Value of older tires?

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of the original pilot sport tires off a 99 Viper (replaced them and set them aside when I bought the car 5 years ago). They look great, 85% tread or better, but at their age I'm sure they've hardened up and wouldn't be very driveable.

Has the viper become "classic enough" for there to be a market for original tires in great condition? Basically, I'm trying to decide if they're worth the space in the garage or if I should just dump the rears on craigslist for $50 so someone can use them for burnouts.

BGSNKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some tire shops here in MN will not mount and balance tires 10 years or older. I still have the original front tires on my 2000 Viper and it drives fine. Someone may be willing to take them off your hand. Place them on Craigslist.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 1 front tire off my 08 with about 7000 miles on it if anybody has a need for it, cheap $ + shipping just to get it out of my garage.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I suppose a collector might want them to put on a show car.

I would not drive on them as they are dangerous on a Viper.

We see far too many Viper crashes due to old tires.

Dan

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose a collector might want them to put on a show car.

I would not drive on them as they are dangerous on a Viper.

We see far too many Viper crashes due to old tires.

Dan

I had the original tires on my 01 RT-10 up until late last year. I bought the car off the first owner in April of last year. At the time I was stock and couldn't put the power down at all. I actually had to worry about shifting into second going straight because the rear end would step out. I replaced them late last year and found out that despite being a 2001 Viper, the tires were manufactured in 1998! I still have them just in case I want to smoke them for some fun! But I can attest to the fact of how dangerous old tires are on a Viper.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two words: Dry Rot.

I saved my old tires to make outdoor seating. I punched holes in them for drainage but I haven't got to putting the wood top yet. Once I'm done, i should have either an interesting piece or just a horrible idea. :crazy2:I'll know over summer.:2tu: