NASA at Road Atlanta 6/16-6/17

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you run with NASA on a regular basis, and if so, what's it like? -as opposed to an open lapping day (no struture), or a somewhat structured 'car club' organized event. I'm curious. There's a NASA group here in Colorado, but I haven't really talked to any those guys. I've been invited to join up with SCCA (their group was doing 'test n tune' on a lapping day I was at) one of the guys was trying to recruit me to drive with them. No disrespect intended, but it just looks like it would take away alot of fun from doing HPDE's like I'm used to. I understand the need for rules and safety requirements, but this much red tape seems like a drag. -Stand in line all day to run two timed laps kind of thing. What?.... So, is NASA a little looser on the strict/rigid organization or the same thing, just a different group. I may be interested in joining a driving group that actually lets you drive more than two laps.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be my first time with NASA, but it's still and HPDE thing, just like NARRA, so I assume it's about the same.
I know their safety rules and tech are just about identical to NARRA, and from the description of the track weekend, I think it's the same type set up (multiple 20-30 sessions per day).
Maybe some others who have run with NASA before can chime in.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks,......Just looking for more track time (weekends). Aside from any open lapping days I can catch (among 3 different tracks in my area), There's 2 clubs I run with currently, but they only total 7 events a season between the two of them. I figure if I can run with NASA, maybe that'll be a few more. I'm thinking about hooking up with the Porsche and/or BMW clubs (they both allow 'other makes' space permitting) I've been invited to some PCA events, so I'm thinking about it now. I wanna run more than every now and then. The Viper club guys in this region just don't seem to be all that into FULL BLAST ROADCOURSE DRIVING as much as possible like me, so I just run with whoever now, I guess. ......so if it's not major red tape, NASA here I come.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good.
Since you've already got a coupe, all you need for their HPDE classes is to fill out the self-tech sheet (basically your car is in proper shape) and then make sure you have SA rated helmet and long sleeves/pants.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, I've seen your 'racing stuff' and all, and hats off to you for being "champion this and champion that" . I'm just a working class guy trying to have as much fun as I can before I'm too old. ......So really, which one of us does that flatout guy resemble more?......by the way, am I mistaken, or aren't you the guy that wears the funny colored clown wig at the driver's meetings?.....:eater:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TowDawg, I'll be there for the NASA event. You're welcome to paddock with us if you like (we have a bunch of cars, tents, tools and most importantly.....fresh-baked cookies).

Regarding NASA, as has been stated, usually four 20-minute sessions per day, five 15 minute sessions in Time Trials. Full range of DE groups ranging from instructor mandatory with limited passing to solo with pass anywhere without point.

Tech varies region to region.......in the South its extremely rigorous.....if the brake lights work you pass. In the Northeast they seem to enjoy finding tiny little things to fail you for.....like non-approved roll-bar padding on the passenger side of a car with no passenger seat... Check with the Rocky Mountain folk to see which extreme your region is most like.

In my experience, NASA is more of a regular-guy organization.....there are fast cars and slow cars and the occasional under-talented overly-arrogant braggart but mostly its a bunch of folks who get to know each other and enjoy helping each other when someone's broken. In SCCA there seem to be a few more of the latter type present.....but Im sure that too varies by region.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan, Just messin with ya! Hope you enjoyed the vid ;) I think you'll like NASA or NARRA more than SCCA or PCA events. Tons of track time...roll bars not necessary. Be humble enough to work your way up through the ranks and see what kind of lap times the fast guys are doing before you press for advanced groups. If you don't have a lap timer, I highly recommend it. Again, have fun and be safe! A track like Road Atlanta is not to be toyed with. It will put you in the wall if you aren't careful. Just sayin...

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks,......Just looking for more track time (weekends). Aside from any open lapping days I can catch (among 3 different tracks in my area), There's 2 clubs I run with currently, but they only total 7 events a season between the two of them. I figure if I can run with NASA, maybe that'll be a few more. I'm thinking about hooking up with the Porsche and/or BMW clubs (they both allow 'other makes' space permitting) I've been invited to some PCA events, so I'm thinking about it now. I wanna run more than every now and then. The Viper club guys in this region just don't seem to be all that into FULL BLAST ROADCOURSE DRIVING as much as possible like me, so I just run with whoever now, I guess. ......so if it's not major red tape, NASA here I come.

There were quite a few Vipers and other cars at RA during the Viper Days NARRA event. The cars that were the fastest seemed to be the Nissan GTR's but there were some Vipers and Corvettes getting around pretty quickly too. As Jim (Boxer12) said. those damn walls are pretty big and they come up real fast. Ask the 2 guys in the GT3 Porsches that lost it in turn 12! After the first session, my seat fit a bit differently than when I started... Amazing what pucker power will do.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll go if you're buying. LOL

I'd love to do that track again especially with all three fuel pumps running and not just the one. I thought the car felt weak but attributed it to the gear change from 355's to 307's. Only when we dyno'd it the other day did I realize it was down 180 hp.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think I can swing 2 entry fees. lol
Already upgraded the brake lines and bought a new helmet and mic system and rear tow hook (already had a front one). After the dragon and another track weekend, I'll probably be close to new tires and brakes too. :)

Trying to find a good deal on some 6 point harnesses right now too.

This tracking stuff is starting to add up, and I haven't even started on track wheels, oil pan, etc! hahahhaaaaa! Gotta love it!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Drummer, I'll take you up on parking with you guys. I know Joel is coming down too. Not sure about anyone else yet.
Cars, tents and cookies sound good. Hopefully I won't need any tools though! :)

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a Snake Skin 6 point in black dated 08 and a Team Tech system in black (08) that I'm going to list. Invos didn't last long did they??

Don't think I can swing 2 entry fees. lol
Already upgraded the brake lines and bought a new helmet and mic system and rear tow hook (already had a front one). After the dragon and another track weekend, I'll probably be close to new tires and brakes too. :)

Trying to find a good deal on some 6 point harnesses right now too.

This tracking stuff is starting to add up, and I haven't even started on track wheels, oil pan, etc! hahahhaaaaa! Gotta love it!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They held up better than I thought. I'm just not sure how they'll look after a weekend at the Dragon, a trip to the beach, and another weekend at the track. We'll see.

Why are you getting rid of the harnesses? Are they the ones you had at RA?

I was thinking blue would look good in the car, but black might work depending on price. ;)
Also, I would need 2 harnesses and would prefer they match. Are the ones you have camlock? I know one set you had isn't.

Shoot me a PM on pricing and the other questions.