Paxton Supercharged 2006 Coupe Build Thread

ExplorerThis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...as far as street duty it lacks the fun factor on the highway with stock kit, stock motor. Seen several roll races where the viper had a hard time holding its own.

I guess that's why I use the term lame so loosely.

Your car has to feel suffocating on the highway now. Sick setup for sure now.
My buddy had a ugr GTS with the built motor Paxton setup. Thing made me cry on the highway.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you Explorer, my '09 Z06 with a little Magnacharger and 616 rwhp could easily put 2 car lengths on my Viper with 650 rwhp, when we ran them from a roll. That sorta sucked :)

The main problem with the stock engine and stock Paxton kit is that you only get a slightly impressive peak hp figure. The blower itself isn't very happy at low rpm and low boost, it isn't even in a good efficiency range when spun that slowly. My current setup is still not pushing the blower to it's sweet spot (yet). But, look at the area under the comparison dyno curves now, it is doing much better than before.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you Explorer, my '09 Z06 with a little Magnacharger and 616 rwhp could easily put 2 car lengths on my Viper with 650 rwhp, when we ran them from a roll. That sorta sucked :)

The main problem with the stock engine and stock Paxton kit is that you only get a slightly impressive peak hp figure. The blower itself isn't very happy at low rpm and low boost, it isn't even in a good efficiency range when spun that slowly. My current setup is still not pushing the blower to it's sweet spot (yet). But, look at the area under the comparison dyno curves now, it is doing much better than before.

I too am running a 3" pulley on a paxton car (gen 2), let us know were you get it from and how the overdrive crank pulley works out. I'm really wanting to do this as a next step too.

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Where you running the factory 3.07 gear in your Viper?

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, stock 3.07 rear gear, stock differential, stock axles.

A 3.33 or 3.55 gear would have made a night and day difference in your stock motor/paxton setup. The factory 3.07 gear just is too high of a gear for that setup and doesn't keep the rpm's up where the Paxton really shines.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Axle gearing doesn't mean as much when both cars take off from 50-60 mph rolls. In that Z06, I've ran other Vipers making 625-650 rwhp with higher gear ratios - and the Z06 also put car lengths on those cars too. The main reason is that the TVS2300 blower on the Z06 made full boost at 2K rpm, revved out to 7K rpm, and the car weighed 200 lbs less. Anyways, back on topic. This current setup would smoke my old Z06. :)

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ordered some more parts today, some may find these part numbers helpful.

ATI Supercharger damper - Part # 917933E
ATI Paxton crank pulley - Part # 916266 - bolts onto 917933E above, has 7-rib accessory drive (OEM diameter) and 8-rib Paxton drive 7.287" OD (7% overdrive for blower)
ARP balancer/crank bolt - Part # ARP-2402501
ARP 5/16-18 1.000" chromoly 12-point bolts - 6ea needed - Part # ARP-641-1000 - to bolt crank pulley onto damper.

All items found at www.summitracing.com except for the Paxton pulley - that was ordered direct from ATI. Call them at 410-298-4343, ask for damper tech.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ATI Paxton crank pulley - Part # 916266 - bolts onto 917933E above, has 7-rib accessory drive (OEM diameter) and 8-rib Paxton drive 7.287" OD (7% overdrive for blower)
ARP 5/16-18 1.000" chromoly 12-point bolts - 6ea needed - Part # ARP-641-1000 - to bolt crank pulley onto damper.

All items found at www.summitracing.com except for the Paxton pulley - that was ordered direct from ATI. Call them at 410-298-4343, ask for damper tech.

Cool, make sure to let us know how much boost/power you get from that crank pulley! I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm at 909 rwhp now with the 3" pulley on my striker heads/cam gen 2 I want to get that "1000" rwhp

T JUNKIE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I wish I had seen it before I started my Paxton install. I never did the Paxton fuel delivery and Split Second because I didn't like the looks and pressure of that system.

I am running a set of Nitto Drag Radials trying to get some traction. Can You tell me what your doing to hook this Monster up?

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For traction, the rear wheels are 19x13 Forgeline with 345 wide Nitto NT05R drag radials. Zero traction issues in 2nd gear and up.

As for updates, I've ordered the larger diameter crank pulley from ATI (7% overdriven) but have not had time to install it. Just been driving/enjoying the car as-is, got sort of burned out wrenching on it for the last few months. The car will need a re-tune once the crank pulley is installed.

I also spoke with an engineer/sales person at Paxton, asked them if the Novi 2500 was a good upgrade for me. He was honest, and said it wasn't worth it. With the new crank pulley, I'll be spinning the Novi 2000 at approx 52,000 rpm - which is the sweet spot for that blower. The Novi 2500 unit likes 60,000+ rpm, which we cannot reach without a much larger crank pulley. He said I'd probably pick up 15-20 peak hp, but lose a lot of bottom end throttle response and torque in the midrange. Car could actually run slower.

Boooooo!

My next upgrade will probably be a 150 shot wet kit. :)

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is an awesome Build! Im almost finished with my paxton build, went a little different on the fuel system with an external pump and all, but i love the results your put out! Throw up some more videos of that thing rippin up the road!

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been eyeing those NT05R as a much needed replacement for my factory runcraps. Tony, any other thoughts or comments on those new Nittos so far?

Doug

For traction, the rear wheels are 19x13 Forgeline with 345 wide Nitto NT05R drag radials. Zero traction issues in 2nd gear and up.

As for updates, I've ordered the larger diameter crank pulley from ATI (7% overdriven) but have not had time to install it. Just been driving/enjoying the car as-is, got sort of burned out wrenching on it for the last few months. The car will need a re-tune once the crank pulley is installed.

I also spoke with an engineer/sales person at Paxton, asked them if the Novi 2500 was a good upgrade for me. He was honest, and said it wasn't worth it. With the new crank pulley, I'll be spinning the Novi 2000 at approx 52,000 rpm - which is the sweet spot for that blower. The Novi 2500 unit likes 60,000+ rpm, which we cannot reach without a much larger crank pulley. He said I'd probably pick up 15-20 peak hp, but lose a lot of bottom end throttle response and torque in the midrange. Car could actually run slower.

Boooooo!

My next upgrade will probably be a 150 shot wet kit. :)

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car came out great Tony. Some parts of the build look vaguely familiar.....lol

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been eyeing those NT05R as a much needed replacement for my factory runcraps. Tony, any other thoughts or comments on those new Nittos so far?

Doug

I absolutely love these NT05-R drag radials. They hook instantly in 2nd gear, and also ride nicely too. Don't ever drive them in wet conditions though, they have zero traction when wet.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a dyno sheet for ur z06 with the Maggie s/c??

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the dyno above compared with the original Paxton setup. Z06 was faster by 2 cars from a rolling start. Peak hp is less important than highest average hp across the racing powerband.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ARP 5/16-18 1.000" chromoly 12-point bolts - 6ea needed - Part # ARP-641-1000 - to bolt crank pulley onto damper. Do not need.

I finally got around to installing the new crank pulley. Did a few more mods, as I was getting belt slippage with the setup.

Grit-blasted the 3.0 blower pulley:

ATI damper and 7% overdrive crank pulley installed. Installed new Gates HD green belt, which is more heat resistant than typical belts. Should help reduce belt slip, which always occurred when the belt would get hot and stretch more.

As you can see, there isn't any room left to go - that is the water pump pulley just above it.

View from underneath:

Installing the crank pulley was very time consuming. You'll need a Chrysler crank pulley installation tool (about $20 from Harbor Freight) and you'll need to lift the engine slightly off of it's engine mounts to get access to the crank bolt when installing it. Steering rack made it impossible to get a socket and torque wrench in there, without lifting the engine a bit.

Also had the valvecovers painted GTS blue, and added the Exotic Engine breather system with oil catch can.

Car isn't back together yet, I've got a long list of goods to install in the next few weeks. Shooting for 200+ mph in the standing mile in October.

Tony

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony
Looks good keep us posted on the the dyno number and good luck with the mile.

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tony, I installed/removed my 7% pulley with no engine movement, just remove one of the two rack pinion mounts and it will pivot enough to remove the pulley.....at least on my FE it did lol.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good upgrades, pictures, and write up Tony. You should have no problem breaking 200+mph at the mile with your power and new transmission gearing. What tires will you be running at the mile? According to my calculations, a stock sized rear tire and final gear will do 200mph at 6100 with your new 0.8 5th gear. Will you using a taller rear tire to get over 200mph, or pulling in the revised 6th gear?

I will see if I can make it out there to spectate on Saturday.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
345s-bspinin
If you make it out can you post some pic's. Thanks

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good upgrades, pictures, and write up Tony. You should have no problem breaking 200+mph at the mile with your power and new transmission gearing. What tires will you be running at the mile? According to my calculations, a stock sized rear tire and final gear will do 200mph at 6100 with your new 0.8 5th gear. Will you using a taller rear tire to get over 200mph, or pulling in the revised 6th gear?

I will see if I can make it out there to spectate on Saturday.

I bought a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup rear tires, 345/35-19. I'd be pleased with a 200.0 pass :)

Matt162, good info on moving the steering rack. I was afraid I'd cause some tube(s) to start leaking again, so I didn't want to mess with the steering system.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good idea on the taller tire, however I have never seen a 345/35-19 Cup tire. Where did you find these? I don't see them on tire rack or any where else. Either way, that extra 1.4" of tire height (27.1" v. 28.5") should net you an extra 10mph. Sound like the perfect gearing.

Good luck hitting that 200.0mph mark. If I am not mistaken, that you make you the first SC Viper to go over 200 in a standing mile. :drive: