Where is drain plug location for coolant?

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changed my oil lines and now want to change my coolant.

Had a look under and could not find a drain valve. Do I Ned to remove the front bumper?

Also where can I find valve on the upper rad to let out air?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to do it right, you will need to drain the block too. Assuming your Gen III is like my Gen II, you first need to drain the radiator (drain plug on underside), remove coolant bottle if it has any overflow (in bumper) and open the 2 NPT plugs in the block under the exhaust manifold. I filed down a 3/8" extension to do it but you could probably buy the male 5/16" (I think) pipe plug socket.

Use distilled water in your coolant mix. And don't forget to recycle your old coolant at your local dump, not down the drain. Good luck!

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did this in my '05. According to the factory service manual you just need to drain the radiator (look at the bottom of it on the driver's side -- you'll see a black valve that opens by hand) and there are engine block drains, one on each side. They are pretty obvious, though getting to the one above the starter is a bit of a challenge. All in all, though, a pretty easy service item if you can safely get under your car.

Bryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper