Thread: Hot Interior

Reply to Thread
    VCA Member
    Houston

Default Hot Interior

Has anybody ever had hot air blowing thru the vents on a cool day from the engine compartment?

VCA Member
    North Central Texas

Default Re: Hot Interior

HELLO? Welcome to a race car that is street legal! The air system is in the engine compartment and gets hot along with everything else. Run you A/C to cool down the vents and then go to 'outside' air ... usually works for me here in Texas. Plus, both windows down for 10-15 minutes when you take off to clear all the heat sink in the interior and then go to the AC. Nobody ever said it was going to be Your Father's Oldsmobile. :-)
    Mike
    01 GTS - S/S, Belanger headers, RT High Flow Cats, SCT tune, BBG Heritage 2 clutch
    Snakes CAN fly!!

Viper Owner

I do when the heater is on......lol. Yes these cars run hot on the interior from the engine and mostly the exhaust. GEN IV is about the coolest since the crossover pipe was removed.

Welcome to Viper

Bruce

Viper Owner

What Gen? Gen 1s are their own story.....

Diane

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by viper67wife View Post
    What Gen? Gen 1s are their own story.....

Diane
    What he said...

VCA Member
    Houston

Thanks I was just wondering, because it does get pretty hot after awhile, but the car is a blast to drive.

Enthusiast

I don't know what gen you have, but I removed all the factory exhaust on my 03 and went with a aftermarket system that elimated the cross over pipes and it does make a huge difference. Everyone keeps preaching it, and honestly I figured they were all just babies. Now that I have done it, I see why. Good luck with the heat. My next project is stripping the interior and doing a layer of dynomat to help with heat and noise.

Viper Owner

I Just run the A/C on low with the windows down.

VCA Member
    Houston

Quote Originally Posted by ninjakris View Post
    I don't know what gen you have, but I removed all the factory exhaust on my 03 and went with a aftermarket system that elimated the cross over pipes and it does make a huge difference. Everyone keeps preaching it, and honestly I figured they were all just babies. Now that I have done it, I see why. Good luck with the heat. My next project is stripping the interior and doing a layer of dynomat to help with heat and noise.
    I have aftermarket exhaust and I dont know if they removed the crossover, but I am sure that they did. I have a Gen 3.
    2003 SRT-10 Black W/Black Interior Belanger Headers High Flo Cats Larger Throttle Body

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ramedjr View Post
    Has anybody ever had hot air blowing thru the vents on a cool day from the engine compartment?
    I have aftermarket exhaust and I dont know if they removed the crossover, but I am sure that they did. I have a Gen 3.
    I'm not an expert and am not claiming to be but perhaps there could be another issue. I have not heard of this problem (whats mentioned above) with the GEN III's. Maybe someone else can chime in.

VCA Member
    Virginia / Maryland

I don't think you have enough cool days in Houston to worry about it.

But yeah, even the gen4 will heat up enough that you need AC here and there on a fairly cool day. Usually I just roll down the windows.

VCA Member
    Houston

Yea I do to but the heat is coming from the A/C vents. So rolling the windows does help but you can still feel it.
    2003 SRT-10 Black W/Black Interior Belanger Headers High Flo Cats Larger Throttle Body

VCA Member
    Houston

I was just wondering if this is natural or do I have something wrong. Also where can we take the cars to be worked on that the mechanic is a trusted Viper mechanic?

FrgMstr

I was just wondering if this is natural or do I have something wrong. Also where can we take the cars to be worked on that the mechanic is a trusted Viper mechanic?
    Brother, it is totally normal. Sometimes it is worse than others. Turn on the AC and boogie on in big HTown.

Viper Owner

Cockpit heat is a well known "feature". Fixed in the Gen4 I believe. Never thought it was bad enough to bother me personally. Run the A/C if you want, that will help. Also, on my Gen 3 vert, the heat from the hood vents rolls into the cockpit on the road when the top and windows are down. They say the Gen4 style hood solves this problem. I will find out this summer. I hope so because I find that more annoying than the exhaust heat.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by AJ02 View Post
    I Just run the A/C on low with the windows down.
    Ditto.

Viper Owner

My 1st Viper didn't even have an air conditioner.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraken View Post
    My 1st Viper didn't even have an air conditioner.
    exactly... my 94 had it as an option. I love the rawness of the gen1's. Sort of a nostalgic feel to them - probably explains why I love those old 427 cobras with the plain interior and side pipes.

Viper Owner

Yea I do to but the heat is coming from the A/C vents. So rolling the windows does help but you can still feel it.
    Wait...are you saying that even with the vents 'closed' and a/c off you are still getting heat coming thru the vents???

I don't have THAT issue...mine blow ice cold for about 20 minutes then it turns to warm air. Fully charged a/c warm air....
    Last edited by fastandloud; 05-01-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I just enjoyed a nice Chopin/RB

VCA Member
    Houston

Yes exactly what I have now the vent may be open to outside air coming in. I turn the air on and the air coming thru the vents is now cool, but not cold.

Viper Owner

Most of the guy's in Houston trust the work performed by Morgan at Tomball Dodge, give the Service Mgr. a call ... David Milam 281-378(1474) to schedule an appt. Probably a good idea to get it up on a lift and give it the once over, the guys at Tomball Dodge will treat you right

VCA Member
    Houston

OK will do that I have no trust in the rest of the Tomball mechanics for different reasons. I will try him thou for the Viper. Are parts for the car pretty plentiful or do we have to go to outside sources.

Viper Owner

Are parts for the car pretty plentiful or do we have to go to outside sources.
    Tomball Dodge is very proud of their parts, you might be better off shopping at the VPA and having the larger items shipped directly to Tomball (like I did my tires). Sorry to hear about the other bad experiences, I've only taken my Viper there and have always been treated well

MODERATOR EDIT: Link to non site sponsor removed.

VPA:
    https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/

Viper Owner

On a Gen3 using the vent mode from outside air with no A/C, it does tend to run warm. If you look on the passenger side cowl where the "fresh air" intake is (just below/in front of the windshield), it is directly behind the right side hood vent. So hot air can exit the engine compartment from the hood vent and then flow into the ventilation system, mixed with some outside air of course. On a Gen IV the hood vents are farther forward and I believe the airflow is such that this issue is reduced significantly.

It is possible to reduce the flow of hot air from the right hood vent to the passenger compartment air intake by blocking two or three of the rear most vent slots on the passenger side. I've seen it done with ~1-inch high-density black foam rubber cut to fit inside the vent slot. Probably not a good idea to block off more than two or three of the slots-- and best to leave them all open for track days or other high speed events.

VCA Member
    Houston

Thank you I will look at that.

Viper Owner

I notice it feels a little cooler in the car when i'm not wearing my helmet.

VCA Member
    Houston

LOL I guess not

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by slysnake View Post
    Cockpit heat is a well known "feature". Fixed in the Gen4 I believe.
    Haha, nope.

It's probably not as bad but I certainly have to keep fresh, cold air blowing onto my legs on the long drives.