Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 gts
b&b headers,hi flow cats, cat back
smooth tubes
k&n filter
1.7 roller rockers
Roe racing sct tune

Im installing the roller rockers and uploading the tune then going to have it thrown on the dyno to make sure a/f ratios are cool and no flat spots. Id really love to see 500rwhp and 500< rwtq but i feel like thats a real stretch what do you guys think?. Also should i be going with anyone else for a tune and im also going to have the fans kick on earlier and skip shift disabled, anything else i should specify?Also im I over looking any other relatively cheap/easy mods for power? . . .other misc mods i have now are eibach springs/cups, short shifter, gen4 bbk. Also looking to do colder thermo stat & possibly radiator idk

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a guess, but 435RWHP/495RWTQ. With a good tune, you might get another 15RWHP. To get over 500 RWHP, you wull need a set of Greg Good heads.

Last edited:

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a guess, but 435RWHP/495RWTQ. With a g ood tune, you might get another 15RWHP. To get over 500 RWHP, you wull need a set of Greg Good heads.

Yep pretty much what I was thinking.

I had bellanger headers, magnaflow exhaust, filters and tubes, SCT tune and made 445hp/495tq.

Keep in mind though, with my mail order Roe tune I only had 410hp/480tq. I had my shop dyno tune my SCT and picked up the extra power.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm so you think I would gain with a custom dyno tune over the mail order roe

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm so you think I would gain with a custom dyno tune over the mail order roe

Yes. Roe sends you a more conservative tune so you don't blow your stuff up and blame them.

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just run a 200 shot of nitrous and gain 200whp/250 wtq. You can put together a complete system for under 2k.:2tu:

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on the heads. I have a Gen I that I am procuring parts for in my quest for 500RWHP and everybody I have spoken to have suggested all the mods you are doing plus a set of GG heads. The heads being the single biggest part of the equation the take advantage of the other mods you are doing. I am interested to see what you get minus the heads.

Craig,

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 1 did 410HP and 476TQ with smooth tubes, Belangers and 3" exhaust. and its missing your +50HP. (Gen 1 400HP, Gen II 450HP)
You want 500HP, this is going to be easy!

A safe and conservative 50 or 100 shot of "wet" nitrous and you'll get well above 500HP... that will also shoot your TQ numbers much higher than the 450...

or if you dont like the idea of having explosives in trunk, good set of heads will do the job safely;-)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed, my 98 was 421 when it was stock with filters, add the headers and RR's you should be 450+

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm i guess that im now back down to reality anything around 460rwhp with full exhaust, rr's, smooth tubes/filters, & tune should be pretty good

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll echo everyone else and say 460ish. If you're looking for 500 you'll b able to hit that without spending TOO much more $, easy. For a quick comparison check out my mods/sig, I'm making 555hp.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want more power, you need to improve flow through the engine - sort of obvious I guess.
Your stock heads are the biggest flow restriction, followed by zorst and to even lesser extent the other cheaper and easier things to replace.
Improve your flow, in whichever way you're comfortable with.
Ade

Last edited:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 gts

I will guess about 445-450 rwhp and about 475-480 rwtq at best.......:dunno: :eater: :headbang: ( and actually I may be a bit high on my numbers) :rolleyes:

smooth tubes
k&n filter
1.7 roller rockers
Roe racing sct tune

Im installing the roller rockers and uploading the tune then going to have it thrown on the dyno to make sure a/f ratios are cool and no flat spots. Id really love to see 500rwhp and 500< rwtq but i feel like thats a real stretch what do you guys think?. Also should i be going with anyone else for a tune and im also going to have the fans kick on earlier and skip shift disabled, anything else i should specify?Also im I over looking any other relatively cheap/easy mods for power? . . .other misc mods i have now are eibach springs/cups, short shifter, gen4 bbk. Also looking to do colder thermo stat & possibly radiator idk

see my comment above.....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on the heads. I have a Gen I that I am procuring parts for in my quest for 500RWHP and everybody I have spoken to have suggested all the mods you are doing plus a set of GG heads. The heads being the single biggest part of the equation the take advantage of the other mods you are doing. I am interested to see what you get minus the heads.

Craig,

Not sure if you have seen the GG heads in the classifieds:

http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=5637&title=gen-1-greg-good-heads&cat=47

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 with B&B headers, exhaust and smooth tubes put me at 460 RWHP, your adding a tune and 1.7 rockers I will take a guess at 469. Just bolt on the ROE supercharger and you will see 610ish!!!

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 gts
smooth tubes
k&n filter
1.7 roller rockers
Roe racing sct tune

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I've been buying my parts since last year and will finally be done buying everything and having it all installed by June. I too originally hoped to achieve 500rwhp, but have realized it isn't logical without doing the heads.

My current mods are:
RandomTech High Flow Ceramic Cats
Corsa Catback Exhaust
K&N Dual FIPK
KW Variant2 Coilovers
Dave's Big Brake Kit
iForged Classic II 3piece Wheels

The rest that will be installed are:
Performance SCT Tune
AmericanRacing 1 5/8 Stepped Headers & Metallic High Flow Cats(I might decide to not run cats at all)
172 Degree Thermostat
T&D 1.7 Shaft Mount Rockers
New Pushrods
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
Centerforce Clutch
Hydrolic Slave Cylinder
3:55 Gears
B&M Short Throw Shifter
AB's QualityWires
Power Steering Pulley
Power Steering Bracket
Wood house Engine and Transmission Mounts
New Michelin Pilot Super Sports

I know you guys mentioned around 460ish, but I was originally hoping for around 475rwhp at least. If that's actually realistically possible. I know with the gears the readout will be lower, so I'm going to have the car dyno'd before the gears and after. Either way, the car will be a lot more fun to drive and I will be extremely happy with it regardless.

Last edited:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 01' motor had some of the highest HP readings I have seen for the mods I had and it's mostly the common bolt on's, except for head work.
This got me 467HP and 508TQ - 11.3 1/4 mile @125MPH on Drag Radials:

SVS Headers, highest flowing headers made in my opinion. It's a "race only" header from what my research has shown... This is where I got all my power I think. Notice the equil length headers and perfect 5 into 1 collector... this is where these headers domintate in my opinion.
You must be registered for see images

NO CATS.... NO REAR EXHAUST = LOUD! (also big power gains from no cats...)
Side Borla exhaust
Smoothe tubes / K&N drop in's
Alum flywheel
SCT Tune
...can't think nof anything else power related to get the power I did.

I installed rockers and axctually lost power... Down to about 457HP, but again... this was another day on the Dyno, so who knows if the temp / weather conditions played a role. This may have also been because the rockers are not useful without headwork, then they will add power. I still managed an 11.6 at the track with the rockers, but I was also on a harder tire... and had alot of tire spin compared to my softer drag radials (BFG G-Force DR), so that is where I think I lost the .3 tents from at the drag strip... from a harder tire (Nitto 555).

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I've been buying my parts since last year and will finally be done buying everything and having it all installed by June. I too originally hoped to achieve 500rwhp, but have realized it isn't logical without doing the heads.

My current mods are:
RandomTech High Flow Ceramic Cats
Corsa Catback Exhaust
K&N Dual FIPK
KW Variant2 Coilovers
Dave's Big Brake Kit
iForged Classic II 3piece Wheels

The rest that will be installed are:
Performance SCT Tune
AmericanRacing 1 5/8 Stepped Headers & Metallic High Flow Cats(I might decide to not run cats at all)
172 Degree Thermostat
T&D 1.7 Shaft Mount Rockers
New Pushrods
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
Centerforce Clutch
Hydrolic Slave Cylinder
3:55 Gears
B&M Short Throw Shifter
AB's QualityWires
Power Steering Pulley
Power Steering Bracket
Wood house Engine and Transmission Mounts
New Michelin Pilot Super Sports

I know you guys mentioned around 460ish, but I was originally hoping for around 475rwhp at least. If that's actually realistically possible. I know with the gears the readout will be lower, so I'm going to have the car dyno'd before the gears and after. Either way, the car will be a lot more fun to drive and I will be extremely happy with it regardless.

seriously pretty much spot on what im planning on doing... I know ill love the gears now I just hope they arent going to be to much/counterproductive when i throw a paxton on in the future

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 01' motor had some of the highest HP readings I have seen for the mods I had and it's mostly the common bolt on's, except for head work.
This got me 467HP and 508TQ - 11.3 1/4 mile @125MPH on Drag Radials:

SVS Headers, highest flowing headers made in my opinion. It's a "race only" header from what my research has shown... This is where I got all my power I think. Notice the equil length headers and perfect 5 into 1 collector... this is where these headers domintate in my opinion.
You must be registered for see images

NO CATS.... NO REAR EXHAUST = LOUD! (also big power gains from no cats...)
Side Borla exhaust
Smoothe tubes / K&N drop in's
Alum flywheel
SCT Tune
...can't think nof anything else power related to get the power I did.

I installed rockers and axctually lost power... Down to about 457HP, but again... this was another day on the Dyno, so who knows if the temp / weather conditions played a role. This may have also been because the rockers are not useful without headwork, then they will add power. I still managed an 11.6 at the track with the rockers, but I was also on a harder tire... and had alot of tire spin compared to my softer drag radials (BFG G-Force DR), so that is where I think I lost the .3 tents from at the drag strip... from a harder tire (Nitto 555).

hmmm so I got two questions
#1 do you think i will gain from taking my high flo cats out? currently b&b headers, cats, cat back
#2 I really dont plan on doing head work in the future so are roller rockers a waste? I always thought they increase the lift of the cam

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm so I got two questions
#1 do you think i will gain from taking my high flo cats out? currently b&b headers, cats, cat back
#2 I really dont plan on doing head work in the future so are roller rockers a waste? I always thought they increase the lift of the cam

#1) I was also wondering this going catless/straight pipes.. It seems logical, but just how much extra rwhp could you squeeze out?
#2) I already bought my Rockers and have heard nothing but positive things in reference to increasing power anywhere from 15-18rwhp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper