How to get rid of UV coloration on white plastic?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you guys don't mind me asking here, but I have 2 hard plastic items in white that are discolored from ageing and UV exposure and was wondering if there is anything to remedy this. A nagging memory snippet keeps telling me that a long time ago someone had a substance complete with how-to and explanation of how it worked to undo the UV damage?

OP
OP
I

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does plastic polish have some kind of agent in it to dissolve the coloration? Any recommendations that are available in or willing to ship to Europe? Sanding is not an option because there is black text on the showroom plate that needs to remain intact.

Last edited:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the black text raised? If so you should be able to polish around the letters with a flattened stick and felt.
If it's all flush that's tough. The plastic polish I've used is abrasive just like when they do paint restorations.

OP
OP
I

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uvbnbit, this is the plate I am talking about:

You must be registered for see images attach

Kind of like dealership plates in the U.S. but then for a specific vehicle type.

@VYPR BYT 94: the black text is ever so slightly raised, I share your concern for any kind of polish being abrasive so when the bottle of plastic polish that I ordered this afternoon has arrived I will need something like you describe.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too think a polish will take the black off. It might be more trouble than it's worth, but you could put some masking/painter's tape across the top and "carefully" trim around letters with razor blade. Polish around best as possible.? ?

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ITV, you just need to make a little sanding stick to do the job. Take a piece of wood and make it a comfortable/appropriate size or style for the job. Then get some 2 sided masking tape and stick it on the end to hold the sandpaper and cut around it with a knife.

This will help you polish the white areas without hitting the raised black areas.
You may, depending on the severity of the discoloration, need to start out with as low as 220 grit along with the polish and then work your way up to like 1500 grit. Just don't try to jump too much at one time... go in gradual increments.

I'd be shocked if this doesn't work. Good luck!
Mike

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best thing to do is clean them really well with a mild detergent, such as Adam's All Purpose Cleaner.

Next, treat them to Adam's Super VRT to restore the low gloss black sheen. Super VRT has a UV protectant and moisturizer so it will keep your plastic from fading. It is also waterproof, so it will last a long time.

Post some pics of the parts you are working on. Also, email me and I'll get you a bottle of VRT to try.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best thing to do is clean them really well with a mild detergent, such as Adam's All Purpose Cleaner.

Next, treat them to Adam's Super VRT to restore the low gloss black sheen. Super VRT has a UV protectant and moisturizer so it will keep your plastic from fading. It is also waterproof, so it will last a long time.

Post some pics of the parts you are working on. Also, email me and I'll get you a bottle of VRT to try.

Just run it over to him real quick. :D