AC RECHARGE

badasp2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone try or use the AC recharge kits you can buy for 50.00 to recharge the system in a gen1 ?

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the do it yourself kits have most everything to effectively add refrigerant to your system. Only add refrigerant untill the site glass becomes "clear" indicating a full charge. With engine running and with ac compressor on. Rev engine to 1500-2000 rpms to simulate a full load condition. Do Not Overcharge!

Before adding ref. use a mixture of Water and Dawn dish detergent for a bubble leak detector. Brush bubbles on all connections, flanges, fittings, hose ends, etc.

Note, if you see any wet oil areas or oil dripping on the ac system lines, compressor, or fittings, there is a leak at that area. Hope this helps.

Dave

God Bless!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I highly recommend against any do-it-yourselfer A/C anything. Specially on a car that you care about. Back in the R12 days, charging with cans and whatever, worked OK. R134a is ALOT more particular. For the system to work well, you need to pull a full vacuum on the system before adding refridgerant.(remove all moisture and non-condensables 'air') I don't think there is a $50 kit that will do that. They market those 'DIY' kits to people that are 'cheap' , for putting in their Taurus or Cavalier, not a Viper. Proper A/C service just isn't the same as it used to be. I just invested another $6,000 in a new recovery/recycle machine to keep up with the requirements of the newer cars and the EPA mandates for equipment. *****. So do what's best for your Viper, and find a shop that does a good job with HVAC work. Doesn't your car at least deserve that? - ASE certfied master technician -Allan

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can do it if you buy a cheap evacuating pump and manifold gauges, but it has to be pulled to vacuum before you refill it

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Autozone will let you used a vacuum pump with a deposit. A quick shot of dye will usually show you the leak with a uv light. At least if you can determine the leak and you can advise a tech on where to start. The dealer took 1500 from my dad to supposedly fix his viper a/c. Kept the car 3 times for a week, new condenser and lines, removed the fascia, put it back on wrong and could not get it fixed. I took me 5.00bucks for dye and 2 minutes to put it in. Ran the car then let it sit all night and then the leak showed up on the compressor o-rings. That took 20 bucks for the o-rings and refrigerant. I already have a set of good gauges, they come in handy. Cold ever since.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing the o-rings is pretty straightforward and a good idea to do before recharging. Vacuum is important as has been cited above, even a silly old Dodge dealer will do a vacuum, charge, dye for about $90......and will keep doing it free until the system doesn't leak. That's only a $40 premium for (1) doing it correctly, (2) not having to fuss with vacuum pumps or dye and (3) having a tacit guaranty that it doesn't leak.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anybody local to me (NOVA) needs a recharge let me know. I'm CFC certified, have the right equipment and work cheap or free for viper friends, (if you have a DIY bent, I'll help) ....

Cheers

Too bad your not in Texas. Will you work for beer???

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone try or use the AC recharge kits you can buy for 50.00 to recharge the system in a gen1 ?
Did my Gen2 about a year ago with the kit from Advance Auto (don't know what refrigerant your Gen1 uses though). Worked fine then , no issues, works fine now. Just watch the suction pressure limit for your ambient temp when charging the system.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have also had excellent results with these kits in several Vipers through the years...though I look at it as a short term solution to hold one over until the ROOT CAUSE of the problem can be found and repaired by a qualified Tech. In fact, a "Qualified Viper Tech" is heading our way at this moment...and, I have our '95 waiting for him with an A/C problem !!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anybody local to me (NOVA) needs a recharge let me know. I'm CFC certified, have the right equipment and work cheap or free for viper friends, (if you have a DIY bent, I'll help) ....

Cheers

Too bad your not in Texas. Will you work for beer???

Indeed, I do work for beer..lol