Only 640 hp? ***

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the price? How can anyone expect a 700hp, 3,100 lb car with a good interior for half the price of a Ferrari or Lambo? Mustangs are HEAVY, they wont be anywhere near this Viper in terms of overall performance.

Seriously!? Do you not remember when the original Viper was revealed? $45k with MORE HP than Ferrari and Lambo 3X the price.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
640hp will leave plenty of room for the aftermarket. Not as easy as in the past but doable.

Not exactly is my guess. The new car includes the "aftermarket" tweaks of: intake manifold porting and polishing; intake; and exhaust. In otherwords, they already took the "cheap" (viper tax) improvements off the table. Now it does have forged pistions so you may be able to void the warranty and dump $20k large to add forced induction.

Just an interesting direction all around. I had heard that the motor would be 8.7L.

In any event, I am thrilled that the Viper will continue!

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as I was just reminded on Lambopower, the original GTS was rated at 450hp yet dynoed 415-420rwhp. Soooo maybe that part of the GTS nostalgia might also be brought back. It will probably dyno around 600hp or so to the wheels maybe??? Even the old Gen V rated at 600hp put down 545rwhp so maybe there is more power here than the numbers suggest.

Sounds like they just used the Viper X motor and calibrations. It was rated to 640hp too IIRC.

They use SAE hp/trq ratings now. Variations are more likely caused by your dyno operator than "magic" OEM production cars.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari will always have the top ADVERTISED HP in FIAT, BUT look at the torque curve, both the shape and the area under the curve!!! It will clean Ferrari's clock. Look at the weight compared to Ferrari.

Put them both on a dyno!!! Ferrari will be low, Viper will be high. Lastly, IMO there's a lot more to be had with MINOR tweeks. SRT had to hold back, but the word will get out as to where the power is. One more thing, the Viper will be a street fighter - the Ferrari a garage queen.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if they will open the door to tuners then I think I can get over the HP.... big if...

Ya, IF they would release the code for the ECU allowing a company like Paxton to sell a blower kit for the car it would be a winner for people like me that want big HP. Add 8-9psi to that 640hp and you have 1000hp. And have a car that dtill drives and idles like stock till you put the hammer down.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, IF they would release the code for the ECU allowing a company like Paxton to sell a blower kit for the car it would be a winner for people like me that want big HP. Add 8-9psi to that 640hp and you have 1000hp. And have a car that dtill drives and idles like stock till you put the hammer down.

Why would they when it wasn't done with the Gen 4?

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
640 HP is the same HP as the ACR-X and 2 HP more than a 2 year old Corvetter ZR-1. Very disapointing
1. The ACR-X is a race car that doesn't have to meet any emissions restrictions. They can run headers, no cats, and a cam that would never pass an emissions test.

2. The ZR1 is supercharged. I'd be willing to bed the LS9 and associated cooling system is heavier than the Viper's motor and cooling system.

Not sure what you guys expect them to do and still stay NA and emissions/drivability compliant? Ever study the economic theory of diminishing marginal returns?

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
640 hp. Wow that *****. Way to go SRT. Dethrone the muscle car king. When comparing off the lot HP numbers it just doesnt cut it. Even mustangs roll off the lot at 650 now adays.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are disappointed by 640 ALL MOTOR horsepower?

How many other naturally aspirated production vehicles have achieved this? People shopping for Mustangs do not cross-shop a six figure Viper. They aren't even in the same league. Think of all the Ferrari chumps that have (and do) settle for less hp.

Quit crying. LOL

Honestly, +1

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all you wanted was big HP numbers then why not simply get an older Mustang GT500 and mod it with a pulley upgrade. You need to look at the whole picture. The Viper is lighter and just about the same HP NA. Imagine how that baby will operate going down the road with that air intke. In the pictures it looks like the hood intake will be totally functional. It is all about putting the power to the ground afterall. The Viper has never had a problem with putting the meat to the ground. This one already has the functional aerodynamic ground effects so it should hug the ground pretty nice. Overall I say SRT did a great job. In any new product anticiation, you will always have some disappointment as to what you would have dreamt for. But the thing to look at is how much would those dreams have cost? As for the person who said the C7 will have 700HP, are you serious? The Corvette is going to a smaller displacement 5.5L. With the new TCS systems, this thing should be an even bigger beast on the track. And the looks just scream "Look at me!!!". Once again, great work Team SRT and Mr. Gilles.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but its a 20 yr old truck engine for god sakes!!! Getting 640 hp outta 8.4l is a joke! The new car deserved a new power plant, no ands ifs or buts about it!!

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bet Ferrari wouldnt let Viper be the strongest car of Fiat. Surely so many potentials in that huge 8.4l engine.

It would cannibalize the upcoming F620. F620 will be around 740hp.

You all remember 599 GTO couldnt even beat that lightly DC modded ACR.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aston Martin recently put into production a Cosworth 7.3L naturally aspirated V12 with 750 hp in a low volume car, but it was pretty expensive..

I really don't like the appearance of the new Viper engine, looks like a plastic intake manifold, and cheap plastic engine covers. I do prefer the look of the of the Ferrari / Lambo red painted cast intakes and valve covers as well as the past Gen 1/2 engines w/o plastic engine covers.

Can't really complain about the performance.. just whining about the disappointing appearance of the new Viper engine..

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-dodge-viper/med/#photo-4940502/

Last edited:

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really would have been nice if they could have done a front-mid engine design like the 599.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new SRT Viper GTS is the garage queen version. The less fancy, more experienced driver oriented version with the different hood, the SRT Viper, is the lighter, meaner beast. It was a very good idea to have two different variant coupes from the getgo. I am willing to bet that there will be an "offroad" controller offered by Mopar for the Viper SRT fairly soon after production starts since there is a track kit option ( which lightens the car) being offered by SRT for both cars. And, if Mopar does not come out with a set of better headers, someone will. The Mopar controller and headers added 60 plus HP to the Gen IV. This engine has forged pistons and other improvements that make it more robust so that it can safely tolerate a more aggressive calibration. I think that 700 HP will be easily and safely achieved. I also think that it was probably planned that way. 640 HP is at the edge of what might cause some of the potential buyers to soil themselves and SRT wants to sell these cars not have them sit in inventory.

Ferrari will always have the top ADVERTISED HP in FIAT, BUT look at the torque curve, both the shape and the area under the curve!!! It will clean Ferrari's clock. Look at the weight compared to Ferrari.

Put them both on a dyno!!! Ferrari will be low, Viper will be high. Lastly, IMO there's a lot more to be had with MINOR tweeks. SRT had to hold back, but the word will get out as to where the power is. One more thing, the Viper will be a street fighter - the Ferrari a garage queen.

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new SRT Viper GTS is the garage queen version. The less fancy, more experienced driver oriented version with the different hood, the SRT Viper, is the lighter, meaner beast. It was a very good idea to have two different variant coupes from the getgo. I am willing to bet that there will be an "offroad" controller offered by Mopar for the Viper SRT fairly soon after production starts since there is a track kit option ( which lightens the car) being offered by SRT for both cars. And, if Mopar does not come out with a set of better headers, someone will. The Mopar controller and headers added 60 plus HP to the Gen IV. This engine has forged pistons and other improvements that make it more robust so that it can safely tolerate a more aggressive calibration. I think that 700 HP will be easily and safely achieved. I also think that it was probably planned that way. 640 HP is at the edge of what might cause some of the potential buyers to soil themselves and SRT wants to sell these cars not have them sit in inventory.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, +1

That is my thought. I can't believe how upset people are over this. "Only" 640 NA hp.

If they tossed in a whole new engine people would be ******** that "its not a Viper any more" If they made it mid engine they would be ******** "it's not a Viper any more".

I believe Ralph and team did a tremendous job! More torque than any NA sports car in the world. Look at that torque from 4500+

I am actually embarrassed by all the complaints.

Pics from FrgMstr

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

austeo23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heh, the future of performance cars (in my opinion) is not about achieving horsepower milestones, it's about merging the right technology and materials together to produce the best possible combination of performance/utility. Clearly, the goal of the SRT team is not to produce a world class drag racer, but a car that can stake its reputation on track performance. Horsepower is the first thing that everybody notices, but it's really the cheapest thing to increase to make up for the other flaws of the vehicle. Look at what the viper ACR did at Nuburgring with a worse power to weight ratio than its close competitors and also don't forget how good the Nissan GTR is on the track, despite its lack of power and heavier weight.

At some point, pushing more and more HP has to stop--it becomes more dangerous for regular drivers to handle that kind of power and (as others in this forum have suggested) diminishing returns starts to take its toll. It seems a bit ridiculous to me for non super exotics/hypercars to venture into the 700-800hp realm as a stock tune. It's fascinating that actual race cars of around 500hp or less can totally demolish road cars with astronomical horsepower ratings. I wouldn't ever expect a road car to compete with an all out race car, but can't we move toward the direction of race cars by reducing weight and maximizing handling and technology rather than escalating the horsepower wars? Let's be honest, if all we're looking at is the horsepower rating, isn't that a bit one dimensional?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave