California smog question

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If there was a out of state vehicle you wanted but it had bellanger headers and Mopar ECU. In order to pass CA smog would you have to put stock headers on or could you just put the stock ECU back on and pass. Also if you didn't have the stock parts, how much would it cost to put back to stock?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there was a out of state vehicle you wanted but it had bellanger headers and Mopar ECU. In order to pass CA smog would you have to put stock headers on or could you just put the stock ECU back on and pass. Also if you didn't have the stock parts, how much would it cost to put back to stock?

My Gen 4 passed smog with ACRX headers, single cat and stock mufflers (with stock ECU). I don't think you'll have any problems if you put the stock ECU on and make sure your cats are very new. If your aftermarket cats have a lot of miles on them, they lose a lot of efficiency IMO. Also make sure your O2 sensors are good and don't have any grounded out wires, etc.

Good luck,
George

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only concern I had was when the technician went looking for the CARB stamp on my American Racing Headers, said it HAD to be there but after looking for a few minutes on a bright, hot sunny day he said they were good and my car passed, will see that same guy in two years! Lol

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Per regulations the vehicle must pass smoke and visual inspections. Smoke is not a problem, even for Belanger with cats. The visual is. Per regulations the exhaust system from the engine through downstream O2 can only use CARB certified components and even if there would be CARB certified replacement cat it would have to be placed within inches of the original cat location. Which pretty much precludes anyone in Cali from using aftermarket headers.

In practice as long as you pass emissions test (can't fool the computers) if the guy is half reasonable and especially if you have everything wrapped he'll look and say 'it looks like a stock' and you will pass.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad, you'll need to swap the ecu to stock. You'll also need to avoid lugging the motor as the bellangers will eventually throw a CEL. If you throw a CEL it won't matter how clean the motor is, the cel is an automatic fail. I've never had a problem with the visual, if your concerned reach out to other people in your area for a shop reference. Are you looking at the ACR in Phoenix? reason I ask is that I've been told he doesn't have the stock parts. good luck, Mike

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only concern I had was when the technician went looking for the CARB stamp on my American Racing Headers, said it HAD to be there but after looking for a few minutes on a bright, hot sunny day he said they were good and my car passed, will see that same guy in two years! Lol

You are correct that the car must pass visual...big advantage that the Viper has is most smog techs have never or rarely see one so they often don't know what to look for on the manifolds unless it is super obvious. On the newer Gens, having the side sill cover the cats is another plus.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
B

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brad, you'll need to swap the ecu to stock. You'll also need to avoid lugging the motor as the bellangers will eventually throw a CEL. If you throw a CEL it won't matter how clean the motor is, the cel is an automatic fail. I've never had a problem with the visual, if your concerned reach out to other people in your area for a shop reference. Are you looking at the ACR in Phoenix? reason I ask is that I've been told he doesn't have the stock parts. good luck, Mike

As far as visual, if the heat shields are on, you can't even see the headers can you?

Mike, no not looking at ACR in Arizona, I was looking at the white and graphite '10 at Houston Lambo. I was just wondering if it was worth trying, or just look for one without the upgrades. How much does a stock ecu cost?

Brad

OP
OP
B

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, a problem I will have is, even if it passes smog, when you buy a car from out of state you have to take it to DMV for a visual inspection, I wonder if they would fail the visual even though it has the 50 state sticker.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, a problem I will have is, even if it passes smog, when you buy a car from out of state you have to take it to DMV for a visual inspection, I wonder if they would fail the visual even though it has the 50 state sticker.

I bought my car new out of state, never took it to DMV. I have all my cars registration handled by a private registration company in Sacramento. For $45.00 per car I get everything taken care of and never have to step foot into the dreaded DMV. They even collect the sales tax and registration fees. PM me if you want and I'll forward you their name, tell them what you're doing (don't mention the car is not smog legal), you will need a smog certification and your title, etc. There may also be a similar business in your area that provides similar services.

Under normal vehicle transactions, it's no big deal to go to the dmv, but when dealing with out of state cars, gray market cars, lien sales, exotic cars, etc. having a company that knows what they are doing (and gives you the correct answer the first time) is such a time and headache saver that $45.00 seems like a huge bargin.

Good luck,
George

OP
OP
B

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my car new out of state, never took it to DMV. I have all my cars registration handled by a private registration company in Sacramento. For $45.00 per car I get everything taken care of and never have to step foot into the dreaded DMV. They even collect the sales tax and registration fees. PM me if you want and I'll forward you their name, tell them what you're doing (don't mention the car is not smog legal), you will need a smog certification and your title, etc. There may also be a similar business in your area that provides similar services.

Under normal vehicle transactions, it's no big deal to go to the dmv, but when dealing with out of state cars, gray market cars, lien sales, exotic cars, etc. having a company that knows what they are doing (and gives you the correct answer the first time) is such a time and headache saver that $45.00 seems like a huge bargin.

Good luck,
George

I'll drive to Sac to use that service! I have purchased my last 4 cars from Blair, NE and have had a terrible time with DMV. I will PM you for that info, thanks

Brad

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good luck,
George

Excellent info!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brad, their looking at the vin and making sure it's not stolen, etc., that inspection has nothing to do with smog. They want to see that it's a real deal car. I learned 2 vipers ago, even if you have a 50 mile car brought new, with a 50 state label, you have to have it inspected and smogged if it wasn't sold or previously registered in CA.

To your question of placing the heat shields back on, you'll probably only fool a deaf guy. As Trackaire said, most smog tech's have never seen a viper. As I mentioned before, lot's of shops don't care about carb stickers, but they care about the smog reading. They're punching in your vin when they run the car. If they get caught certifying a dirty car that would be much worse then missing a carb label on a clean car.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent info!

I think I've listed this company here before, it's All Vehicle Registration. Website is allvehreg.com

I know there are other companies like this in California, very helpful when bringing in cars from out of state, kit cars, RV's, etc.

Found these guys 15 years ago when I use to transfer trucks from our out of state branches....we'd get 3 different answers from 3 different people at DMV on the same question :omg:. Freaking nightmare and a huge waste of manhours waiting in line.

George

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Brad,

I have a Gen IV, 2009 OE computer if you need one along with OE Gen IV exhaust system. You will need the OE computer to pass smog as above but it's unlikely that you'll need the exhaust system.

TrackAire,

Good info on the reg service.

Thanks,

Dan

OP
OP
B

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brad,

I have a Gen IV, 2009 OE computer if you need one along with OE Gen IV exhaust system. You will need the OE computer to pass smog as above but it's unlikely that you'll need the exhaust system.

TrackAire,

Good info on the reg service.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Dan, I think I've found a car, and it's in calif so I won't need it

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Brad,

Glad you found a car.

We need to get you out to the track with us this year.

Dan

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
A group of us will be running Laguna Seca with Speed Ventures Friday and Saturday June 29 and 30 if you can make it.

Sunday we'll be "tourists" in Monterey, shopping, visiting wineries and likely eating and drinking too much with our wives!

Check our website for more info.

Dan

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A group of us will be running Laguna Seca with Speed Ventures Friday and Saturday June 29 and 30 if you can make it.

Sunday we'll be "tourists" in Monterey, shopping, visiting wineries and likely eating and drinking too much with our wives!

Check our website for more info.

Dan

Can't wait for this one! See you there...

Rich

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Can't wait for this one! See you there...

Rich

Looking forward to it.

Hopefully, we won't have any issues passing their sound limits.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth