OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony
Any updates??

Car picked up more power, still sorting out drivability tune at low rpm range today. Let's just say the car met its goals in power, but I have a few races lined up and do not wish to post the results for another 2 weeks. I'd like my competitors to not bring enough to the event :)

So, for now, enjoy some photos.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Autoform rollbar installed:

Last edited:

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tony, now that the races are over, how did the car perform? Did it crack 1000rwhp with the new revisions?

Tom

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno results (Mustang Dyno, load based. Dynojet would read an easy 40-50 higher)
885 rwhp - 93 octane only, no methanol or nitrous
912 rwhp - C16 race fuel, no methanol or nitrous
980 rwhp - C16 race fuel, with nitrous

Time for some updates, now that my internet grudge matches have been completed :)

In the last two months, I've done a bunch of different upgrades. I knew going into the Texas Invitational event that 850 rwhp wouldn't be enough. So, my goal was to hit 1,000 rwhp - without my sandbagging grudge match opponents finding out. Mission accomplished, the car ran flawless all weekend and stomped a lot of ass.

Here are the things that have been changed since the thread was last updated.

-ATI Supercharger damper - Part # 917933E
-ATI Paxton crank pulley - Part # 916266 - bolts onto 917933E above, has 7-rib accessory drive (OEM diameter) and 8-rib Paxton drive 7.287" OD (7% overdrive for blower)
-ARP balancer/crank bolt - Part # ARP-2402501
-Grit-blasted the Paxton 3.0" drive pulley, to reduce belt slip. Simple aluminum oxide blast.
-Replaced normal Goodyear Gatorback belt with a Gates "Fleetrunner" green back HD belt.
-Installed Exotic Engines valvecover breather manifold kit and external catch-can. Got rid of PCV system, it was blowing oil into my intake. Vents to catch can now.
Installed custom built aluminum ice tank in trunk. 14"x14"x10" tall. Holds three 10 lb bags of ice. Has an internal sump pump. This feeds my Paxton A2W intercooler up front. My IAT never went over 74F during pulls, even though it was 88F outside.
-Installed a dual nozzle wet nitrous kit from Nitrous Outlet. I told you guys I was going to be ready for the sandbaggers, and that was the solution! I installed the nozzles at the underside of the throttle body, set it up to spray a 100 hp shot. I also installed a Nitrous Outlet controller, which functions as a window switch, TPS/WOT control, and has gear lockout and progressive control options. 10 lb bottle in the trunk.
-Installed an Autoform 4-point rollbar. Bolt-in style, attaches directly to the frame and was a PITA to install. This is required for the standing mile event. Also installed a 5-point harness. Had the rollbar paint-matched to my GTS blue color.
-Installed new Forgeline GA3 wheels and tires. Two sets of rear wheels, 18x12.5 and 19x12.5 - one set with 18" drag radials, the other set with 19" Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. Front is 19x10 with Michelin Pilot SS. These were built very light, with stepped lips and titanium hardware.
-Installed AEM "Failsafe" Boost/AFR gauge in steering column pod. This comes with it's own wideband sensor, which I installed in the passenger side exhaust.
-Installed Raptor shift light. The new boost gauge blocks the view of the factory shift light.

Video of dyno pull (980 rwhp via Mustang dyno, would be 1000+ on a Dynojet)
http://youtu.be/HIAwqsBXdU0

In-car video of one of my passes (164 mph) at Texas Invitational. This is a rolling 60 mph start, track length 1,500 ft. Most cars clearing 160 mph were 1000+ rwhp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2aY1wLtwNk&list=UUrETiHfxlI0Igei04hd1KVQ&index=4&feature=plcp

Photos!

You must be registered for see images

Standing mile event is in less than 2 weeks. I should be able to hit that 200+ mph mark...

Tony

kcox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great Tony! Impressive numbers. Any ideas what it is capable of in the 1/4 mile?

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Slick Tony! That car has come a long way in a short time.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Andy. I'm basically done with this car, going to enjoy it now. I've got my classic Chevy's to focus on now, three of them to work on. Two '69 Camaros and the '70 Chevelle.

Tony

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and update Tony, you have an awesome Paxton setup, one the best I've seen for a Gen III. Glad the car performed well and kicked butt!

How much boost is the Paxton pushing now with the revised setup 13-14lbs?

Tom

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maxes out around 12.5 psi in hot weather, we had one cooler day in the 60s and it read 13.1 psi.

There is definitely a restriction in the intake system, because it reaches full boost around 5K rpm and just sort of stays there until 6K. Centri should show more boost with rpm, but something isn't allowing it into the engine. Might be the Paxton A2W intercooler, the throttle body, or the intake manifold. No belt slippage evident. No leaks evident.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are some very healthy numbers Tony. Looks like your belt slippage issues were well addressed. The addition of juice is icing on the cake :headbang:

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should definitely add a decent **** system so you can add a degree or 2 or timing at the top end. That would be about 50hp.

Did you ever change your cam? If not, there could be an extra 70 - 125 rwhp with the boost. That would put you real close to 1000 rwhp on pumpgas with the same boost level.

Figure you need about 620-650 rwhp then with 12 psi that would put it just over 1000rwhp or darn close.

Did you ever dyno the car after the engine build without the blower?

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Basically Cervaza V10's setup (and a built bottom end) with the paxton and 12psi. I think he made like 630rwhp or so on motor.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should definitely add a decent **** system so you can add a degree or 2 or timing at the top end. That would be about 50hp.

Did you ever change your cam? If not, there could be an extra 70 - 125 rwhp with the boost. That would put you real close to 1000 rwhp on pumpgas with the same boost level.

Figure you need about 620-650 rwhp then with 12 psi that would put it just over 1000rwhp or darn close.

Did you ever dyno the car after the engine build without the blower?

Pumpgas
he did add a cam. Read the update on what was added on the build. To me one of the better paxton build. He give's all info on what was done to the car with part numbers can't beat that.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone didn't read my thread, haha. :)

I list every detail, with intentions for others to use as a roadmap if they decide to follow the Paxton route. I don't need a methanol kit, I have a nitrous kit. With a methanol kit, you have to tune the engine to run on methanol. If you run out of methanol, you are done for the day. With a nitrous wet kit, you simply tune the engine to run how it does without nitrous, then add in the 100 hp shot on top of it. When you run out of nitrous, you are still good to go on the tune. We ran the previous event on C16 race fuel, and were able to get 23 degrees timing without nitrous. On nitrous, I run 20 degrees timing, with C16. I guarantee nitrous temps are far more efficient than methanol temps :)

Also, you can't simply add hp gains from each individual modifications and assume the hp just stacks up. Putting a Paxton on a 630 rwhp engine isn't going to automatically make more power. My combo is already at the maximum CFM of the Paxton head unit, based on the pulleys I have on the car. It simply won't flow more air, or do so efficiently. The blower itself is apparently the restriction, not the engine. Other local guys are pushing 1100-1200 rwhp on the exact same engine I have, but using twin turbos. I spec'd the cam to work with turbos, because I planned to swap to that later on.

More pics!

And, that new Exotic Engines catch can system WORKS! Here is what I found in the catch can, after about 20 dyno runs and 10 passes at the track. If not for that catch-can, this oil would have been inside my intake manifold. Oil in the intake manifold is not good, especially on a supercharged or turbo engine.

Tony

Last edited:

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very well though out system Tony. The car looks ready for this weekend's TX Mile event. There is a cold front coming in. If we stay dry, I have no doubt that we are going to have a record breaking Texas Mile weekend. You will be needing 6th gear. Are you thinking of spraying in 6th gear too???

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very well though out system Tony. The car looks ready for this weekend's TX Mile event. There is a cold front coming in. If we stay dry, I have no doubt that we are going to have a record breaking Texas Mile weekend. You will be needing 6th gear. Are you thinking of spraying in 6th gear too???

I'm going to attempt 200+ on blower alone first. I have a more aggressive tune for running C16 on blower alone. My SCT handheld has 3 tunes stored.

93 Octane - boost only (885 rwhp Mustang)
C16 - boost only (912 rwhp Mustang)
C16 - with nitrous (backed down timing) (980 rwhp Mustang)

I'm not looking to set any records, just want the 200.0 pass. If I get bored, I'll spray. I hope I get to use 6th!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I vote for coolest thread ever???

Tony,

You have to take me for a ride in that thing!! I'll get lunch!! :)

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dang my bad Tony, did not see where the cam was swapped out too. So much detail listed I missed it :) Probably the best Paxton thread ever!

Tom

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! It was a lot of hard work, but I'm glad that I'm able to do this stuff at my house.

Gordonvi, what modifications do you have done?

Tony

Gordonvi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine Ball nice work great looking car!
Your numbers sound correct as for mine:
Novi 2000 Supercharger with 10 lb pulley
Nitrous Express System (dry)
Arrow Racing Engines Custom Forged pistons and rods
Belanger Longtube headers 3" collector no cats with race mufflers
Taylor Race Engineering Rearend
Performance By Joe Custom Heads and Cam Package
Roe VEC2 Piggyback Computer
Aeromotive Custom Return Style Fuel System
methanol injection kit
Gen4 oil pan and swing pump
Gen4 transmission
car is able to make over 1000rwhp
But the car is set for 843 rwhp on pump gas for the daily drive.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got home from the Texas Mile event.

Mission accomplished! I made 4 passes this weekend, all of them over 200 mph. The last (best) pass was with the 100 shot nitrous kit armed. It was worth an extra 4 mph (compared to same day).

Friday Runs

#1 boost only
173.1 mph half
205.8 mph mile

#2 boost only
166.4 mph half (spinning)
206.9 mph mile

Saturday Runs

#1 boost only
161.9 mph half (spinning)
205.3 mph mile

#2 boost + nitrous
177.3 mph half
209.3 mph mile

All runs were on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires (19s front/rear) and with zero aero modifications (no tape, etc..) Just like it drives on the street. Yes, I had to use 6th gear on each pass. It finished at around 4,800-5,000 rpm in 6th.

Tony

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it! Makes me want to sell my '08.... But then again... the '08 is preventing me from getting into mod money trouble LOL.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hell yeh you got it! I know that meant a lot to you; congrats!

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!!! well done you did accomplish your goal of 200+ miles

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper