Only 640 hp? ***

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking that this looks like a warmed over Gen IV engine? Forged internals aside, where did they get the extra HP? Just a more aggressive tune to get more out of the cam? Different intake manifold? Different heads?

I'd be curious to see all the specs of the powerplant.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as I was just reminded on Lambopower, the original GTS was rated at 450hp yet dynoed 415-420rwhp. Soooo maybe that part of the GTS nostalgia might also be brought back. It will probably dyno around 600hp or so to the wheels maybe??? Even the old Gen V rated at 600hp put down 545rwhp so maybe there is more power here than the numbers suggest.

Sounds like they just used the Viper X motor and calibrations. It was rated to 640hp too IIRC.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 640 hp is lame, i missed the first 8 minutes but later Ralph said the SRT is more race orientated over the GTS, Did they state the SRT hp, if not I am sure the SRT will have more, very neutral on the exterior when compared to the Gen 2

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are in a HP race and the all new viper just lost to a mustang. Yeah I know the viper is NA and everyone else uses boost but still the average person only sees the number and the all new Viper just came up short. Like said earlier the new C7Z or C7 ZR1 will kill the vipers 640hp. Plus the soft ferrari lines are a little dissapointing. Sweet interior for sure.

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a nice looking car. It is not at all a Viper. I have no passion looking at this car, I never wanted to purchase another nice car and unfortunately that's what this is.

It is not menacing or aggressive, it's stance is feminine and the list goes on. The entire thing just does nothing for me. As I said, it's "nice" but when I think Viper this is not what excites me. I don't think this is a reflection of the previous Vipers at all, I don't think it ignites the emotion we all have, or had in the past. This car will be great, but it has clearly detached from what we love.

+1 +2.... +1000

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vettes are supercharged, we are still normally aspirated. Iwould have wished a few more horses too, but as the old saying goes, the reduction of weight is just as good as the addition of horsepower.

Look at it this way, with the new race program coming on line, its just a matter of time until the go fast parts reach the street.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking that this looks like a warmed over Gen IV engine? Forged internals aside, where did they get the extra HP? Just a more aggressive tune to get more out of the cam? Different intake manifold? Different heads?

From the SRT press release;

Improvements for 2013 include a new, ultra-high flow and lightweight composite intake manifold, high-strength forged pistons, sodium-filled exhaust valves, new catalysts to reduce back pressure and an aluminum flywheel that reduces reciprocating losses.

On a Gen IV a ported intake an high flow cats probably make 30hp, they got 40. Add headers and maybe another 40-50.

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a nice looking car. It is not at all a Viper. I have no passion looking at this car, I never wanted to purchase another nice car and unfortunately that's what this is.

It is not menacing or aggressive, it's stance is feminine and the list goes on. The entire thing just does nothing for me. As I said, it's "nice" but when I think Viper this is not what excites me. I don't think this is a reflection of the previous Vipers at all, I don't think it ignites the emotion we all have, or had in the past. This car will be great, but it has clearly detached from what we love.
I agree. I am sure the gen 1-2 guys are happy, and while subjective, I have always been a gen 3-4 guy. More angular and menacing!

sdwpve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My bet is the numbers that they state are consevative my Gen IV dynoed at 540 RWHP which equates to 635 HP at the flywheel. So my best guess is the Gen V will dyno at 580 RWHP which equates to 682 HP

Steve

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the looks of the car.

Also disappointed with the hp numbers.

My n/a 2004 has over 700hp. Given all of the engineering resources available at Dodge, how difficult could it have been to get the numbers north of 700?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure hope the guys complaining aren't the ones holding up traffic driving all slow in their Vipers. And never using even 300 of the 600 hp they already have.

A mustang is not competition for a Viper, period. They made more hp than a ZR-1, and with the base model Viper. There has to be an ACR coming with them going racing. There has been room left for improvement.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Everything I can see in the pictures points to a mildly edited version of the Gen-4 with a few plastic covers.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the SRT press release;

Improvements for 2013 include a new, ultra-high flow and lightweight composite intake manifold, high-strength forged pistons, sodium-filled exhaust valves, new catalysts to reduce back pressure and an aluminum flywheel that reduces reciprocating losses.

On a Gen IV a ported intake an high flow cats probably make 30hp, they got 40. Add headers and maybe another 40-50.

That stated, I want to know if that new composite manifold will bolt on to a Gen IV? I came to really like the composite manifolds used in the LSx engines...of course, that would assume that the composite manifold is better than a ported aluminum piece.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a beautiful car, but to me, the front end is way too Ferrari-ish. The hp is very disappointing.

Most likely mimicking Ferrari aerodynamics.

The front reminds me a bit of the F50, not a bad thing in my book.

I wonder what the downforce is on this new body; it seems to me they devoted special attention to aerodynamics, a real Ferrari specialty developed in their own wind tunnel over countless years of racing and transferring what they learned to their street cars.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure hope the guys complaining aren't the ones holding up traffic driving all slow in their Vipers. And never using even 300 of the 600 hp they already have.

A mustang is not competition for a Viper, period. They made more hp than a ZR-1, and with the base model Viper. There has to be an ACR coming with them going racing. There has been room left for improvement.

I use my 1000hp whenever I get the chance, the only time I hold up traffic is when there's a cop in front of me. :D

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exterior and interior looks amazing, light weight (carbon fiber, aluminum) Love that part.

Hey SRT Guys, This car deserved a new engine to go with everything else.

Since GTS is the Theme they should of gone back to 8.0L but this time with a modern DOHC engine. with like 11:1 compresion and forged assembly. That would easily pump out 680-700hp with plenty of high rpm power/torque and low end torque. Thrust me the extra .4 cubic inches wouldn't be missed AT ALL by ANYBODY plus it could got even lighter than what it is.

Overall, I loved the car and they did an excelent job! BUT the engine is the heart of any car and the first thing that should of started that project and revolve around.

The engine is also the most expensive part of the car as we know and I don't know how much a modern 8.0L V10 DOHC would add up to the price.

BTW, how much are they saying this car will cost?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are disappointed by 640 ALL MOTOR horsepower?

How many other naturally aspirated production vehicles have achieved this? People shopping for Mustangs do not cross-shop a six figure Viper. They aren't even in the same league. Think of all the Ferrari chumps that have (and do) settle for less hp.

Quit crying. LOL

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
640 hp is a significant increase. Sure you can get additional hp out of previous editions, but not still meeting federal noise, fuel and emissions and durability requirements that the OEM must attain.

Think the greatest improvement of all is the new 3:55 gears that will allow the use of all 6th gears and obtain a 206 mph top speed in 6th gear.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This video states- "Has the Corvette ZR1 met it's match?" Really. I was hoping that the media would say- "The ZR1 has met it's match and Viper reigns supreme once again!" :crazy2:

Unfortunately, untill some real world tests come out whereby the Viper does actually trounce the ZR1 the Viper Nation will have **** it up like good ol' Rodney Dangerfield yet again.

c65491

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did they mention the price? when could you order one?

im getting rid of mine as soon as i know the price atleast

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are hilarious. The car is beautiful and menacing, with a proper interior, and a 640 horse (probably underrated) naturally aspirated engine, but you complain because it's not enough? Only magazine racers care about power ratings. This thing will be a rocket with that much torque, relatively low weight, and 3.55 gearing. Those saying Dodge should have just done x, y, or z you don't think they would have if they could? They have drivability and emissions constraints they must meet. Also, a revised Gen IV engine allows them to spend resources on all the other areas of the car that needed updates. If they'd brought the car out with kit-car quality, no interior, and a 1000 horse motor they'd only sell to a handful and it'd do nothing for the brand. This place sounds worse than the Corvette boards when each new sketch of the C7 comes out.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just watched the 7 minute youtube video just released and I freakin love the Gen 5 and will buy one when they become affordable to me. But it'll be in graphite or black.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the looks...

Thought I wouldn't

HP is a disappointment.

So if they will open the door to tuners then I think I can get over the HP.... big if...

boilerkj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are hilarious. The car is beautiful and menacing, with a proper interior, and a 640 horse (probably underrated) naturally aspirated engine, but you complain because it's not enough? Only magazine racers care about power ratings. This thing will be a rocket with that much torque, relatively low weight, and 3.55 gearing. Those saying Dodge should have just done x, y, or z you don't think they would have if they could? They have drivability and emissions constraints they must meet. Also, a revised Gen IV engine allows them to spend resources on all the other areas of the car that needed updates. If they'd brought the car out with kit-car quality, no interior, and a 1000 horse motor they'd only sell to a handful and it'd do nothing for the brand. This place sounds worse than the Corvette boards when each new sketch of the C7 comes out.

Couldn't agree more. With all the alternative cars present and forthcoming, I think they did a great job assembling the full package. Both the exterior and interior give it a nice exotic look. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Simple as that.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headlights are a disappointment for me because they are way too soft and not agressive looking. Everyting else I like, especially the return to factory backed racing! You can count me in when Viper will return to the 24 hours of Le Mans!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456