Thread: GT500 Actually Puts Down 662 Horsepower "Viper Who ?"

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    VCA Member
    South Florida

Default Re: GT500 Actually Puts Down 662 Horsepower "Viper Who ?"

One more point Patentlaw. You stated: "So the Gen V looks nothing like a Gen II? Clown shoe vs. Ferragamo? As I recall, the Gen V is LESS efficient in the wind tunnel than the Gen II." Wrong again. The Cd figure has a down force component which causes the Cd figure to be misleading. The Gen II ( Cd of .35) was and, unless modified with something like the Roe front bumper fascia cooling duct ( I had one on my supercharged Gen II), starts to lift in the front after 125 or so MPH. The stock Gen II is not in the same league as far as aerodynamic stability and down force as the Gen V (Cd of .364 because of the down force). There is Cd and CdA. CdA is far more releavnt and is what car companies use internally to determine aerodynamic efficiency. I believe the CdA of the Gen V is better than the CdA of the Gen II.

An excerpt from a post from Steve X82 on GasSavers.org:

"CdA actually considers more factors, as it is Cd (drag coefficient) multiplied by A (the frontal area of the object in question).For example: Car A has great aerodynamics (Cd=0.25), but a very tall roofline and, consequentially, a large frontal area of 3.0m^2. Car B is less slippery (Cd=0.35), but is smaller overall and has a frontal area of only 2.0m^2. At any speed, Car B will cause less aerodynamic drag and waste less energy overcoming it.

Just in case you're interested, the formula for aerodynamic drag is:

1/2 * rho * velocity^2 * Cd * A where rho is air density (which changes with temperature, altitude, etc)"
    Last edited by Bobpantax; 04-27-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    2014 Blk SRT Viper TA; old Vper: Q: 11.4 sec. st mi: 174; 08 SRT8 Jeep(159.52 in st mi)(Q:12.13/111.7);00 Fd Lightning:Q:12.89/105.48. Best Quarter mile result ( Top Dragster): 207.43 /6.793

Viper Owner

Such a ridiculous article. A few more hp does not equate t obetter numbers on the track. It only adds hype to an overweight slug of a car. I am willing to bet that when the two meet up side by side the story's title will be much different.

Viper Owner

I would be much more impressed if Ford re-introduced the FGT with this new motor and it had a base price of $95k. Now that would really be something !

VCA Member
    South Florida

Agreed. Then it would be apples to apples subject to the limitations of a boosted application versus NA.

Quote Originally Posted by v10enomous View Post
    I would be much more impressed if Ford re-introduced the FGT with this new motor and it had a base price of $95k. Now that would really be something !
    2014 Blk SRT Viper TA; old Vper: Q: 11.4 sec. st mi: 174; 08 SRT8 Jeep(159.52 in st mi)(Q:12.13/111.7);00 Fd Lightning:Q:12.89/105.48. Best Quarter mile result ( Top Dragster): 207.43 /6.793

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Bobpantax View Post
    Agreed. Then it would be apples to apples subject to the limitations of a boosted application versus NA.
    I was poking around on the GT500 site and one guy was saying... "I think I'll keep my 2010 GT500 and save to buy a new SRT Viper in a couple of years"

Most of them over there understand the difference and respect the Viper and they are more than content to beat up on the Camaro crew.

VCA Member
    South Florida

They should beat up on the Camaro crew. Did you see the performance stats for the ZL1? 12.5 sec in the quarter with 580 HP? My boosted Challenger has run an 11.996 quarter on a warm, very humid day and generates less HP than that. However, someone will change the pulley and tweak the calibration of the ZL1, as has been done on the ZR1 and the CTSV, and make this puppy into a monster. Also, I am not a convertible person but the 2013 ZL1 convertible is an interesting vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by v10enomous View Post
    I was poking around on the GT500 site and one guy was saying... "I think I'll keep my 2010 GT500 and save to buy a new SRT Viper in a couple of years"

Most of them over there understand the difference and respect the Viper and they are more than content to beat up on the Camaro crew.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 2006red/whitecoupe View Post
    ......and the leftover 2012 GT 500's.
    I hope the prices tank. Then I can pick up a new 2 yr old 2012 GT 500 for my wife. 550 hp is plenty for her.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by shooter_t1 View Post
    I hope the prices tank. Then I can pick up a new 2 yr old 2012 GT 500 for my wife. 550 hp is plenty for her.
    i like your thinking

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bobpantax View Post
    This thread was discussing the 2013 Mustang GT 500 and the 2013 Viper. The Gen IV is not relevant. Having competed with a heavily modded Mustang at a standing mile event I can assure you that while the Mustang may hit 200 MPH after far more than one mile that it will also take longer to do so than a 2013 Viper. Just compare the two front ends. The stock 2013 SRT Viper will be faster 0 to 60, in the quarter mile, around a road course, and time to top speed than the stock Mustang GT 500. I am willing to make a friendly $500 dollar bet on that where the loser pays the money to The Wounded Warrior Project. OK Patentlaw? Let me know.
    More stupidity from you. If a Viper beats a Mustang around a course by a 1/2 second because it has wider tires and rims, then it is not an apples to oranges comparison?

Oh, and nice Wikipedia work from you again on coefficient of drag on the other post. Perhaps if you actually did this kind of work, you would not have to post such a long and involved post to make yourself sound impressive. The facts are as follows. You practice Tax law. You do not have a license to practice engineering, so I guess you have to try make yourself important on a subject where you are not an expert. You also do not have a Masters degree. You also do not have a professional engineering degree. Most likely, you never ever attended an engineering class in your life. I stand by what I said. If the Mustang is so aerodynamically inefficient, then to have that high of a top speed, the car must be making even more horsepower. The Mustang OBVIOUSLY has a greater frontal area, so you just proved my point.

The facts are kind of basic, but you still do not seem to get it. The new Mustang is clearly a great car. It has a superior power to weight ratio to every current Viper produced. It is for sale at half the cost. Heck, Shelby was involved in both the Viper (past) and this Mustang. There is a clear connection. The Mustang is not a luxury car. A previous edition of the Viper was race ready at 450 hp, but the Mustang is not at over 650 hp? Your bias clearly shows. Your argument is illogical. And to think that the Mustang will not take sales away from the Viper would be a business mistake. Have you ever done any engineering, design or technical work for a major automaufacturer? Guess not.

The article says "Viper who".....not "2013 Viper who".....Everyone here drives a Gen I to IV viper.

The Mustang will most likely be able to be modified much more inexpensively than the Viper to make it a great choice for racers.

Lastly, your "bet" for the wounded warriors project is just a dumb attempt at trying to take the higher ground in a subject which you know nothing about. More pablum from you. If you want to donate to them, by all means. Flash your cash somewhere else.

Face it.....you spouted to everyone on this board for 2 years that the car would have 700 hp. You created an unrealistic expectation because you did not understand the business model or physics. You were called out on it. You were wrong. Instead, you try to save face more.

Enthusiast

I dont know if the new STANG will be able to beat a GEN 4 QUARTER MILE WISE BUT IT WILL BE CLOSE )In 2008 the guys at MUSCLE MUSTANG and FAST FORD ran my GEN 4 against A modded SHELBY SUPER SNAKE PUTTING DOWN 650 TO THE TIRE .THE SUPERSNAKE TRAPPED 133 TO MY 129 AT Englishtown. The new SNAKE motor wise will be slightly stronger than a GEN 4 but the car is also heavier with alot less tire

VCA Member
    South Florida

Sorry to see you so upset. Are you going through some sort of personal crisis? VCA Forum Rule violation aside (personal attacks are prohibited), will you take the bet or not? If you read my posts more carefully, you will see that I never said the GT 500 was not a great car. It is just not, as I stated in another post above, in the same category as a Viper. See othe responses below. I hope that you feel better. Take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatentLaw View Post
    More stupidity from you. If a Viper beats a Mustang around a course by a 1/2 second because it has wider tires and rims, then it is not an apples to oranges comparison?

Oh, and nice Wikipedia work from you again on coefficient of drag on the other post. Perhaps if you actually did this kind of work, you would not have to post such a long and involved post to make yourself sound impressive. The facts are as follows. You practice Tax law. You do not have a license to practice engineering, so I guess you have to try make yourself important on a subject where you are not an expert. You also do not have a Masters degree. You also do not have a professional engineering degree. Most likely, you never ever attended an engineering class in your life. I stand by what I said. If the Mustang is so aerodynamically inefficient, then to have that high of a top speed, the car must be making even more horsepower. The Mustang OBVIOUSLY has a greater frontal area, so you just proved my point. NO. YOU PROVED MY POINT. THE MUSTANG NEEDS MORE POWER TO ACHIEVE LESS TOP SPEED AND THAT IS BECAUSE OF THE INCREASED FRONTAL AREA RESULTING IN THE INFERIOR CdA. EVEN 4 MPH FASTER IS QUITE A BIT AT THESE SPEEDS. DO SOME STANDING MILE EVENTS AND YOU WILL SEE THE REALITY OF THIS.

The facts are kind of basic, but you still do not seem to get it. The new Mustang is clearly a great car. It has a superior power to weight ratio to every current Viper produced. It is for sale at half the cost. Heck, Shelby was involved in both the Viper (past) and this Mustang. There is a clear connection. The Mustang is not a luxury car. AGREED A previous edition of the Viper was race ready at 450 hp, but the Mustang is not at over 650 hp? Your bias clearly shows. THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WEIGHT AND SKID PAD RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. Your argument is illogical. And to think that the Mustang will not take sales away from the Viper ( I DO NOT THINK IT WILL TAKE ANY SALES AWAY FROM THE VIPER. MUSTANG BUYERS ( PEOPLE WHO CAN AFFORD THE COST OF THE MUSTANG GT 500) WERE NOT THE FOCUS OF SRT'S EFFORTS. SEE PAGE 42 OF THE JUNE EDITION OF C&D. PEOPLE WHO BUY PORSCHES, FERRARI'S, NISSAN GTRs, Audi R8s AND OTHER, SIMILAR HIGH END VEHICLES WERE. TO MOST PURCHASERS OF NEW VIPERS, A MUSTANG MAY BE A NICE SECOND OR THIRD CAR CHOICE BUT NOT A VIPER SUBSTITUTE. IF YOU DO NOT PERCEIVE THIS BASED ON THE MANY POSTS ON THESE FORUMS I CAN ONLY SAY THAT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DOING MORE READING OF THE PAST POSTS COMPARING CARS OVER THE LAST 12 YEARS.) would be a business mistake. Have you ever done any engineering, design or technical work for a major automaufacturer? Guess not.

The article says "Viper who".....not "2013 Viper who".....Everyone here drives a Gen I to IV viper. ( THE ARTICLE IS A RESPONSE TO THE 2013 VIPER )

The Mustang will most likely be able to be modified much more inexpensively than the Viper to make it a great choice for racers. ( I MADE THIS POINT ABOVE.)

Lastly, your "bet" for the wounded warriors project is just a dumb attempt at trying to take the higher ground in a subject which you know nothing about. More pablum from you. If you want to donate to them, by all means. Flash your cash somewhere else. ( WRONG AGAIN. YOU ARE SURE OF YOURSELF SO WHAT'S YOUR RISK? WHY NOT TAKE THE BET. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE. AS FOR FLASHING CASH, IF THE AMOUNT IS TOO HIGH FOR YOU ( I FIGURED THAT THE AMOUNT WAS REASONABLE SINCE YOU ARE A PRACTICING, EMPLOYED LAWYER AND THAT $500 WAS A NICE CONTRIBUTION TO A WORTHY CAUSE), PICK A LOWER NUMBER.

Face it.....you spouted to everyone on this board for 2 years that the car would have 700 hp. You created an unrealistic expectation because you did not understand the business model or physics. You were called out on it. You were wrong. Instead, you try to save face more.
    YOU NEED TO DO A BIT MORE RESEARCH REGARDING MY POSTS. I STATED THAT I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS MOST LIKELY THAT THE NUMBER WOULD COME IN BETWEEN 660 and 700 BUT THAT 660 SEEMED MOST LIKELY. I WAS OFF BY 20 HP. I AM COMFORTABLE WITH THAT. SORRY IF YOU WERE DISAPPOINTED. WE ALREADY KNOW THAT MOPAR WILL BE COMING OUT WITH AN OFF ROAD CONTROLLER WITH A MORE AGGRESSIVE CALIBRATION. ONCE THAT IS AVAILABLE, I THINK MY PREDICTION WILL BE RIGHT ON THE MONEY.

BOTTOM LINE. THE 2013 MUSTANG GT 500, WHILE INTERESTING, IS NOT A COMPARABLE VEHICLE TO THE 2013 VIPER.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY.
    Last edited by Bobpantax; 04-29-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Viper Owner

This thread is funny. The Mustang and Viper are not even in the same class of car. A Viper is a sports car, Mustang is a Pony car (or muscle). Your comparing a vehicle designed around the track to a vehicle designed to go in a straight line. Apples to oranges. People race honda civics to, doesn't make it a sports car. It is obviously impressive the amount of HP the Mustang is making but once again it looks like every other mustang out there. Ford has done this since the original GT500's. They look too close to the cheap model Mustang. Same reason the 40k Corvette looks very similar to the 130k Corvette. Performance wise they are night and day difference but to the normal person you really have to look for the differences. To each's own but I would NEVER spend 60k on a damn Mustang.

I can't wait for mine to be built. Although I think it's a awesome machine it is no super car and should not be compared to one.

One thing it is going to be is a hell of street brawler. Especially with the affordable aftermarket.

Already got sticky tires waiting for it.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerThis View Post

One thing it is going to be is a hell of street brawler.
    That's for sure ! Once they id the 2013 Shelby there will be a lot of very pricey cars dreading the day they find themselves lined up at a red light with open road ahead but there will be a few like the 2013 Viper that will relish the moment.

VCA Member
    Houston

Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    I am looking forward to people asking me if my '02 GTS is one of them new Vipers. (or Ferrari F12)
    Very well said and Im sure you will get asked that next year. Very similar looking anyway. The new stang is very heavy and that whacky light blue color model in the article is terrible for a true muscle car. I cannot wait for a comparo article on the two cars next year. Except for the price difference, the new Viper will rate no. 1 Im sure in all categories.
    2009 ACR Hardcore

Viper Owner

I tip my hat to Ford for the new GT500! I'm looking forward to seeing it tested and see what it does at the drag strip and on the road course. I don't see it doing very well w/ 285's on the rear despite being the most powerful production V8 in the world. Just don't seein' being able to get traction. My guess is that the ZL1 will be faster around a road course IMHO.

Not sure why they are trying to throw a dig at the Viper, the stang costs less and has more hp. That does't tell the whole story. Can't wait for the comparisons later this year.

VCA Member
    Southern California
    W Zone Director

Not sure what the controversy is here.

The Viper is designed to be a road course winner, the Mustang, a drag strip winner.

Vipers can do well at the drag strip, but that is not where they have been optimized. The mustang can probably get around a road course pretty well, but that is not the top of their design DNA.

Both put down tremendous power to weight HP numbers, but one is a muscle pony car, and the other a sports car. With a 500 lb advantage to the Viper and perhaps a price advantage to the Mustang, I see little cross shopping.

Since neither of these cars has hit the streets, I guess these forums are the only place that they can be compared for months to come.
    Paul Hawker, San Diego
    Baby you can drive my car,
    beep beep, beep beep YEA!

VCA # 05669

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Next Phase View Post
    I tip my hat to Ford for the new GT500! I'm looking forward to seeing it tested and see what it does at the drag strip and on the road course. I don't see it doing very well w/ 285's on the rear despite being the most powerful production V8 in the world. Just don't seein' being able to get traction. My guess is that the ZL1 will be faster around a road course IMHO.

Not sure why they are trying to throw a dig at the Viper, the stang costs less and has more hp. That does't tell the whole story. Can't wait for the comparisons later this year.
    Its fast(i can tell you that from talking with someone that did a ton of FORDS DRAG TESTING ON THEM) BUT as you posted the car needs alot more tire .ALMOST NONE of the guys buying them ARE RUNNING THEM IN STOCK CONFIGURANTION OR STOCK TIRES ANYWAY.To put it in perspective last year the MAG GUYS did a test on a 2011 SHELBY (CAM CHANGE FORD MOTORSPORT BLOWER )ON 92 OCTAINE PUT DOWN 770 TO THE TIRES (completely streatablle reliable ect )

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hawker View Post
    Not sure what the controversy is here.

The Viper is designed to be a road course winner, the Mustang, a drag strip winner.

Vipers can do well at the drag strip, but that is not where they have been optimized. The mustang can probably get around a road course pretty well, but that is not the top of their design DNA.

Both put down tremendous power to weight HP numbers, but one is a muscle pony car, and the other a sports car. With a 500 lb advantage to the Viper and perhaps a price advantage to the Mustang, I see little cross shopping.

Since neither of these cars has hit the streets, I guess these forums are the only place that they can be compared for months to come.
    Paul,

I think you've summed it up pretty good. What my friends associated with Ford have told me is that the car had to be de-tuned to get the numbers down to the 650 hp original claim, so there is a lot left in the system if one were to tap it.

But, I'm also hearing the car can be heat challenged, so I doubt you can do 10 hot laps at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow in any sort of heat without cooling issues. My friends with Ford GTs can often times get their cars hot (less weight and hp) when the temps are high at track events. Because of a bad grill design, even the Ford Boss 302's were overheating like crazy at Miller Motorsports Park at the Ford GT owners annual meeting.....and this was only a 444 hp NA motor.

It is a good time to be a petrol head in the USA.....ten years ago I would have never guessed we'd see cars coming out of Detroit with 600 plus hp. Competition is good and makes everyone step up their game.

Cheers,
    George

VCA Member
    South Florida

Look at post number 18.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PatentLaw View Post

Oh, and nice Wikipedia work from you again on coefficient of drag on the other post. Perhaps if you actually did this kind of work, you would not have to post such a long and involved post to make yourself sound impressive. The facts are as follows. You practice Tax law. You do not have a license to practice engineering, so I guess you have to try make yourself important on a subject where you are not an expert. You also do not have a Masters degree. You also do not have a professional engineering degree. Most likely, you never ever attended an engineering class in your life. I stand by what I said. If the Mustang is so aerodynamically inefficient, then to have that high of a top speed, the car must be making even more horsepower. The Mustang OBVIOUSLY has a greater frontal area, so you just proved my point.

The facts are kind of basic, but you still do not seem to get it. The new Mustang is clearly a great car. It has a superior power to weight ratio to every current Viper produced. It is for sale at half the cost. Heck, Shelby was involved in both the Viper (past) and this Mustang. There is a clear connection. The Mustang is not a luxury car. A previous edition of the Viper was race ready at 450 hp, but the Mustang is not at over 650 hp? Your bias clearly shows. Your argument is illogical. And to think that the Mustang will not take sales away from the Viper would be a business mistake. Have you ever done any engineering, design or technical work for a major automaufacturer? Guess not.

The article says "Viper who".....not "2013 Viper who".....Everyone here drives a Gen I to IV viper.

The Mustang will most likely be able to be modified much more inexpensively than the Viper to make it a great choice for racers.

Lastly, your "bet" for the wounded warriors project is just a dumb attempt at trying to take the higher ground in a subject which you know nothing about. More pablum from you. If you want to donate to them, by all means. Flash your cash somewhere else.

I notice that you never took the bet. What Bob was trying to get into your skull is that you can have all the power and not be able to put it to the ground. The 22HP difference between the two will in now way make up for the difference in weight and suspension. One is a track car and the other is a drag car. You seem to have a hard time understanding which is which. Maybe you should take a few more physics classes before you start implying stuff you have no idea what you are talking about. I will venture to bet that the 2013 GT500 will do no better than 11.7 secs in the 1/4. Now the current Gen 4 can do that with ease with a good driver. In fact, with a good driver they can break into the 10's, right? Pretty big difference there especially considering the new Gen 5 has TC, stiffer chassis, and more HP than the Gen 4. . No one is saying that the 2013 GT500 isn't a great bang for the buck but it is entirely in a different niche.
    There is a reason that the King of the Ring is the Viper!!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Alabaster Mamba View Post
    I notice that you never took the bet. What Bob was trying to get into your skull is that you can have all the power and not be able to put it to the ground. The 22HP difference between the two will in now way make up for the difference in weight and suspension. One is a track car and the other is a drag car. You seem to have a hard time understanding which is which. Maybe you should take a few more physics classes before you start implying stuff you have no idea what you are talking about. I will venture to bet that the 2013 GT500 will do no better than 11.7 secs in the 1/4. Now the current Gen 4 can do that with ease with a good driver. In fact, with a good driver they can break into the 10's, right? Pretty big difference there especially considering the new Gen 5 has TC, stiffer chassis, and more HP than the Gen 4. . No one is saying that the 2013 GT500 isn't a great bang for the buck but it is entirely in a different niche.
    There is a reason that the King of the Ring is the Viper!!
    I cant get myself in trouble here but personallyI DEFINATELY WOULD NOT MAKE THAT BET ALABASTER MAMBA .I would venture say this A 2013 GT 500 and a Gen 4 (both stock ) at a drag strip will definately come down to the drivers

Viper Owner

WOW! Is someone going to be called a poopee head soon?

VCA Member
    South Florida

The bet, if it is ever accepted, is 2013 Gen V versus 2013 Mustang GT 500. Alabaster Mamba's post shows that he understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADGTS View Post
    I cant get myself in trouble here but personallyI DEFINATELY WOULD NOT MAKE THAT BET ALABASTER MAMBA .I would venture say this A 2013 GT 500 and a Gen 4 (both stock ) at a drag strip will definately come down to the drivers

Viper Owner

I'm not quite sure what is the horsepower of 2011 Shelby GT 500 but I believe it is around 550, compare that with a genn III at 505. Not exactly sure which one is faster but I think this would give a pretty good comparison 2013 gt500 and gen IV and V.

Enthusiast

I didnt say anything about a GEN 5 .The person in the script said he was WILLING TO BET A 2013 GT 500 couldnt run better than 11.7 STOCK. To which i replyied i wouldnt take that bet.

VCA Member
    South Florida

You are right. I missed the fact that he offered a different scenario. Sorry.

I would 100% take that bet...it will run better than 11.7 bone stock.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerThis View Post
    I would 100% take that bet...it will run better than 11.7 bone stock.
    EXACTLY IF the track is PREPPED and the driver capable it should not be a problem .

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADGTS View Post
    I didnt say anything about a GEN 5 .The person in the script said he was WILLING TO BET A 2013 GT 500 couldnt run better than 11.7 STOCK. To which i replyied i wouldnt take that bet.
    If you google MUSCLE MUSTANG AND FAST FORD MAG i believe they have an article (direct reference to this thread )which states that ES was brought in by FORD to DO ALOT OF TEST DRIVING on the 2013 MUSTANG COBRA prototypes. It just goes to show just how long IT TAKES FOR A CAR TO DEVELOP FROM PROTOTYPE TO SHOWROOM as FORD was bringing him THERE WAY OVER A YEAR AGO TO WORK ON THIS PROJECT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast