GTS Coupe Water leak

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I thought the reason the carpet in my Viper was getting wet in the rain was do to the doors leaking, which some of the leak was there which I have solved. However my passenger floor is still getting wet and it looks like it may be coming from the firewall somewhere. Anyone know where the possible leak could be (windshield, firewall, HVAC, etc)?

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i have the vents open during a car washing then that will happen sometimes..... i just close/shut off the vent's when i wash da viper & no more prob's...

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It only gets wet when it rains so I doubt its the heater core. This may sound stupid but how do I close the vents?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the pic. Good stuff.

Even with mine at 0 i still get heat coming out of the passenger lower vent sometimes....

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dom,

Check the heater hose cable flapper valve on the passenger side firewall under the hood. It controls coolant flow to the core. Check for full closure and adjust cable and oil linkage as necessary. Sometimes they get stuck or need a small adjustment. Good Luck! :D

Dave

God Bless!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some GTS's had/have a leak right on top the windshield frame behind the mirror!

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the pic. Good stuff.

Even with mine at 0 i still get heat coming out of the passenger lower vent sometimes....

Dom,

Check the heater hose cable flapper valve on the passenger side firewall under the hood. It controls coolant flow to the core. Check for full closure and adjust cable and oil linkage as necessary. Sometimes they get stuck or need a small adjustment. Good Luck!

Dave

God Bless!

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
they are stock on my '97 GTS.......

Strange... Are you the original owner? My friend has a 97 and I a 98 and both of our switches are identical (above photo). I like yours and would put them in mine if I new for sure what year they were out of.

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Strange... Are you the original owner? My friend has a 97 and I a 98 and both of our switches are identical (above photo). I like yours and would put them in mine if I new for sure what year they were out of.
don't know what to tell ya, '96/'97 have my switches while '98 to '02 have your's........

check out the autotrader pics to see:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...rdsfyc=gts&searchRadius=0&firstRecord=1&Log=0

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some GTS's had/have a leak right on top the windshield frame behind the mirror!

That's exactly where mine was. Would drip to my console, run to the carpet from there. Clear sealant did the trick, but took me two tries.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The carpet on the passenger side is getting wet on the far right side of the floor not the center.

MakeItHappen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, had the same issue, appeared to be heater core, had to remove the big box containing it and recharge ac. I had previously watched the water dump onto my floor when accelerating, but all signs pointed to heater core with windows closed heater on, would fog windows. Did this last week and Judging by rotted heater core pictures attached, i believe that will be your culprit. About $210 for the part and 3 hours or so to do, plus getting ac recharged. The flapper thing also mentioned would dump below the carpet when looking through the hole behind the flapper you can see that. This water was dumping directly down from above and soaking the carpet. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• before and during 063.jpg
    before and during 063.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 50
  • before and during 061.jpg
    before and during 061.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 50
  • before and during 066.jpg
    before and during 066.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 45
  • before and during 065.jpg
    before and during 065.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input but its not the heater core. Only happens when it rains or I wash the car.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have this same issue, I have found if I open the hood place a plastic grocery bag over the fresh air intake hole (its the four inch hole under the passenger side speaker grill on the hood.) and then close the hood I get no water in the car while washing it. I try hard to never be out when it's raining. I have gotten caught out one time in almost two years. But it's not a terrible amount of water. I just removed the floor mat wet vacuumed it and let it dry no big deal. I have searched many times for a solution with no luck.

MakeItHappen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah well im hoping this was my only issue, made it through the last couple rains without any issues so i hope it stays that way. Otherwise i see it as a funky design for the air intake box, it looks to have about a 1" plastic/rubber drain hose in the front corner towards the motor, that looks to be there to drain out the water that comes in the hood vent. My hose was in like a pinched position as well, and looks like it would prohibit water from exiting that air box in the way it was meant to.

If that hose on the bottom of the vent airbox is pinched or obstructed, and doesnt allow the water to exit the box, it will fill up the 2" over the lip of the circle air intake, and flow down the vent and onto the floor via the 2 duct connections in the passenger dash area. I think this may have been an issue at some point as well on this car, since there was water stains inside of the ducting when i removed it to do the heater core. Figure its worth checking, water can only get to that floor by a couple of routes.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah well im hoping this was my only issue, made it through the last couple rains without any issues so i hope it stays that way. Otherwise i see it as a funky design for the air intake box, it looks to have about a 1" plastic/rubber drain hose in the front corner towards the motor, that looks to be there to drain out the water that comes in the hood vent. My hose was in like a pinched position as well, and looks like it would prohibit water from exiting that air box in the way it was meant to.

If that hose on the bottom of the vent airbox is pinched or obstructed, and doesnt allow the water to exit the box, it will fill up the 2" over the lip of the circle air intake, and flow down the vent and onto the floor via the 2 duct connections in the passenger dash area. I think this may have been an issue at some point as well on this car, since there was water stains inside of the ducting when i removed it to do the heater core. Figure its worth checking, water can only get to that floor by a couple of routes.

Thanks for the tip, I will check into this.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The foam around the fitting at the top of the heater box goes bad.Put a towel in the foot well and run a garden hose slowly around the fitting at the top of the heater box. Water will probably come in. If so, pack some paper towels around the fitting and the water should stop. The fix is to fill the space around the fitting with silicone sealer. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper