Model year comparison

json05

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Viper and have been looking at the 2006 SRT-10 Coupe. I've been looking recently at the 2002 GTS as well and was hoping for insight on the differences between the two, other than body style and HP. Would like to hear what everyone has to say. I plan on tracking. Other than a few mods and track setups (tires, tune, brakes, springs, etc) the car will remain stock.

Thanks.
Jason C.

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't buy anything older than a 2003. The SRT-10's seem to be superior in every single way.

Don't get me wrong, the GTS body style is absolutely beautiful but you get a stiffer chassis and tons of other more modern things on the SRT-10.

Take this post with a grain of salt though -- I've only owned or driven a single Viper. ;)

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take this with two grains of salt all vipers are good from day one!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recent thread on the exact same topic. Do a search and I bet you will find it. It contained a lot of opinions from people like me who have had different Gen Vipers.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan on tracking, the '06 coupe is the way to go! Already has killer brakes, way many bolt-on mods available, stiffer than the 'vert, no 'drive by wire crap',..............all that being said, the newer ACR's are faster on the roadcoarse (don't ask how I know). The gen II cars are really ****, but the gen III / IV cars are just better performing. Get the gen III, have the alignment set up for track use, upgrade the brakepads, get rid of that stupid exhaust crossover pipe, and GO!

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ultimately I think it depends on which body you think looks better. If it is performance you are after, the $10-15k you will save by getting a GEN II you could put into performance mods that will have your car destroying a stock 06. The interior is better on an 06 but even then, it isn't one that you brag about. Stock vs. Stock, the 06 will easily outperform a GEN II. If you don't plan on modding the car much, then go with the 06 for the numbers.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ultimately I think it depends on which body you think looks better. If it is performance you are after, the $10-15k you will save by getting a GEN II you could put into performance mods that will have your car destroying a stock 06. The interior is better on an 06 but even then, it isn't one that you brag about. Stock vs. Stock, the 06 will easily outperform a GEN II. If you don't plan on modding the car much, then go with the 06 for the numbers.

I agree. Putting the extra money in mods for the Gen II will definetly outperform the 06. You will get the best of both worlds then, Looks and performance. Im not saying the 06 coupe is not a nice looking car. Just not my preference. I would have bought one instead of 2 Gen 2s. But thats my opinion. (and most others) ..wink. An 08 ACR is the best bang for your buck in your case. The Gen3's are stuck someone in between that. Go for the one that captures your heart first and the mods are easy.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Putting the extra money in mods for the Gen II will definetly outperform the 06.

It will take a lot more than $10-15K to outperform unless you are just talking a straight line. Handling, brakes, etc., much better on 06... You won't have the extra bucks difference to do everything. The mods add up very fast...

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been on track with modded gen II cars at HPDE's , they seem to run about the same as my '06. My car is not stock, but not modded like most guys. The gen IV ACR's w/hoosiers, etc, and a good driver that can reach the upper limits of the car, they leave me in the dust ugly style! There's a reason why the ACR is king of the Ring. -There isn't a faster roadcourse car out there. Gen IV ACR is superior, but the '06 coupe is no slouch either. You're gonna really be pushing it to get there with a gen II, even with a big brake kit.

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously, buy what you think is good looking and then mod it if you need it to go faster. I had a Red 1997 GTS w/headers and 3.42 gears and now I have a Yellow/Black 2010 ACR I love them both equally. Both were quick and at Sebring these cars will F^&*ing FLY.

My 500 h.p. A/Sedan Mustang gets beat by both of my Vipers and I hold the track record for my class with that Mustang at Sebring. Just buy a Viper and try to beat it to death, you can't...they seem to be unbreakable. After you own one, nothing else will satisfy you and demand so much of your respect. VIPER=NO POSERS You want to pretend you are a race car driver...buy a Ferrari.

Last edited:

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My modded GTS feels a bit more nimble compared to my ACR. Nimble and a more forgiving car. I also like the powerband better with the head/cam setup too..

I think with the ACR you gotta have some good track time to be good with it. Trying to push that car 65-75% in one, or even two track events aint going to happen..