Oh for god sakes

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you actually believe SRT would deliberately underate it by 20hp?
Not likely.

Very possible Jon. I'll use the current 6.4 as an example. It's rated at 470/470, but have you seen the 0-60, and 1/4 mile times, and rwhp dyno dumbers that both the magazine testers and owners are getting from Chargers and Challanger? For those heavy cars (I know, I own a 6.1 SRT Charger) to be making those numbers, that engine has to be makeing at least 500 hp at the flywheel.

The same could be very possible with the 8.4. IF I were a betting man, I'd bet that when it actually goes on sale, the number may be different.

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't be the first time......lol ! HOW About 426 HEMI Making 425 H.P. " NOT!!!! " More like 500 plus H.P. :)

I was watching some show on the speed channel I believe it was, and they had the big blocks from the Big Three back in the muscle car days. Just trying to remember... Chevy 409, a Buick 455, a Chevy 427, Ford 429, and the 426 Hemi (I think those were the engines--or at least close). They were supposed to be all stock out of the cars on a bench. They did a hp rating at the flywheel and while the others were impressive at 450-600 (somewhere in that vicinity), the Hemi was around 800. I wish I still had that episode recorded. Does anyone remember seeing that. Heck, it may be online somewhere... Anyway, the Hemi made crazy numbers and all were supposed to be stock internals. I, of course, did not believe those numbers--something had to be wrong. But it was crazy to see.

Last edited:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV's made 624 on the engine dyno during a presidents meeting before the Gen IV was released. Obviously there is some variance from engine to engine, but I think it is safe to say that the Gen V will make more that 16HP more than the Gen IV.

As for the old muscle car engines, how many have you seen run down the track quickly in stock form? Those old numbers were gross numbers with no accessories and headers bolted on. I remember a magazine that dyno'd a stock 426 hemi car and some other muscle cars of the era along with the Gen 2 Viper and the Viper put more down to the wheels than any of the old muscle cars.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was watching some show on the speed channel I believe it was, and they had the big blocks from the Big Three back in the muscle car days. Just trying to remember... Chevy 409, a Buick 455, a Chevy 427, Ford 429, and the 426 Hemi (I think those were the engines--or at least close). They were supposed to be all stock out of the cars on a bench. They did a hp rating at the flywheel and while the others were impressive at 450-600 (somewhere in that vicinity), the Hemi was around 800. I wish I still had that episode recorded. Does anyone remember seeing that. Heck, it may be online somewhere... Anyway, the Hemi made crazy numbers and all were supposed to be stock internals. I, of course, did not believe those numbers--something had to be wrong. But it was crazy to see.

Yeah, that isn't right. The old muscle cars were powerful and fast for their time, but nothing compared to today's cars. Those 426 hemis were not kicking out 800 hp stock. They were putting out more than their rating and more than most anything else made at that time, but not anywhere near 800 hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Utw4E3jGM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080228030510AAyAXdw
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._hemi_426_crate_engine_dyno_test/viewall.html

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
under rating engines is not a new thing, done in the 60's to thwart high insurance rates and more recently to make sure the auto maker doesnt get sued for overstating ie: the mustang cobra debacle. i am just guessing there must be more instances