Thread: New key ruined... not impressed

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Viper Owner

Default New key ruined... not impressed

Took my new red Sneaky Pete key to get cut today and the person cutting the key said the key slipped a little while being cut... Now I have an $80 (not so good) paper weight. Manager said since I didn't buy the key from them I am s.o.l. Sorry, I just wanted to vent a little.

Viper Owner

Default Re: New key ruined... not impressed

F that! Where were you having it cut? I'd make sure the manager and owner/corporate knew I was going to badmouth the hell out of them.
    Even if it was just a standard key, buying it from them has nothing to do with it. If it was something they could claim happened because the key you brought them was defective and or low quality, that's one thing. "It slipped" is 100% their fault.
    Last edited by TowDawg; 05-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Viper Owner

I took it to my local ACE hardware. They have done all my other keys w/o an issue. They can do chipped keys and have the friggin' machine that does it for you! All they have to do is put the keys in and hit go. I just emailed corp. so we'll see what happens.

I am surprised that they even tried to cut your key. Probably some new employee not knowing rules... They shouldn't use any other blank keys. Just those they have. It is against policy. At least in IL ACE, Menards, lowes,locksmith places.
    I am more surprised that you let them cut key like this... Probably you didn't ask what if.... I did and backed up.
    also - it is NOT the same like their keys...
    I went to dodge dealership, and even there guy told me that very often they mess keys when making duplicate. When you order duplicare there - you just don't know about how many times they cut them...

Enthusiast

I'm with Scott. They owe you $80! If they didn't want to try they should've said no, or at least told you their policy up front. I'd be a very big PITA to them until they made it right. Know any attorneys by chance? Ask them to spend 5 min and give you a letter on their letterhead demanding compensation. Obviously you're not gonna sue, but letters from attorneys do carry some weight.

I had TiresPlus botch an oil change many years ago on my DD. They drained the transmission fluid instead of oil. So I left with double too much oil and no trans fluid. Had the Mitsu dealer straighten it out for around $150. TiresPlus tried to jerk me around saying they definitely didn't do that, blah blah blah. I worked at an attorneys office. We mailed them a letter. I had a check from them the same day they received the letter to cover the $150.

definitely should pay you back the money but they won't, when I had mine done I took it to the best locksmith place in town, they charged twice as much as a normal hardware store but I thought with an expensive key (which it shouldn't be ) better safe then sorry. Don't know if you did this but I explained how expensive the key was and to please be as careful as possible, everything worked out ok but I can see someone that is just treating it like a .50 key making a mistake due to carelessness, that really sucks. I hope the place can fix it as is for you.

Viper Owner

My dealer was able to cut a key from a Mopar Blank for me, worked great. Hopefully yours has that capability also.

Viper Owner

Yeah we'll see what happens... I had a nervous feeling about taking it there but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. The guy was all excited to do it and said he was gonna be extra careful. Guess I should have trusted my gut.

Viper Owner

Hey it's a unique paperweight. Next time, take the blank to a Wal Mart/Lowe's/whatever that has a hands-free (computerized/automated) cutting machine. Those hand operated devices are so yesterday.

Viper Owner

The key cost $80 bucks!? WOW! Talk about a Viper tax!

Viper Owner

That attitude of unaccountability just slays me. If you didn't sign a waiver, they owe you.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Grisoman View Post
    . Those hand operated devices are so yesterday.
    Who said it was hand operated? As far as i know the key making machines have not changed in the past 15yrs. When i worked at Kmart 15yrs ago we had the same type machine that i see in hardwarestores today... Put the master in one slot, blank in other slot and hit the button. No room for error from what i remember. I dont understand what GTSFE21 is talking about when he says it slipped alittle unless the machine is old and one of the keys backed out of the slot during the process.

Quote Originally Posted by slysnake View Post
    Actually I think the cost from the dealers back in the day was over 100.00 but you can find them on ebay for like 40-50 all the time (red is the hard one to find). I watched ebay until there was a guy with like 20 red ones for 20/pc and I bought 2, nothing special about them except a plastic snake fob. I have to admit it is pretty cool thought lol.

Viper Owner

I took a risk and had Home Depot cut my Sneaky Pete. She told me it would not be their fault if she messed up. I told her to be extra careful and take her time and stood over her shoulder. It turned out fine, but I was sweatin' watching her cut it.

Viper Owner

The one they had involved putting the old key in a vice type jig and the new key in the other side of said "jig." They then hit start and the machine does the rest. They made it seem like the original key "moved" while the machine was cutting and that made the machine cut too deep into my new key. Anyway I emailed corp, corp called the store manager and the store manager called me today asking what color the key was. I told him red and he said he wanted to make sure because he found 3 different colors. SO... It looks like they are going to buy me a new key. Funny part is yesterday I found a place that had them for $36 and I bought two this time. If ACE does end up getting me a new key I will have 3 of them! I guess next time I will do more research before taking my keys to get cut.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by gtsfe21 View Post
    ... Funny part is yesterday I found a place that had them for $36 and I bought two this time. ...
    Good to hear Ace is taking care of you. Where did you get the key blanks for $36? Thanks.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by slysnake View Post
    That's insane. $80 bucks for a key fob? What is it gold plated?

Viper Owner

For example, see what $108 will get ya for a Gen II: https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/...lank-4883828aa

And if you have a Gen III, it is only $13: https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/...ank-05102103aa

Viper Owner

To me it would be just like going to get some wheels (you bought somewhere else) to be mounted, if they tell you Upfront they can't guarantee not putting a scratch on them (well, you know that going in) BUT, if they just put them on & not say anything before hand & scratch them up (well, they OWE you for every one that's messed up)! jmo

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by CEJ View Post
    For example, see what $108 will get ya for a Gen II: https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/...lank-4883828aa

And if you have a Gen III, it is only $13: https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/...ank-05102103aa
    AND it ships IMMEDIATELY! on the gen II you have to wait 2-5 business days (That SUCKS)!

Viper Owner

Had my key copied at a local store with their automated machine and didn't have any problems. *shrug*

(Wanted a no-plastic dumb key that I could carry in my wallet incase I locked the keys in the car away from home)

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Dom426h View Post
    ....As far as i know the key making machines have not changed in the past 15yrs. When i worked at Kmart 15yrs ago we had the same type machine that i see in hardwarestores today... Put the master in one slot, blank in other slot and hit the button. No room for error from what i remember. I dont understand what GTSFE21 is talking about when he says it slipped alittle unless the machine is old and one of the keys backed out of the slot during the process.
    dom, in the big box stores the key cutters have changed several times since the model you describe, to the point that lowes has a self serve key machine (like a coke machine) and wally world's new key machine scans your original to cut

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007Bond View Post
    (Wanted a no-plastic dumb key that I could carry in my wallet incase I locked the keys in the car away from home)
    or your wallet

Viper Owner

I took both of my blue Sneaky Pete keys to Home Depot. Never had any problems.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Grisoman View Post
    or your wallet
    If I lock both my keys and my wallet in the car, then I am royally screwed. lol Time for AAA or someone to give me a ride home to pick up the true spare.

Viper Owner

I locked myself out like 20 years ago so since then I forced myself into the habit of only locking a car with the remote.
    That way I know I'm safe. Haven't had a problem since.

Viper Owner

do yo mind sharing with me where you found the keys for $36, I just broke my red key and ordered another one on ebay for $45, I would like to buy a few more at $36

Quote Originally Posted by gtsfe21 View Post
    The one they had involved putting the old key in a vice type jig and the new key in the other side of said "jig." They then hit start and the machine does the rest. They made it seem like the original key "moved" while the machine was cutting and that made the machine cut too deep into my new key. Anyway I emailed corp, corp called the store manager and the store manager called me today asking what color the key was. I told him red and he said he wanted to make sure because he found 3 different colors. SO... It looks like they are going to buy me a new key. Funny part is yesterday I found a place that had them for $36 and I bought two this time. If ACE does end up getting me a new key I will have 3 of them! I guess next time I will do more research before taking my keys to get cut.

Viper Owner

I got keys cut for like $3, although it was just a dumb key with no plastic or anything.

Are Viper keys RFID? The guy's tester says it wasn't but I would assume later model Vipers would be.

Viper Owner

pm me for a link to the site and a phone number to call

Enthusiast

I was cleaning out my toolbox yesterday and low and behold, I found a brand new red sneaky pete key fob. I will let it go for $40 shipped. I believe I paid $38 for it on fleabay a couple of years ago. The OP gets dibs on it if he wants it. If not, the first to respond gets it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast