to Leakey. In Leakey turn right (west) on RR 337 and go to Frio Canyon Motorcycle Shop & Bent Rim Grill. Before their big white sign at the fork in the road, angle left onto Cattail Road so you can enter the side parking lot and park in the grass out away from the building.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for great weather! It will be a great ride!

Any Questions - Contact Larry Hudler direct at [email protected] or feel free to reply to this and I will get your questions answered.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt, if we wanted to meet up with y'all sometime Saturday for the sisters part, where would you suggest we meet up with y'all? I really want to do this if I can work it into my schedule. Thanks-

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's worth the drive down from DFW! In my motorcycle days we made an annual trip down from DFW to run these roads for 4 days.

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt, if we wanted to meet up with y'all sometime Saturday for the sisters part, where would you suggest we meet up with y'all? I really want to do this if I can work it into my schedule. Thanks-

Best best from out of town is to stay at one of the many lodging choices Larry has come up with. If you want to begin and end the trip with our club the Drury Inn is your best bet, we are leaving at 8:30AM and you will want to be rested. If you would rather make a Hill Country weekend out of it you could always meet us at the Stripes gas station but I don't know what time we would be rolling through there, maybe 10AM?

If you pick the Drury let me know, we live about 10 minutes away- can catch dinner or a drink or go out to the local Biff's Car show that Friday night.

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. In fact most people I take on this run in the past thought the road to Leakey WAS the famed twisted sisters!

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just booked my room at the Drury. Should be there around 6:00 PM on Friday evening. Art

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric- we'll miss ya... Next time hope ya can make it.

AJ- look me up when you get in town. I'm only a few minutes away. We can hit Biffs car show if you like.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want to caution members planning on meeting at the "Rendezvous" point there is heavy construction ongoing at 281 and 1604. Hwy 1604 lately has been shut down to just one lane for several miles, East and West of 281, on Saturdays. If you normally would use this route to get to the meeting point, which is where we meet every last Saturday of the month for Coffee & Rides, you might want to map the area and consider taking back roads to the Mall where Panera Bread is located.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely not familiar with the area. Alternate routes would be appreciated.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alternate Routes

Avoiding the “Construction Mess” at Loop 1604 and 281 .....

San Antonio: There are two “Loops” around the city.
The outside Loop is Loop 1604.
The inside Loop is Loop 410.

Panera Bread: Panera Bread (where we are meeting) is located in the Vinyard Shopping Center on the North side of San Antonio, adjacent Blanco Road and Loop 1604.
Address: 1203 N Loop 1604 W. Suite 121, San Antonio, TX 78258

For Locals:

If you are local, and are traveling South down 281 to the 1604 Loop, you may want to take the Stone Oak Parkway exit before you get to Loop 1604. Exit right on Stone Oak Parkway and then right again on Huebner Road. Then exit left from Huebner Road directly onto Blanco Road. The Vinyard Shopping Center where Panera Bread is located will then shortly thereafter be on the right.

If you are traveling North up 281 to the 1604 Loop, you may want to exit off 281 at Bitters Road. Take a left on Bitters Road. When you come to Blanco Road, exit, and take a right onto Blanco Road. Continue North on Blanco Road, crossing Loop 1604. The Vinyard Shopping Center where Panera Bread is located is directly on your immediate left upon crossing Loop 1604.

For Out of Towners’:

Coming from Austin, Waco, Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex:

If you are coming in to San Antonio from IH-35 (heading South from the North, such as Austin, Waco or Dallas / Ft. Worth); you will want to avoid exiting altogether on Loop 1604 (Also known as Anderson Freeway); and continue heading South to Loop NE 410. Exit right at Exit 226 onto NE Loop 410. Continue on NE Loop 410 to 281 North (Exit 21). You will be turning right (North) onto 281, toward Johnson City. From 281 take the Bitters Road exit and turn left on Bitters Road. Take Bitters Road to Blanco Road. Take a right onto Blanco Road, and continue North on Blanco Road, crossing Loop 1604. The Vinyard Shopping Center where Panera Bread is located is directly on your immediate left upon crossing Loop 1604.

Coming from Houston:

If you are coming in to San Antonio off IH-10 (heading West from Houston), exit right onto NE 410 Loop. Turn right onto NE Loop 410. (Note: Loop 410 merges with IH-35). Continue North on Loop 410/IH-35 until you come to the NE Loop 410 Exit. Exit right and stay on NE Loop 410 (you will now actually be traveling East on Loop 410. Continue on NE Loop 410 to 281 North (Exit 21). You will be turning right (North) onto 281, which is out toward Johnson City. Continue North on 281 and take the Bitters Road exit. Turn left on Bitters Road. Take Bitters Road to Blanco Road. Take a right onto Blanco Road, and continue North on Blanco Road, crossing Loop 1604. The Vinyard Shopping Center where Panera Bread is located is directly on your immediate left upon crossing Loop 1604.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Map showing Panera Bread at the Vinyard Shopping Center .....

Attachments

• Panera Bread.jpg
    Panera Bread.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in, I will be there Friday afternoon. Where is that car show on friday night at.

Are you by chance thinking of Biff Buzby's Burgers?
12702 Toepperwein Road, Live Oak, TX (San Antonio).

I think Chris G. frequents this establishment on occasion on Fridays.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather forecast for our area this weekend is predicted so far, to be very good.
But ...... it is Texas, and it could change at a moments notice.
Fingers crossed, cause I'm looking very much forward to this.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm looking at the map right---isn't the Drury Inn on the north frontage road for the loop and Panera Bread also? Couldn't I just come down 281 to this frontage road to the hotel and then stay on it heading west to Panera?

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the problem is on 1604 and 35 they are bulding an overpass. Im staying at the hotel when are you arriving.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem to which I'm making reference is the intersection area of 1604 and 281, which is just East of Blanco Rd.
On Saturdays, they have been shutting 3 of the 4 lanes down on each of the 1604 roadways, either side of this intersection. 1604 West is more affected than 1604 East, but both are affected adversely.
It creates a traffic jam for several miles, of seemingly endless bumper to bumper traffic.
AJ02 - you are already basically there. If this were a hurricane, you'd be in the "Eye-of-the-Storm". This should not affect you.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, of course it's raining today!!!!:mad: Heck with it. I'm coming anyway. I'll just drive like grandpa and hope everyone stays away from me.

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The local car show every Friday night is at Biff Buzby's Burgers located at 12702 Toepperwein Road Live Oak, TX 78233

I would suggest getting there around 5:30-6PM to get a good spot, it is $5 to park but the ticket is also a $5 coupon to Biff Buzby's. GREAT Hamburgers! Elvis usually comes on around 7 to 8PM and it is over by 10PM, tonight will be a great night for it in the high 50's.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Had a blast!!! Met some great people, and drove a fantastic road with some beautiful cars. Thanks, Art

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saramartin90