DC Performance closed : <(

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess it is official.

The SoCal and entire Viper Nation have lost a great asset.

Dan Cragin has announced that due to economic conditions they cannot continue to function with their current facility.

Dan is entertaining other options, but has arranged with other service facilities to continue to offer needed repairs and maintenance until he can get another option.

This came as a huge shock to most who know Dan, and how hard he has worked, since 1992 to keep our beloved Vipers in great operating conditions.

His parts business will be continued with his DC partner.

Reaction score
A sad day indeed, our relationship with Dan and all of the DCP guys will be missed. Good luck in the future to you all, you will truly be missed...

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark.
You guys and Dan made a heck of a team. Loved the way you both shared technology, experience and capabilities.

Dan has mentioned that if you have any current service needs, to keep in touch with him. If I know Dan, his instincts and burning desire to service the Viper Community will bring him back to us.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
oh crap...I just mailed my ecu to him for a retune.......

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn this *****:(. Dan move to Texas small business are welcome here:)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup, that was a rumor i heard. so sorry to hear this too. DC was one of the good/best ones

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank all of you for your support over the past 20 years. Economic times can be ******* a small business and unfortunately we could not whether this storm. Our operation with 9 employees was just too big to make economic sense. Moving forward I do want to let all my customer’s know that I have made arrangements with several sister shops to take care of all their needs, I will oversee the work. My goal is a leaner operation in the future and possible involvement with SRT and it’s new franchises. Parts can still be had through modifiedviper.com and I will let you know where I make new roots real soon. Rest assured, if you need me I can help.

When I started with Dodge back in 1983 Dodge’s idea of a sports car was a 4 cylinder turbo car called the Laser. I wished for the old muscle car days and when I saw the Viper prototype at the Detroit auto show in 1989, I had to be part of that. I was one of the first Viper Technician’s in the US and had the opportunity to train with Pete Gladys and work with father Viper Roy Sjoberg. I was hooked right off the bat and since then I have lived everything Viper. I had some great experiences building and campaigning cars. In 1994 we had the first Viper to do a 10 second ¼ mile, our club had a 10 second club, then a 9 second club then a 8 second club. We built all those cars. Road racing is my passion and we won many championships with Drivers like Eric Messley and Sam Hubinette.

I had the great privilege of being the Crew Chief on the Formula “D” drift team for Mopar. I still do not know how we made a car that could slip and grip! One of my big favorites was the Silver State Challenge, flat out for 90 miles on public roads in Nevada. We kept building faster and faster cars until the unlimited class was all that was left.Then came the flying mile in Nevada at 6500 elevation. No one could break 200mph. We came with a twin supercharged NOS injected GTS with a power glide, overdrive and 2.73 gear. On the last pass of the day, in the thin air we went 202mph. Our latest fun has been running the ACR’s on the track against the best that Europe has to offer and there has been no Challenge. Our own Lyle Larson ran a Viper Drag pack Challenger at Mopar’s at the strip this weekend and posted some of the best times out there! It still is fun. With the Advent of the new SRT Viper it looks like there is more to come.

I cannot tell you how many great people I have met over the years working with the Viper. I want to thank Mark Jorgenson and Woodhouse for their years of support. Jon B for a constant supply of used parts and all the engineers at Chrysler for their constant help. Everyone in the Dodge Viper family has been just great. I hope to continue with all of you in the future.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Dan. I am still running your "blower" calibration and it is still perfect. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best of Luck Dan. I am sure you will be very successful in anything you do. Your reputation speaks for itself.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the hard work and kind service you have done. You're not just my Viper mechanic, I think of you as a friend. I hope you find a good situation really soon.

~Jay

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best of luck Dan, we talked about the ECU, I'm sure it's in good hands, no worries.

Greekislandsurf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

I have not owned my Viper for very long, but I'm glad you were the first here in Cali to look her over. I appreciate your honesty and profesional advise in the short time. I don't think this is the end...I think there are going to be better opportunities for you in the near future. This is just the begining of your next chapter as it is for the Gen. V Viper! Best of luck to you and your crew!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan is the man, and just have a gut feeling he will be back -- too many people love and respect him and he one of the original good guys. Sad to see this happen, but his talent will still be needed and the SoCal group is a strong Club and they will band to support him, along with his friends around the US. Woodhouse Viper has worked with Dan for ages and there is not a more quality individual and tech in the US.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt a huge loss, I will follow him wherever he ends up. Sad for his crew who have lost their jobs as well.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Dan,

It was always a pleasure to hear your insights here on the forum and you were amazing to talk to in person as well. I trust that you'll find a new business environment that allows your operation to flourish immediately!

Regards,
Aaron

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, we never did business together...but you had done a considerable amount to my '96 RT before it came East to me.

You were kind enough to take time from your day to talk to me about what was done, etc for the previous owner..and that meant alot to me.

I wish you all the best.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the initial emotion of this has subsided, it really sounds like this is nothing more than an adjustment in DC's continued involvement in Vipers. DC Performance is Dan Cragin et al, not a building or a road sign or a letterhead. He's made it clear his intentions, and it sounds like that intention is to stay involved with Vipers. Which once this transition is done, all you'll need to know is the new phone number and shop address.

Best of luck during the switchover Dan. When noobs come along and ask where to get Viper service or parts from, you have, and will remain, in that list I always give.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you ever come to Nashville area, hit me up. We'll go do some log/tuning to keep your "chops" up. Wouldn't want you to get rusty :D

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Once the initial emotion of this has subsided, it really sounds like this is nothing more than an adjustment in DC's continued involvement in Vipers. DC Performance is Dan Cragin et al, not a building or a road sign or a letterhead. He's made it clear his intentions, and it sounds like that intention is to stay involved with Vipers. Which once this transition is done, all you'll need to know is the new phone number and shop address.

Best of luck during the switchover Dan. When noobs come along and ask where to get Viper service or parts from, you have, and will remain, in that list I always give.

Well said Dave.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck Dan! Sorry to hear things have not gone well.

I hope they get better and you can pick up where you are leaving off! :)

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can we just call it a "restructuring?".

Yes this...

I also want to say thank you to Dan Cragin. My GTS is my pride and joy. Alot of this has to do with all the work you've done to it. The car does not skip a beat.The 5 hour drive back and forth was worth it. Would do it all over again. Take care buddy!
L.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(while i'm sure dan's staff is 1st rate) dan is dc performance.

certainly there will be news

blessings to you brother in whatever you do next

peace

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad Dan. You have always been a great help even though my car was never at your shop. I have a feeling that with changes I'm seeing this is only the begining of the end for shops and tuners like Dan. Best of luck to you in whatever you persue.
Armand Salvatore

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan:

Thank you and your staff for all of the Viper Nation support and expertise! Please let us know where you land for future reference! Via con dios!

copperhead007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan, sure hope you'll be back better & stronger and with great peformance shop soon.

Whether you have to change the performance menu a bit, mix n match the marquees, keep those vipers running strong.

Theres so many performance cars & car guys that seek modifications so we need DC Performance, Dan Cragin, Chris Jensen and staff to shift gears and rock on.

No way dedication & great work should fade away so all the power to you guys to keep it going!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21