OIL

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What oil should I be using in my 2003? 0w-40 or 10w-30??
Filter type?

Thanks

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In warm climates I like the Mobil 1 15W-50. However, you're in Canada, and if you start the car much in cold temps (say, less than 40 F) the factory recommended 0W-40 100% synthetic is a good way to go.

Filter is the Mopar #05037836AB filter specifically designed for the Gen 1-3 Viper. (Lots of filters will fit, but...) Get 'em at Viper Parts of America for $11 each plus shipping (makes sense to order a few at once).

PS- there's already tons of oil threads :rolleyes:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Synthetic turbo diesel 5-40. Mobil or Rotella at 1/2 the price. Filter? Don't know about gen 3. If nothing mopar specific then a Mobil 1 oil filter.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a few of the threads but sooo many different opinions and many pages to **** through. The factory recommended 10w-30...apparently this has been changed to 0w-40 according to some members---I have seen nothing from Dodge indicating this so thought I would ask again!!
Filter suggested by some is a mopar performance 5037836AA...

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Synthetic turbo diesel 5-40. Mobil or Rotella at 1/2 the price. Filter? Don't know about gen 3. If nothing mopar specific then a Mobil 1 oil filter.
I have heard this as well! So no problems in an 03?? If the factory recommends 0w-40 now (apparently) why wouldn't they recommend the cheaper
5-40?
I'm not mechanically inclined so want to confirm what to use!!

Last edited:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a few of the threads but sooo many different opinions and many pages to **** through. The factory recommended 10w-30...apparently this has been changed to 0w-40 according to some members---I have seen nothing from Dodge indicating this so thought I would ask again!!

Filter suggested by some is a mopar performance 5037836AA...

When the MOPAR part number suffix is revised ("AA" to "AB" to "AC", etc.) it means that the old rev has been superseded (usually a minor detail change or improvement). I believe in this case the "AA" rev is obseleted by the "AB" rev, but you may still be able to find old stock parts around.

My 2005 Owner's Manual recommends Mobil 1 0w-40 for temp ranges less than -20 F to >100 F. Possibly the 0w- oils were not in common use yet in 2003. It also says the 5w-40 is good to go down to an ambient temp of -20 F (yikes). Around here the lowest temp of the entire year is more than +20 F.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...even though I live in Canada our area (Okanagan Valley in British Columbia) is quite mild and very hot in the summer!! Many call it the Hawaii of Canada - lol!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No need to beat this to death...Mobil 1's 10W-30 ceased to be the factory fill after 2004...and is a LESSER oil than Mobil 1's 0W-40 or their 15W-50...just look at the levels on Zinc and Phosphorus and the viscosity numbers.

YES, while the Gen I, II, III recommemded SRT oil filter WAS part number 5037836AA...it has been UPGRADED to 5037836AB

Stop by and I'll give you an arm-load of "AA's" as I am only using the "AB's" on our Gen I-III Vipers!! :)

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the Gen V factory fill will be Pennzoil Ultra 0w40...it is known to be a very good oil in its other weights, so I'm expecting good things from this one as well.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Penzoil Ulrta Euro 5W-40 looks like a great oil...and can be found at some Dodge dealers.

Mobil 1's 0W-40 was the Viper factory fill for Vipers in 2005 & 2006 and for 2008-2010.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to beat this to death...Mobil 1's 10W-30 ceased to be the factory fill after 2004...and is a LESSER oil than Mobil 1's 0W-40 or their 15W-50...just look at the levels on Zinc and Phosphorus and the viscosity numbers.

YES, while the Gen I, II, III recommemded SRT oil filter WAS part number 5037836AA...it has been UPGRADED to 5037836AB

Stop by and I'll give you an arm-load of "AA's" as I am only using the "AB's" on our Gen I-III Vipers!! :)

So for my 03 it is best to use Mobil 1 0w-40 or the 15w-50 rather than the 10w-30?
Looking at a local store today they have a mopar filter for the Viper but the part number is nowhere close to the part numbers quoted on this thread....maybe a Canadian thing...but it is a black filter - someone mentioned that this is the newer part.
Like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined so really appreciate all of the advice!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were my car, I'd use the Mobil 1 0w40 and be done with it. The 15w50 would be a little too thick for Canada IMO.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:bdh:...........use whatever you're comfortable with, probably 0w40 would be the best for your climate. The motor ain't gonna blow up if you put something else in it though. If you're tracking the car, most guys run the 15w50.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So for my 03 it is best to use Mobil 1 0w-40 or the 15w-50 rather than the 10w-30?
Looking at a local store today they have a mopar filter for the Viper but the part number is nowhere close to the part numbers quoted on this thread....maybe a Canadian thing...but it is a black filter - someone mentioned that this is the newer part.
Like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined so really appreciate all of the advice!

The chances of your local store having the correct filter is between slim and none. And if the one they have is black, it's none.
There is a Mopar filter that will "fit" the Viper, but it is not the correct filter. The ones for our cars are white and either say Viper or SRT on them. They are specifically made to handle the higher oil pressures of the Viper. Just save yourself the second-guessing and order a few from VPA. You might/might not have an issue with a different one, but why risk it? I ran out after my last oils change and just ordered a couple more from VPA.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knuk I live in Calgary and I too have an 03. I changed over from stock to 0w40 for our climate. Runs great and no valve noise. Im not sure if you can hear valve chatter with yours but if so, this quiets it up nicely. I have had mine apart thinking it needed adjusment but that was not the case. This is normal for our years. Just a heads up, when you inquire about oil types and whats best on here, it is..lets say a very touchy subject. Reminds me of whine tasters, and what they think about whats better and why. They debate forever..lol

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really a debate... Practically any 40wt oil will do as most of em have elevated levels of anti-wear additives over a typical 30wt blend. I use Shell Rotella T6 5w40 , or Motul8100 5w40 in my Gen2 and would the same in a Gen3

On the filter: Straight from the SRT engineers; there is a couple good reasons why they picked the current filter(NAPA Gold # FIL 1085) over all the others that they tested. Trust them. Buy the NAPA Gold or the Mopar"Viper"(white w/black letters) rebranded version.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is interesting. My dealer uses the same Mopar 5281090BA (part number on the receipt) on both my 03 Viper and my 07 SRT8. Do a little google searching, there appears to be some debate over on the SRT10 boards about that number - seems it was OEM on some of the SRT trucks, which of course are the same 8.3L engine.

Last edited:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting. My dealer uses the same Mopar 5281090BA (part number on the receipt) on both my 03 Viper and my 07 SRT8. Do a little google searching, there appears to be some debate over on the SRT10 boards about that number - seems it was OEM on some of the SRT trucks, which of course are the same 8.3L engine.

Dealer? Scott really?:rolleyes:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
THey do it when it's in for state inspection, which will be next week actually. Otherwise, I'd do it at your place.

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really a debate... Practically any 40wt oil will do as most of em have elevated levels of anti-wear additives over a typical 30wt blend. I use Shell Rotella T6 5w40 , or Motul8100 5w40 in my Gen2 and would the same in a Gen3

On the filter: Straight from the SRT engineers; there is a couple good reasons why they picked the current filter(NAPA Gold # FIL 1085) over all the others that they tested. Trust them. Buy the NAPA Gold or the Mopar"Viper"(white w/black letters) rebranded version.

The 05037836AB filter that is White with Black lettering that says "Viper" on it is not the same as the NAPA Gold # 1085. I've cut them apart and there are several differences. They are NOT the same filter! I've been going to post pictures and list the differences just haven't had the time to get it done. I'll try to get to it this weekend if not before. Also cut the Mobile 1 filter as well. It is not the same as either of the other 2.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 05037836AB filter that is White with Black lettering that says "Viper" on it is not the same as the NAPA Gold # 1085. I've cut them apart and there are several differences. They are NOT the same filter! I've been going to post pictures and list the differences just haven't had the time to get it done. I'll try to get to it this weekend if not before. Also cut the Mobile 1 filter as well. It is not the same as either of the other 2.

Which one is built better? The Mopar unit, or the others?

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mopar unit. It appears to have a thicker shell. However I've not measured it yet. Also the Mopar appears to have the most filter area as well. The bypass valve is different as well. After cutting them apart I'm definetly using the Mopar filter. It's not that the other are bad however the Mopar appears to be better. I use the NAPA Gold filters on my daily drivers, have for years.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go to Mcdonalds and get their used french fry oil. Perfect thickness and your motor will love all the special "additives". Plus it smells great when you hammer the throttle.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go to Mcdonalds and get their used french fry oil. Perfect thickness and your motor will love all the special "additives". Plus it smells great when you hammer the throttle.

Careful with that MacDonald's oil. I recently witnessed a blackbird snap up a McDonald's french fry off an outside table, flew 30 feet-- then dropped to the ground, dead as a stone. True story.

Are we still on topic?? Sorry, then a Viper came along and ran over the poor, dead bird. The oil from the french fry caused the Viper to lose traction and slide into a concrete retaining wall. See it all at Wrecked_Neurotics.com .

Just love oil threads. ;)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting find MadMax, thanks for taking the time to dissect the filters:2tu:

I'll go back and find the post where the engineers were talking about the filters and repost it here. Perhaps i was mistaken....

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bahahahaha! Nice Rizzo, nice. I was gonna suggest our Ft. Mac oil but its been deemed "dirty" so of no use to our vipers...or the world I guess.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth