Oh for god sakes

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed, the new Viper must be the lightest production car out there w/ this high of power output, i think the ZR1 it a bit heavier, Veyron is 4,000lbs. 640 should get it done the tougher thing is going to be keeping the power put to the ground(at least w/ the newly added electronic nannies off)

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah,... really, any rear drive car with anything more than 400hp can be a handfull for most idiots. People that think they need more than whatever number, I think are only concerned about bragging rights. WHEN WILL IT EVER BE ENOUGH? It's nice to be the "big kid on the block", but geez, why get all wound up over it? ....... You know what's really funny, is the dudes that are raising the biggest fuss over this, aren't even gonna buy the new car anyway........ regardless of HP........:rolleyes:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just talking about this with a couple buddies this afternoon over lunch. We were talking about on paper the new viper is 10hp under the GT500, but that means nothing in the grand skeem of things. Power to weight ratio is where it's at and putting the power to the ground. High hp numbers look cool but that does not mean that they can perform like they should. I'd be plently happy with a well balanced 640 then a sloppy tire spinning 650.
This is just my 2 cents

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
640hp more than enough on the street, which is where most of them will be. That 650hp bulky Mustang will never keep up with a Viper on a track. Wonder what size tires the Rustang will have? I can't believe that will hook up without traction control on full force.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed, the new Viper must be the lightest production car out there w/ this high of power output, i think the ZR1 it a bit heavier, Veyron is 4,000lbs. 640 should get it done the tougher thing is going to be keeping the power put to the ground(at least w/ the newly added electronic nannies off)

Yes, the ZR1 is heavier.

2013 SRT Viper
3,200 lb (1,500 kg) (base)
3,277 lb (1,486 kg) (GTS)

2012 Corvette ZR1
3,333 lb

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bruce-

1. You cannot tune the computer on this car, just like the Gen-4's.

2. The horsepower issue has a lot less to do with performance than it does marketing. The fact is, in the horsepower war that is today, this car does not make a splash. In fact, it will probably be ridiculed for only have 2 horsepower more than the ZR1... with an extra ~5 years of development. And you better believe that when the ZR1 is refreshed, GM is going to make it a point to slap SRT on this issue.

The Viper of old had it ALL over the competition in the power department. The Viper of now is just in the running with the competition. That is not good for marketing.

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't change the A/F and add a little timing for higher octane? Turn on the fans sooner and program out skip shift? There has to be some way around it that just hasn't been hacked yet. So a gen 4 had 600. People are pulling out and easy 700. Improved intake breathing on the V with less back pressure, a little hotter cam and you only get +40? I don't believe it. I thought that around 640 estimate was for sure a low ball number. However at that level it is a mine's bigger than yours thing and I can't brag about my thing. GTS Bruce

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed with you Bruce. I can see where some people say that the power is not an increase from 2010 but lets be serious, what can one do with 640HP let alone more. Being rear wheel drive, it just makes more smoke! 640HP is plenty, and like Bruce said, want more, you know who to call for modifications.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would have been the highest hp and tq car produced by a major US manufacturer, if I am not mistaken, until the Shelby issue came up. And people complain?

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. And, I dont mean this in a rude way. But there are VERY....... VERY...... few people on this board, who can drive even the previous Gen Vipers to their ability.(or anywere near it). Why the need for more? seriously.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a car that puts 700 to the tire and I use all that power quit frequently. What you guys are not realizing is that even the 500 horse power cars are overpowered in first gear, its when you are up to speed on a track that you use every bit of power that your car has. That being said I am betting that with the 640hp that you will be getting from a naturally aspired engine will be quit a handful. Everyone is ******** about the horse power number, we haven't even seen what the performance numbers are going to be yet. With a new close ratio transmission, lower gear ratio dif, lighter weight car, better suspension, and so on and so on I bet that the new Viper will be handing the ZR1 or anybody else that wants to play a handy butt kicking.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moss-Magnussen(sp?) warranty act, they would have to prove that the headers made the part that went bad....went bad from the say headers, wont have an effect on a seat cushion, or a window....

but there are mod-friendly and nonmod-friendly dealers.

so if you put on headers and a muffler or cats(assuming you would leave them on w/ headers) goes bad well then you may issues w/ warranty

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, way too much ******** going on from the magazine racers that only care about a figure. Usually the same guys that spin out and can't even control the 500 hp versions. The car being 100 lbs lighter alone is approx the same performance gain as adding 10 rwhp in itself. Anyone comparing it to a Mustang is likely just someone that can barely afford the Mustang - and won't buy the new Viper anyways.

Tony

Last edited:

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine Ball:3062009 said:
The car being 100 lbs lighter alone is approx the same performance gain as adding 100 rwhp in itself.

Tony

......uhhhhm....no. :rolaugh: 100lbs is maybe 10hp equivalent

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have heard a rule of thumb, that for each 8-10lbs removed from a vehicle is like adding one hp, so w/ the track pac(150+lbs savings) option is like adding almost 15-20 hp

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have heard a rule of thumb, that for each 8-10lbs removed from a vehicle is like adding one hp, so w/ the track pac(150+lbs savings) option is like adding almost 15-20 hp

That's a bit closer to reasonable...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100 was a typo, sorry. 100 lbs is about 1 tenth in the 1/4 mile, so 10-15 rwhp.

Either way, people are just ******** too much about the numbers game. I'd take a 500 hp Viper over a 650 hp Mustang.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. And, I dont mean this in a rude way. But there are VERY....... VERY...... few people on this board, who can drive even the previous Gen Vipers to their ability.(or anywere near it). Why the need for more? seriously.
Speak for yourself. There's no such thing as too much horsepower. And while driving ANY car, even a sedan, to it's limits on public roads is never really a good thing, that is not to say that one can't drive it.

I for one think the 640hp was too low. We went from 400->450->500->600->640. That doesn't look right, does it, especially after a 3-year hiatus.

-Avi
1997 Viper GTS

Reaction score
As posted above the added power in addition to the gearing and weight will make this Viper an absolute beast! My car with the 3.55 or the 3.73 gears was totally different then with the 3.07 and this car will be also. Yes at the track with good warm tires I could use all the power, BUT that does not mean I would have been faster then the Gen5, it will be superior right out of the box, not a little, FAR superior. Personally I cannot wait to get my hands on a Gen5 SRT Track pack car, and if I can add headers, a Corsa and a PCM I will, along with anything else I can find just like the last one.

SRT has built such a wonderful car that will appeal to many more then just the current Viper owners, this will be a great thing because I think they will be drawn into Viper ownership just like you all were and that will be great for the Viper nation and SRT's future.

:headbang: