New Viper is huge letdown

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just finished pouring over all the pics on MT. I still just don't like the front. Everything else I'm liking much more. Maybe when I see in in person Saturday I'll get a better feel for the front but I doubt it.

The headlights remind me of the singer Brandy whose eyes are just a tad far apart. Not ugly but just enough to cause a visual imbalance. And no fogs. Could have been better IMHO. So I guess the "chick on the beach" has hypertelorism lol.

Last edited:

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the car standing alone is a great engineering achievement for Dodge and the line. I think they could have done a better job on the front and rear of the car. It just doesn’t fully scream “Hey world, I am a Viper!” It’s like it only does it 50%. I do like the side body and design. Love the interior, side exhaust, clam-shell hood and other aspects of the GTS they incorporated in to the design, however I start picking away at it when I begin comparing it to other cars in its class or price range which we are not completely sure on yet.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate all the Gen1/2 throwback items & hints on the car (Intake, GTS rear, etc.). The interior is very high tech and at least up to the level of the ZR-1 (stitching, covering, etc.). Jury is still out on the front. Power is not the 700 hp everyone talked about but is up around 10%. The launch control and nannies will definately change the car forever. HK sound system, nav, is this the possible 1st Viper that could be a DD? I'd like to see one in person.

Of all people, I kind of like it.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have been anxious to see the car and will be going to NY to see it in person.

I'm not a fan of those LED lights in a row around the headlights....seems ricey to me. The whole carbon fiber thing in the back, ditto. In one picture they show the "scoops" in the hood that remind me of those on the Ford GT. While that in itself isn't a bad thing...what looks like a fake plastic grill at the bottom of the scoop is. Looks like a cup holder insert.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks a lot like the gen2 cars. At first sight i didn't like it, but after looking at it a while, im already warming up. It will be a hit when everybody can see it in person. Just like when the C6 corvette arrived, everybody ******* for a while, and then evryone loved the car. Just wonder what the price will be. Outta my ballpark

Correction, not everybody I still don't like the body of the base c6 and think the c5 base body is much better looking.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Home run! I can't wait for the convertible. Does remind me a lot of the Gen II.

Me neither I wonder if this time the rear end of the coupe will be the same in the vert. Could someone do a photoshop to see a convertible version of the car?

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry the new car is awesome. It is an improvement in every way over the previous generation. And they are finally back in racing which, to me, legitimizes the new Viper as well.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether you like it or not there is nothing out there that looks like this car! It is a Viper and I suspect it will sell well if the price is not too crazy. I will withhold judgement untill I drive it and see how it compares to my ZR1. Only thing I heard so far that I think is a complete waste for this type of car is that it has "cruise control"???

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People, you have to realize this car is naturally aspirated HP versus what you guys are quoting from Mustangs and Vettes are forced induction. You're not comparing apples. What do you think the numbers would be if SRT added SC or Turbos??? It would be well north of 1,000hp!

I personally love the new look. They've made big leaps in modern technology and vehicle dynamics. Just wait until the track records start to fall. You will see then.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When will the price be announced? Was there any mention of that today?

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the Gen V is a gorgeous car with a gorgeous interior, but it just doesn't have the same emotional effect TO ME as my 96 GTS does. I think there's always gonna be a HUGE divide between Viper purists and those who think a car like the $Viper$ should have fancy screens/gizmos in it by now. As far as I'm concerned, ppl now have 5 generations of Viper to choose from, and they can buy the Viper that speaks to them. At the end of the day we'll all be Viper owners and all have a Viper in our garages. But, I will happily be keeping my '96.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the interior. That's about it. Rest of the car is a let down. Looks like a Lotus in the front. I love my Gen 3 even more.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is amazing... looks sinister in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJuWSk_vAWQ

Watch this video and when they are driving it the views from the front look way too much like a Vette. I think it is because the lower area is blacked out like a Vette.

The side and rear views are very Viper like, but man, that front (at least from a distance) looks... (I can't say it again)

Last edited:

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait..... are these real speedos or not? All electronic? We all know what happened in the 1984 Vette ... LOL

2013-SRT-viper-speedometer.jpg

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch this video and when they are driving it the views from the front look way too much like a Vette. I think it is because the lower area is blacked out like a Vette.

The side and rear views are very Viper like, but man, that front (at least from a distance) looks... (I can't say it again)

I get very confused everytime I see this corvette comparison. can you share a picture of what you are referring to? The fronts are so completely different with the vette being much more angular, etc.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, that car already has high miles for a Viper... :lmao:

Jump in a new Range Rover and you will be blown away by this new dash technology. I was very skeptical until I saw one last week and could not believe they weren't real guages until the salesmen started changed to other screen options. amazing stuff. Nothing like the digital dashes of the 80's. Hopefully this is the same sort of deal.

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The chassis brace over the engine; functional or cosmetic? Seems if it were to increase rigidity it would need to have less curve.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think they are holding back,so the car keeps interesting for a while, they arnt going to give it all up on the first one.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is awesome. We're lucky a 2013 Viper exists at all. This one is a home freakin' run!

The race car absolutely blows me away. Amazing...great to see Viper back in ALMS!

To all at SRT, Chrysler and Fiat - a heartfelt THANKS!

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only letdown is the horsepower. Everything else is fantastic. It will look even better in person, but this is really a great continuation of the Viper. Much better than the GEN3 vs GEN2. This is as close to GEN2's looks as it will get. The rear end is incredible, it looks like an Aventador with those tail lights. Everything has a bit of Italian finess, but still that American Viper look. I really like the alternate hood on the base model GENV Viper (non-GTS). The spec sheet says the base Viper model with SRT Track Package will weigh 3,297lbs. That's amazing, that's as light as a GEN1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper