Subwoofer in passenger footwell?

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly can't take the stock stereo anymore after 2.5 weeks of ownership so I bought a kenwood headunit, focal components (entry level), alpine amp, and a jl 8w3v3 and want to put the sub in the passenger footwell like I have seen in a few viper pics. Can those that have it installed like this post some pictures of the setup? I will probably go to a shop to build the box, the rest I will do myself as I have put a system and even fiberglassed custom sub boxes in the past just don't feel like doing it this time around. Any help would be appreciated. I will just unplug the center sub and little speakers behind the seats. I would love to make that area a second storage compartment.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought the box would take up too much footwell but if someone would send me some dimensions I would like to make one and try it. Center console sub ***** ass even with an 8" in a custom box.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Sal!

I forgot to let you hear the w3 I put in the stock location this weekend. It sounds 100 times better than the shallow mount Pioneer we originally tried. I'm sure sounds even better in the footwell, but I can't imagine taking up room down there. I know some people say you don't lose much room, but it's not exactly "roomy" down there as it is.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Sal!

I forgot to let you hear the w3 I put in the stock location this weekend. It sounds 100 times better than the shallow mount Pioneer we originally tried. I'm sure sounds even better in the footwell, but I can't imagine taking up room down there. I know some people say you don't lose much room, but it's not exactly "roomy" down there as it is.

any pics? I still haven't had a box made so my options are still open

F

FrgMstr

Yeah, here is my install thread with all the details.

This is the sub in the footwell, and it hits like a ton of bricks. I had an instructor that was 6'3" sitting in the car at the track a couple weeks ago and it was not too bad on him. If you normal size passenger is 5'8" or so, the leg room being gone is not an issue.

You must be registered for see images

I spent a lot of money trying to make the stock position work for really good bass, but it just was not happening, at least not to my taste.

F

FrgMstr

To do the floor box, line the well with plastic then have it fiberglassed in place. Works like a charm and fits hella good. Leave room at the top for floor vents on that side.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh I fiberglassed a sub box in my Toyota Supra, wow was that not fun...haha, so yours has a mdf top and the back side is fiberglassed?

F

FrgMstr

Ahh I fiberglassed a sub box in my Toyota Supra, wow was that not fun...haha, so yours has a mdf top and the back side is fiberglassed?

Exactly. We tried two before fully out of MDF, and we just could not get the dimensions close enough to give the sub enough air to fire properly without taking up too much room in the footwell. Doing glass and using the actual footwell as a template worked out perfectly. Got enough air to fire and still plenty of room for feet.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, you guys. I must be a stick in the mud, I have a fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell, and I never even turn on the radio, I just listen to the exhaust.:drive:

F

FrgMstr

Wow, you guys. I must be a stick in the mud, I have a fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell, and I never even turn on the radio, I just listen to the exhaust.:drive:

Got a fire extinguisher in mine too. And while I am breaking from 140mph to make the corner, I am usually rockin' out. How could you not race and listen to Pantera? So yes, you are a stick in the mud. ;)

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I like listening to a good song when I'm tearing up the roads, just driving around town...I preferred the notes my corvette would play.