Flying to View/Buy my Viper in NC - Normal Mechanic Inspection worth it?

Natrops

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to view/buy a low-milage Viper ('08 Vert 3400 miles) tomorrow in NC. Is it worth having a normal mechanic at a Dodge Dealer do an inspection?

I know nothing about cars...I had my local dealer to a VIN lookup and he confirmed In-Service Date and that there were no Warranty Claims shown.

Just trying to figure out what last-minute due-diligence I should do. My thoughts are it's such low mileage that it should be in good shape.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jason

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have someone from the VCA who lives in North Carolina go check it out for you. Especially, if that VCA person owns a Viper of their own. They would be a much better person to look the car over than a mechanic at a Dodge Dealer.

I bought my car from Detroit, and was fortunate enough to have a VCA member living there go check it out for me. I actually bought my car sight unseen and had it shipped to me in MA after the VCA member told me the car was in great condition and he would buy it if he had the money after checking it out for me. Not saying you'll do the same, but I would definitely see if someone on here could go check it out for you first before you flew there.

I'm sure someone will chime in from NC.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to a Dodge dealer - preferably one that did NOT service the car & has a Viper Tech. Pay the 1-2 hours of labor for a PPI. Since it's an `08 it may have warranty (extended) remaning , make sure it transfers with the vehicle or if there is a credit remaining on the warranty the price is adjusted accordingly. Get the PPI in writing (all the checks, etc, tech's signature & name). If you a financing, see if your bank has major mechanical coverage offered, get it - the PPI will serve as your benchmark - also helps with agred value ins policies if you ever have an ins claim.

make sure they check all the fluids, brakes, (pads/rotors), tires, ECU codes & history, etc.

I did an inspection for a VCA member on a SRT10 truck. everything "looked" a-ok, etc. A few months after he bought it several of the bolts on the ring sheared off (or were already sheared off and he just finished off the final few) - this is NOT something that a simply look-see would uncover. A fluid check durng a PPI might have revealed bolt pieces on the drain plug if they were broke beforehand - or he simply did all the damage after purchase. Wound up costing him a new axle assembly. An invasive PPI (fluid check) may have shown if damage existed before purchase.

Last edited:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What fastzilla said! Most likely the car is perfect with only 3k mi on her! Good luck!

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recommend a Viper Tech (~$200) and VCA Member (usually a beer, maybe a tummy rub...). Keep us posted - good luck!

OP
OP
N

Natrops

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info...just found out the dealer actually has a Viper Tech, PPI scheduled for 1pm tomorrow!

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to view/buy a low-milage Viper ('08 Vert 3400 miles) tomorrow in NC. Is it worth having a normal mechanic at a Dodge Dealer do an inspection?

I know nothing about cars...I had my local dealer to a VIN lookup and he confirmed In-Service Date and that there were no Warranty Claims shown.

Just trying to figure out what last-minute due-diligence I should do. My thoughts are it's such low mileage that it should be in good shape.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jason

Dont just depend on a dealers car fax. I would also check out AutoCheck as well. I flew out to MO to pick my Viper last August. I spent two days with the car. Had a Viper mechanic spend 5 hours on the car. He changed every fluild in the car and we test drove it for a half a day. The car only had 7000 miles on it. Just take your time and look the car over from bumper to bumper.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of this stuff is certainly more than I did when I bought mine...I looked it over myself without a lift, drove it, got the printout with the in-service date showing that it was still under warranty, bought it and drove it home ~900 miles. I bought it with around 9,500 miles on it, so I wasn't too concerned, especially with the warranty in place.

I'm sure it was a bit foolish on my part, but oh well...to me it was worth taking the chance, especially at the price they were asking.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy any Viper, low miles or not, without putting it up on a lift to check out the frame. These cars have been wrecked on the way home from the dealership and rebuilt without insurance claims. Just sliding one into a curb can damage the frame. Do your due dilligence and you will always be glad you did. Good luck and hope to see pics soon.