Thread: GTS Coupe Water leak

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default GTS Coupe Water leak

Ok I thought the reason the carpet in my Viper was getting wet in the rain was do to the doors leaking, which some of the leak was there which I have solved. However my passenger floor is still getting wet and it looks like it may be coming from the firewall somewhere. Anyone know where the possible leak could be (windshield, firewall, HVAC, etc)?

Viper Owner

Default Re: GTS Coupe Water leak

Probably the heater core. It is located right under the dash in the square box.

Viper Owner

if i have the vents open during a car washing then that will happen sometimes..... i just close/shut off the vent's when i wash da viper & no more prob's...

Enthusiast

It only gets wet when it rains so I doubt its the heater core. This may sound stupid but how do I close the vents?

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by 72hemi View Post
    It only gets wet when it rains so I doubt its the heater core. This may sound stupid but how do I close the vents?
    i turn the vent controls off when i wash it & i don't drive it in the rain:
    Attached Images

Enthusiast

Thanks, that is what I thought you meant, just wanted to make sure.

Viper Owner

Love the pic. Good stuff.

Even with mine at 0 i still get heat coming out of the passenger lower vent sometimes....

Enthusiast

Dom,

Check the heater hose cable flapper valve on the passenger side firewall under the hood. It controls coolant flow to the core. Check for full closure and adjust cable and oil linkage as necessary. Sometimes they get stuck or need a small adjustment. Good Luck!

Dave

God Bless!

Enthusiast

Some GTS's had/have a leak right on top the windshield frame behind the mirror!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dom426h View Post
    Love the pic. Good stuff.

Even with mine at 0 i still get heat coming out of the passenger lower vent sometimes....

Dom,

Check the heater hose cable flapper valve on the passenger side firewall under the hood. It controls coolant flow to the core. Check for full closure and adjust cable and oil linkage as necessary. Sometimes they get stuck or need a small adjustment. Good Luck!

Dave

God Bless!

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by moparracing View Post
    i turn the vent controls off when i wash it & i don't drive it in the rain:

Do you mind me asking what year your window switches are from? Those aren't stock for 97 are they??

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by eabrillon1978 View Post
    Do you mind me asking what year your window switches are from? Those aren't stock for 97 are they??
    they are stock on my '97 GTS.......

Viper Owner

sids1190_1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by moparracing View Post
    they are stock on my '97 GTS.......

Strange... Are you the original owner? My friend has a 97 and I a 98 and both of our switches are identical (above photo). I like yours and would put them in mine if I new for sure what year they were out of.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by eabrillon1978 View Post
    Attachment 19503

Strange... Are you the original owner? My friend has a 97 and I a 98 and both of our switches are identical (above photo). I like yours and would put them in mine if I new for sure what year they were out of.
    don't know what to tell ya, '96/'97 have my switches while '98 to '02 have your's........

check out the autotrader pics to see:
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Record=1&Log=0

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS View Post
    Some GTS's had/have a leak right on top the windshield frame behind the mirror!
    That's exactly where mine was. Would drip to my console, run to the carpet from there. Clear sealant did the trick, but took me two tries.

Enthusiast

The carpet on the passenger side is getting wet on the far right side of the floor not the center.

Viper Owner

Hey, had the same issue, appeared to be heater core, had to remove the big box containing it and recharge ac. I had previously watched the water dump onto my floor when accelerating, but all signs pointed to heater core with windows closed heater on, would fog windows. Did this last week and Judging by rotted heater core pictures attached, i believe that will be your culprit. About $210 for the part and 3 hours or so to do, plus getting ac recharged. The flapper thing also mentioned would dump below the carpet when looking through the hole behind the flapper you can see that. This water was dumping directly down from above and soaking the carpet. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images

Enthusiast

Thanks for the input but its not the heater core. Only happens when it rains or I wash the car.

Viper Owner

I have this same issue, I have found if I open the hood place a plastic grocery bag over the fresh air intake hole (its the four inch hole under the passenger side speaker grill on the hood.) and then close the hood I get no water in the car while washing it. I try hard to never be out when it's raining. I have gotten caught out one time in almost two years. But it's not a terrible amount of water. I just removed the floor mat wet vacuumed it and let it dry no big deal. I have searched many times for a solution with no luck.

Viper Owner

Ah well im hoping this was my only issue, made it through the last couple rains without any issues so i hope it stays that way. Otherwise i see it as a funky design for the air intake box, it looks to have about a 1" plastic/rubber drain hose in the front corner towards the motor, that looks to be there to drain out the water that comes in the hood vent. My hose was in like a pinched position as well, and looks like it would prohibit water from exiting that air box in the way it was meant to.

If that hose on the bottom of the vent airbox is pinched or obstructed, and doesnt allow the water to exit the box, it will fill up the 2" over the lip of the circle air intake, and flow down the vent and onto the floor via the 2 duct connections in the passenger dash area. I think this may have been an issue at some point as well on this car, since there was water stains inside of the ducting when i removed it to do the heater core. Figure its worth checking, water can only get to that floor by a couple of routes.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItHappen View Post
    Ah well im hoping this was my only issue, made it through the last couple rains without any issues so i hope it stays that way. Otherwise i see it as a funky design for the air intake box, it looks to have about a 1" plastic/rubber drain hose in the front corner towards the motor, that looks to be there to drain out the water that comes in the hood vent. My hose was in like a pinched position as well, and looks like it would prohibit water from exiting that air box in the way it was meant to.

If that hose on the bottom of the vent airbox is pinched or obstructed, and doesnt allow the water to exit the box, it will fill up the 2" over the lip of the circle air intake, and flow down the vent and onto the floor via the 2 duct connections in the passenger dash area. I think this may have been an issue at some point as well on this car, since there was water stains inside of the ducting when i removed it to do the heater core. Figure its worth checking, water can only get to that floor by a couple of routes.

Thanks for the tip, I will check into this.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by AHudson777 View Post
    That's exactly where mine was. Would drip to my console, run to the carpet from there. Clear sealant did the trick, but took me two tries.
    Same thing happened to my 2002 Bee.

Enthusiast

The foam around the fitting at the top of the heater box goes bad.Put a towel in the foot well and run a garden hose slowly around the fitting at the top of the heater box. Water will probably come in. If so, pack some paper towels around the fitting and the water should stop. The fix is to fill the space around the fitting with silicone sealer. Good luck.