New Viper is huge letdown

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too excited about 640HP, maybe someday they can catch up to a mustang. Maybe I could have it direct shipped to underground.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's grown on me immensely in just one day. Lighter, slightly more power but I think they a giving themselves room to grow and this can be remedied quickly currently, a race version, FORGED INTERNALS, much better interior, 3.55 rear (this car is going to put up some great stock drag times). The front is still a little funky to me but I love the front on the GTSR, so that gives me hope.

All in all there is a ton to work with here:)

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like how the GTS-R has the fog lights like the gen II GTS. i like the GTS-R but as of now, I'm not real sure about the base model. I'm still confused on what model is the top of the line
The GTS-R is a race car only. It is designed to compete in ALMS GT2. The street car will be offered in two variants: SRT Viper and SRT Viper GTS. The GTS will be the heavier optioned of the two much like the C6 ZR1 base model vs. the loaded up one with the 3ZR option package.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too excited about 640HP, maybe someday they can catch up to a mustang.
I don't understand why this is bugging some of you so much. You can make anything have power. However, you can't make a 3800lb Mustang with forward weight-bias have the driving characteristics of a car like the Viper or a Corvette.

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a nice car... grows on me... like the vented hood of SRT base better... and the front spoiler of GTS-R=much better then GTS

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think it looks amazing. Love the video posted of it. Improved it in every way (more torque/power, better interior, mixed some GenII and modernized off of that look)....Looks nothing like a Vette --which I STILL catch crap from friends that my GenIII looks like a vette.........this dodge....sorry, this......SRT Viper is a winner. Can't wait to see one in person. Dealer 'market adjustment'...here we go again........

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Motortrend... base price is 95k

Exactly what I have been saying to everyone that kept saying it was going to be $140k. $95k for a base Viper is a very good number for what you get when you compare it to a Gen IV.

ExpensiveHobby22

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car does have body-integrated downforce features. It's got a large kickup on the decklid in the rear and an integrated splitter-like feature in the fascia as well as louvers in the hood. Those are all lift mitigating/downforce inducing devices, and as used together as a package on the new car, they no doubt result in the car having negative lift/downforce. There are likely kickups on the underside of the vehicle that add to this as well.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why this is bugging some of you so much.

Probably because its a somewhat negligible power increase considering the Gen 3 to 4 was 100HP and people were anticipating it as
having awesome numbers on paper. As is it might have trouble beating a Gen 4 ACR around a track who knows?
40 more HP but less downforce it would appear. That little ducktail can not possibly generate the ACR's downforce can it?
We won't know until it's tested.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think the side & rear of the car look great, to me, the front is a little of a let down. Headlights seem a little small for the front fascia, and the front end looks like a Ferrari. I'm guessing that they may make some "tweaks" with the engine for next year, or possibly for the roll out of production? Who knows, overall I like it, I'm with alot of folks here possibly the "hype" got to us all with unrealistic expectations??:) Still a huge Viper fan !!

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS-R is a race car only. It is designed to compete in ALMS GT2. The street car will be offered in two variants: SRT Viper and SRT Viper GTS. The GTS will be the heavier optioned of the two much like the C6 ZR1 base model vs. the loaded up one with the 3ZR option package.

i figured that much, i just wish the new viper has the fog lights in it. maybe someone can take the wide body of the GTS-R and keep the fog lights and put all of that on the new viper. i like the wider/lower stance better. the fog lights just enhance it that much more

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am a hater...for some reason I'm a bit disappointed. It's not the HP numbers or the looks exactly (which I'm not a huge fan of).

It just seems like the spirit of the viper has faded. I hope I'm wrong.

We will see if it's still raw with all the aids turned off. I hope so.

Also, can you think of a better way to make the ******** gen II guys mad than to call the cushy/luxury option the GTS?

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to admit I am one of the ones that is just not excited about it. I LOVE the interior and the new options but I dont buy a car for the interior. I buy it for the outside and this just doesnt excite me. I think my expectations were too high. I was hoping for something that would make me want to run down and put a deposit on it now. I watched the video of it and from the front it totally reminds of a 599 and I hate the 599. Ive been on the track with one and seen them live and they just totally let me down and now I see the 599 in this design. I would not buy one without seeing it live and driving it first but I certainly wont be one of the ones putting an order in on one. Im really hoping they come up with an ACR version soon and maybe that will have the looks and jaw dropping appeal I am looking for.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the X brace across the engine, but have to say there does not look like there is much room under that hood for any aftermarket upgrades! The main Fuse box looks rather close to the headers! I hope the Viper does not start to experience the problems the 599 had with fire issues!

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am a hater...for some reason I'm a bit disappointed. It's not the HP numbers or the looks exactly (which I'm not a huge fan of).

It just seems like the spirit of the viper has faded. I hope I'm wrong.

We will see if it's still raw with all the aids turned off. I hope so.

Also, can you think of a better way to make the ******** gen II guys mad than to call the cushy/luxury option the GTS?

i figured the'd have one option if they were going to use the GTS moniker and then a track version would be the ACR again.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree. It looks better than the last 10 years, weighs less, has the clamshell hood, more power and you can switch off the nannies. It had to evolve to survive and I think SRT did a kick ass job.

Agree, the last cars were to Corvetteish. The new one goes back to the roots, Gen II.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the ACR came out it was sold as a track car. I remember seeing a video from Gilles on the track as well. Everything about the car from start to finish was about track speed and performance. This car seems to appeal to a differenent audience. My brother who has always hated the Viper because of its crude raw insane power and no attention to interior detail and finish called me after the NY unveiling. His reaction was " I'm going to get one now". Maybe it's the cup holders that appealed to him......

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks more to an Audi to me...

Dont you think or is it only me??

You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• vipaudi.jpg
    vipaudi.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 9

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the ACR came out it was sold as a track car. I remember seeing a video from Gilles on the track as well. Everything about the car from start to finish was about track speed and performance. This car seems to appeal to a differenent audience. My brother who has always hated the Viper because of its crude raw insane power and no attention to interior detail and finish called me after the NY unveiling. His reaction was " I'm going to get one now". Maybe it's the cup holders that appealed to him......

:rolaugh::lmao:

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bet Ferrari wouldnt let Viper be the strongest car of Fiat. Surely so many potentials in that huge 8.4l engine.

It would cannibalize the upcoming F620. F620 will be around 740hp.

You all remember 599 GTO couldnt even beat that lightly DC modded ACR.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks a lot like the gen2 cars. At first sight i didn't like it, but after looking at it a while, im already warming up. It will be a hit when everybody can see it in person. Just like when the C6 corvette arrived, everybody ******* for a while, and then evryone loved the car. Just wonder what the price will be. Outta my ballpark

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it.
It is an “evolved” GEN II.
I find the process similar to that of the 911s, each year it is something new but always the same platform.
700Hp would have been nice. Maybe we’ll see it in the near future.
Otherwise, I truly hope the price stays under $100K.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4