Thread: Subwoofer in passenger footwell?

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default Subwoofer in passenger footwell?

I honestly can't take the stock stereo anymore after 2.5 weeks of ownership so I bought a kenwood headunit, focal components (entry level), alpine amp, and a jl 8w3v3 and want to put the sub in the passenger footwell like I have seen in a few viper pics. Can those that have it installed like this post some pictures of the setup? I will probably go to a shop to build the box, the rest I will do myself as I have put a system and even fiberglassed custom sub boxes in the past just don't feel like doing it this time around. Any help would be appreciated. I will just unplug the center sub and little speakers behind the seats. I would love to make that area a second storage compartment.

Viper Owner

Default Re: Subwoofer in passenger footwell?

I always thought the box would take up too much footwell but if someone would send me some dimensions I would like to make one and try it. Center console sub sucks ass even with an 8" in a custom box.

Viper Owner

Damn Sal!

I forgot to let you hear the w3 I put in the stock location this weekend. It sounds 100 times better than the shallow mount Pioneer we originally tried. I'm sure sounds even better in the footwell, but I can't imagine taking up room down there. I know some people say you don't lose much room, but it's not exactly "roomy" down there as it is.

Viper Owner

I didn't know a W3 fit.

Viper Owner

Search for Frgmstr posts. He has a nice set up in the foot well, and did a decent little write up with pics about it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TowDawg View Post
    Damn Sal!

I forgot to let you hear the w3 I put in the stock location this weekend. It sounds 100 times better than the shallow mount Pioneer we originally tried. I'm sure sounds even better in the footwell, but I can't imagine taking up room down there. I know some people say you don't lose much room, but it's not exactly "roomy" down there as it is.
    any pics? I still haven't had a box made so my options are still open

Viper Owner

Oh it will fit, but it wasn't easy.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/...ldn-t-be-done-)

FrgMstr

Yeah, here is my install thread with all the details.

This is the sub in the footwell, and it hits like a ton of bricks. I had an instructor that was 6'3" sitting in the car at the track a couple weeks ago and it was not too bad on him. If you normal size passenger is 5'8" or so, the leg room being gone is not an issue.

I spent a lot of money trying to make the stock position work for really good bass, but it just was not happening, at least not to my taste.

FrgMstr

To do the floor box, line the well with plastic then have it fiberglassed in place. Works like a charm and fits hella good. Leave room at the top for floor vents on that side.

Enthusiast

Ahh I fiberglassed a sub box in my Toyota Supra, wow was that not fun...haha, so yours has a mdf top and the back side is fiberglassed?

FrgMstr

Quote Originally Posted by KDR83 View Post
    Ahh I fiberglassed a sub box in my Toyota Supra, wow was that not fun...haha, so yours has a mdf top and the back side is fiberglassed?
    Exactly. We tried two before fully out of MDF, and we just could not get the dimensions close enough to give the sub enough air to fire properly without taking up too much room in the footwell. Doing glass and using the actual footwell as a template worked out perfectly. Got enough air to fire and still plenty of room for feet.

Viper Owner

Wow, you guys. I must be a stick in the mud, I have a fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell, and I never even turn on the radio, I just listen to the exhaust.

FrgMstr

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Wow, you guys. I must be a stick in the mud, I have a fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell, and I never even turn on the radio, I just listen to the exhaust.
    Got a fire extinguisher in mine too. And while I am breaking from 140mph to make the corner, I am usually rockin' out. How could you not race and listen to Pantera? So yes, you are a stick in the mud.

Enthusiast

Yeah I like listening to a good song when I'm tearing up the roads, just driving around town...I preferred the notes my corvette would play.