How do you remove bird poop stains?

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is for my black truck. A flock of birds dumped all over the hood of my truck while I was at lunch. I stopped at a wand car wash after that and got it off. Last night I was cleaning the truck with a detailer and while the poop is gone, there is a stain. Besides buffing the hood, is there another way to get these stains out?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no....get out the buffer I think....or call that Junkman dude. He can probably fix it by just looking at it. That stuff has something in it that likes to etch away at the clearcoat. I've noticed that birds ALWAYS do that. I think it's some sort of avian conspiracy. They seem to specificly target anything nice, or any vehicle that you care about. You ever notice any bird crap on a kia / hyundai or anything like that? No. And it ain't because those people are washing those things, I'm telling you, the birds have got it in for us.

Reaction score
It may need to be wet sanded to get it out completely, have a body shop or professional detailer experienced with the process do it though they will know how "deep" they can go before cutting through a clear coat.

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem and to prevent it from happening again I bonded one of those tall fake owls, with the bobbing head, on the roof. Looks a bit weird but it works. No more bird poop......

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try dabbing the stain with a little vinegar.
Vinegar removes water marks that seem etched quite effectively.
Won't hurt clearcoat and worth a try.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try clay baring it first..

BINGO.

This is the FIRST thing that you try before anything else. Because of the acidity in bid crap, it QUICKLY begins to etch its way into your clear coat. If you don't remove that crap IMMEDIATELY, it can etch it's way through your clear coat and into the paint. Now you're looking at a paint job when that happens. Claying has the ability to pull that acid that remains behind out of the clear coat if you catch it soon enough. It may take some aggressive claying, and you may have to clay it for a while to pull it all out. Only after exhausting that measure should you think about trying anything else. The longer you allow that stuff to etch into your clear, the more doomed your paint job is. You should be working on it right NOW. It doesn't take any time at all for it to become permanent.

no....get out the buffer I think....or call that Junkman dude. He can probably fix it by just looking at it.

lol! I wish! lol!

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, use a Waterless Wash to loosen up the deposit before washing, but definitely get it off as soon as possible. Claybar definitely works and I usually follow it up with Adam's Revive Polish, which contains paint cleansers.

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried most of the suggestions above so far and while they helped some, I still have a stain, being black does not help any. I guess I will either live with it or take it to a professional detailer and see what they can do. What really ****** me off is the truck has 630 miles on it. I would like to have something new one time that I could put the first scratch on before something happens to it. The next time I get something new, I am going to take a key to it and hit it with a sledge hammer and be done with it.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you post a photo of the stain(s) so we can get a better idea of what you're dealing with? Thanks.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These can actually be some of the most caustic and stubborn staining and etching to remove that I come across. Many time it requires aggressive cutting compounds or wet sanding like Mark mentioned about. Of course try the easiest method first and work your way towards the aggressive stuff.

Good luck they are not fun to correct.

Andy Wheeler

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried most of the suggestions above so far and while they helped some, I still have a stain, being black does not help any. I guess I will either live with it or take it to a professional detailer and see what they can do. What really ****** me off is the truck has 630 miles on it. I would like to have something new one time that I could put the first scratch on before something happens to it. The next time I get something new, I am going to take a key to it and hit it with a sledge hammer and be done with it.

If clay doesn't get rid of the stain completely, then you are ready to move on to polishing. You don't sound as if this is something that you want to do yourself so a professional detailer would be a good idea. I can offer you this piece of advice. In order to keep this from happening again, do what I do. Bird stains and hard water spots don't stand a chance on my paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBJG_loTlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUa_jGC7a7c

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should go ahead and get a polisher anyway. I have seen a lot of paint burns, swirl marks, etc done by others on cars so I have been a little reluctant to go that route. It seems that Porter Cable make a good polisher. I need some help on what pads, etc to get. I dont want to screw up something trying to fix it. I have always been partiicular with my cars and bikes and like them to look showroom all the time, but it has usually been by old time waxing and detailing without a polisher. Nice videos Junkman.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF you go with the Porter and cable it is extremely difficult to brun paint with these new polishers. Follow the Junkman's step by step instructions and you will be a pro in no time. I was relucant too and just did my first detail job on a $200,00.00 Mercedes SL 65 AMG that looks like glass.

Bruce

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a black Saturn Sky-redline, really was a cool looking, fun car........then it got a big birdcrap stain on the hood........that really burned me out.........so I traded it in for my VIPER!.............true story.:)

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to drive to my house I would be glad to fix it for you. I am in 19060. Probably more of a hike than you would want to take but I figured I would offer anyway. I am on the PA/Del border and do see a lot of Md people at some of the local events.

Chances are it will need to be lightly sanded with 3000 grit and then buffed back up to a shine. I have done this many time usually with good success. Sad to say though sometimes if the BS sits on the paint long enough and pending on what the bird ate sometimes it etches the paint so deep it cannot even be removed with wet sanding and buffing.

Another suggestion is to go to the Detailing Day that is coming up soon. I would not doubt that they would use it as a guinea pig and remove it for you as a demo.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should go ahead and get a polisher anyway. I have seen a lot of paint burns, swirl marks, etc done by others on cars so I have been a little reluctant to go that route. It seems that Porter Cable make a good polisher. I need some help on what pads, etc to get. I dont want to screw up something trying to fix it. I have always been partiicular with my cars and bikes and like them to look showroom all the time, but it has usually been by old time waxing and detailing without a polisher. Nice videos Junkman.

If you are scared of what might happen by using the Porter-Cable, check out these videos. You will see how safe that polisher is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XAqpOe9Zt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7A5BCCb7Gg

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I had to park at long term parking at the airport. The parking lot had these giant stadium type lights all around so I figured I'd park under the lights because they would light up my truck at night so it would be more secure. Well I found out one way that nobody will screw with your truck. Little did I know that birds enjoyed roosting on these light fixtures. I came back one week later and the truck looked like it had been targeted by a bird $hit bazooka. It was just splattered everywhere, even the vertical panels. I don't think any crook would gotten near the truck let alone try to steal anything out of it. It was a mess to clean....I don't own that truck anymore:lmao:

Cheers,
George

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the junkman 2008 is the best hands down no one better!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper