Paxton Supercharged 2006 Coupe Build Thread

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I've just completed my latest revision of mods to my '06 blue/white coupe. During this transformation of mods, I found it very difficult to find technical information on this site, while searching. I saw many members asking the same questions, but rarely a response was provided. So, I'll put up my full build details here - hopefully someone can find them useful later on. Also, if you have any questions about the build, I'll try my best to answer them. All of this work was done in my own shop, by myself and a few buddies.

First of all, I'll provide you with the end results. No sense on making you read all the blah blah to find the info. If you like the results, then read on. Here is the before/after dyno comparison.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a video of the dyno session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Hi3rLKFTQ

I picked up about 185 rwhp with the latest changes made. Across the entire rpm range, the car runs/drives like a different animal now. Throttle response is instantaneous and pulls HARD, but does so much smoother than before too. Mostly due to the fuel system upgrades listed below, and getting rid of the Split Second and FMU stuff.

BEFORE (Previous Combo)

-Stock internal engine, cylinder heads, intake
-Stock exhaust manifolds
-Custom 3" exhaust with high flow catalytics
-Paxton NOVI2000 kit, out-of-the-box installed. Including Split Second timing/pump controller, dual external pumps and FMU, standard 3.75" pulley

AFTER (Current Combo)

Engine

-Forged Internal Engine -Built by Late Model Engines (Houston, TX) - forged rods and pistons, stock mains, all ARP hardware, 9.5:1 CR
-Comp Cams camshaft, 230/242 @ 0.050, 0.608/0.608 lift, 115 LSA
-Stock unported heads with upgraded valvesprings, retainers, pushrods
-Stock unported intake manifold
-Keyed crankshaft and balancer pulley
-JTS Venom billet throttle body
-NGK ZFR6F-11G (Stock # 6987) V-Power Spark Plugs - gapped at 0.032"
-Installed 160F Thermostat
-Mopar 2-Bar MAP sensor (I believe this is from an SRT-4 Neon)
-Dyno tuned using SCT software, at Late Model Racecraft Houston, TX

Supercharger

-Replaced original 3.75" blower pulley with smaller 3.0" pulley, bought from Doug Levin Motorsports
-This blower pulley combo requires a 48.5" long 8-rib serpentine belt. I used Goodyear Gatorback part number 4080485
-Replaced Paxton belt tensioner rod with stronger version from Doug Levin Motorsports

Exhaust

-Belanger long tube headers
-Removed catalytics (original setup melted them)
-Custom built my own dual 3" exhaust using two Magnaflow mufflers per side. One 5" outer diameter muffler, one 6" outer diameter muffler.

Fuel System

-Removed Paxton Split-Second timing/fuel pump controller
-Removed Paxton dual external pumps and FMU
-RSI dual in-tank billet aluminum pump basket with two Walbro 255 lph pumps
-Braided stainless fuel lines -8 feed and filter to driver rail, -6 crossover rail to rail, -6 return line from passenger rail to regulator, -6 return line to tank
-Aeromotive (part # 13109 - A1000-6) boost referenced regulator, mounted on firewall (fuel pressure set to OEM 58 psi)
-RSI billet fuel rails and throttle cable relocation bracket
-Fuel injectors - Siemens # 110324 Deka 60mm (82 lb @ 43.5 psi / 94.6 lb @ 58 psi)

Drivetrain

-Dual disk clutch with billet aluminum flywheel from Bad Boyzz Garage
-TR6060 prototype 2013 Viper transmission with 5th (0.80 vs. 0.74) and 6th (0.63 vs. 0.50) from Viper Parts of America
-2008-10 factory driveshaft (shorter than '03-06, also thicker walled slip joint yoke)
-Polyurethane engine and transmission mounts from Woodhouse
-Installed MGW billet shifter and knob

Whew! That was a lot of wrenching. Now for some photos.

Stock vs Woodhouse engine mount:

Stock Clutch vs Bad Boyzz Clutch

Fuel System Upgrades

Continued...

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More pics...

Larger injectors, showing part numbers for easy reference

RSI billet fuel rail kit and throttle cable relocation bracket

Regulator mounted on firewall

JTS Venom billet throttle body

All back together:

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It definitely runs a little more sporty now. :)

I'm not done with it yet. 12 psi boost is sorta weak for this engine. I'm looking for info on who possibly makes an oversize crank pulley for the Paxton. I also have a Doug Levin larger heat exchanger and pump kit coming for it. Then, I may introduce some methanol so that I can get more than 21 degrees timing. All of these results so far are on 93 octane pump gas.

Tony

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just reread again...Awesome.

One of the things that has kept me from going back with a Paxton with this car is trying to find an easy fuel system upgrade package - while they never let me down, I was never comfortable with the boost-a-pumps with the Paxton kit on my 03. That RSI hanger looks great and seems like a quick install, as do the rails. Something to keep in mind...

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. I never liked that external Paxton fuel system. Those crimp hose fittings would also occasionally leak, and require me check them frequently. There was also that slight hesitation when you nailed the throttle, where the pumps flip on and flood the engine momentarily. Most of the Paxton dyno runs show that dip in power when the pumps kick on. Having a proper fuel system is much much better. This system isn't cheap, around $3K into it, but it was also built to handle future mods that I'll eventually do - twin turbos.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice post/mods Tony. The added whp with new tighter gearing ought to make it a beast on the high end. Congrats on very awesome DIY build.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks incredible. I'm interested on your thoughts about the throttle body. I had a bad experience on my F-body with an aftermarket throttle body causing idle issues and a little sticking.

Oh, and thank you for posting this thread. If I do choose boost in the future, this will be very helpful.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slayer,

This throttle body uses the linkage rod and spring from the OEM tbody. No signs of sticking, it was pretty simple to assemble. I can't honestly post any before/after gains with it, since I never got to test this brand new combo with the OEM t-body. Just looking at them side by side, it definitely has to flow more. Some have posted results on minor bolt-on cars, and it showed gains on those cars.

Tiago: Definitely needs moar boost. Probably have a crank pulley made, then maybe upgrade to the Novi2500 head unit. It should clear 1,000 rwhp with that combo - with the factory PCM and SCT tuning. I'm reluctant to spend $5K on an engine management system, they seem to be a PITA.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slayer,

This throttle body uses the linkage rod and spring from the OEM tbody. No signs of sticking, it was pretty simple to assemble. I can't honestly post any before/after gains with it, since I never got to test this brand new combo with the OEM t-body. Just looking at them side by side, it definitely has to flow more. Some have posted results on minor bolt-on cars, and it showed gains on those cars.

Thanks! Glad to hear it hasn't caused any issues.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know. I don't think you really did the work yourself. Your fingernails are too clean. :)

Nice writeup. I enjoy seeing this stuff.

That is because my cars never get dirt on them. They stay sparkling clean :)

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tony, to do just the engine and fuel system modifications, how much was that? I saw where you said $3K for the fuel system was that for all the fuel system components. I basically have everything else on my Paxton 06'.

Tom

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also I think your old setup trapped about 135 or so right? What do you think the car will trap now? I just installed a set of the NT05R's and damn do they hook....

Not sure how they will handle 840rwhp, but they do excellent with 680rwhp.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, yes the car trapped 133-135 at 650 rwhp. I'd hope for mid 140s now, I'm sure I'll visit the track eventually. My goal for the car was 200+ in the standing mile, mostly. RSI can sell the entire fuel system, including pre-cut and fitted hose ends. I opted to buy all the individual pieces and build the lines myself, since I've done it before. The fuel fittings alone eat up quite the budget themselves, a few hundred in fittings. Pumps are around $100 each, regulator, 10 injectors around $40 each, stainless line, it adds up quickly. I don't believe in doing budget fuel systems, that is the #1 mistake on boosted engines. Better to have too much, and run it at a lower duty cycle.

Sonoman, the plug wires are from www.qualitywires.com - I see they have billet wire loom brackets now, I'll need some of those! The OEM wire loom brackets are too small to fit these wires. I bought the blue plastic ones shown at the local hotrod parts shop.

ExplorerThis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That thing has to run like a stabbed rat now. I know with just the bolt on Paxton kit and stock motor it's pretty lame.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno, mine trapped 135 mph in the 1/4 with just the bolt-on Paxton kit. I wouldn't consider that lame. Not world-beating, but still respectable.