Which Generation has the most space for the driver?

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from looking at a 2000 GTS I was (still am?) thinking of buying...

Note that the seat is all the way back, and the pedals are all the way forward...

I'm only 6 foot, and not much higher if I still am higher at my age. But I seem to have more of my height in my torso than my legs, proportionally, than some men. Plus my shoulders tend to be wide...

I put my right foot into the cockpit and begin to slide in. The edge of the roof begins pushing my head to the left while I continue to slide in, so I have to lean to the left quite a bit until my head can scrape in. But my left leg is still outside, so I have to significantly fold up my leg so my foot can get in.

OK, now I'm inside.

I have maybe one or two fingers of clearance between the top of my head and the roof. That's acceptable. Won't be able to wear a helmet, but I was never planning to.

My level eyeline is looking through maybe the top inch of windshield glass or so, sometimes higher or lower as I shift position; sometimes I'm looking at the frame/sunblind. If I slouch down a little, I get a much better view of the outside world, but that worsens the next problem.

My feet are a little to close to the pedals for comfort when I'm sitting properly. When I slouch, it's worse. Pretending I'm driving on a trip, I can see that the gas pedal position is going to cause my right leg some considerable pain, since there is no cruise control. Putting my left leg in its most comfortable position, puts my left foot past the clutch pedal and my ankle/foot partially underneath the left side of the clutch pedal. Depressing the clutch pedal causes my left leg (just below the knee) to push on the bottom dash panel, flexing it visibly. Not good.

A part of me still wants to buy this car, but I keep whatever I buy 15 years or more, usually. That's a lot of accumulated pain and aggravation.

I understand that kits are available which lower the driver seat an inch or so.
Are there kits available that move the driver seat back an inch or two, as well as lowering it?

I had a '77 Corvette that had this same feel to the cockpit, but the Viper seems tighter. I remember that I got used to the Corvette, and didn't notice it any more. I'm not sure I'd get used to the Viper.

So my primary question for this thread is:
Do any later generations of Vipers have more space in the cockpit, and/or more space entering/exiting?

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GEN II ('01 RT/10) and a GEN IV ('08 Vert). Between the two I find the driving position in the '01 a little more comfortable as far as leg room goes. There's probably MORE room in the GEN IV however due to the fact theres an actual dead pedal in the GEN IV. As mentioned you can get a seat lowering kit for the GEN II which should help you a bit. You mentioned that the pedals were all the way forward. The pedals are adjustable so you could move them up to 4 in forward or backwards to help.

OP
OP
T

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GEN II ('01 RT/10) and a GEN IV ('08 Vert). Between the two I find the driving position in the '01 a little more comfortable as far as leg room goes. There's probably MORE room in the GEN IV however due to the fact theres an actual dead pedal in the GEN IV. As mentioned you can get a seat lowering kit for the GEN II which should help you a bit. You mentioned that the pedals were all the way forward. The pedals are adjustable so you could move them up to 4 in forward or backwards to help.

Thanks for your info.

By all the way forward, I meant the pedals were as close to the firewall as the adjustment knob would allow. Thus, they were giving the maximum legroom that they could, and the seat was all the way rearward so it was giving the maximum legroom it could, and it wasn't quite enough. If the seat bracket could be modified/replaced to move the seat closer to the rear of the car by an inch or two, that would probably be enough for pedal legroom.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen. 1's & 2's have more room. Gen. 3's & 4's have different interior parts that take up more room. Seat lowering kit will work.
I sit in the seat with both feet outside the car then swing my feet in. Much easier than trying to get one leg in first, then your body.

OP
OP
T

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen V is out of my price range right now. Maybe in a few years.

Thanks for relating your experience with the seat lowering kit. I think I'll contact the Southern California Viper club to see if a member with a lowered seat would let me try sitting in their car.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Gen V front, it has been mentioned that they have offset the engine to the right to allow for more driver room, better alignment of the pedals and to allow the car to be better balanced on the track with just the driver on board.

Electrically adjustable seats are available, along with thinner wall seats to allow for much more spacious driver pods.

For current cars there are 1" and 2" lowering kits available. I am 6' and use a 1" kit. It lowers me down just enough so I am no longer looking out of the top of the windshield. It also makes for a more comfortable driving position.

Best way to make the interior feel much more spacious is to remove the mostly useless windshield visors. These puffy visors take up a bunch of precious room, and make the interior feel tight. It only take a minute (maybe less) to take them out :>)

Last edited:

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll figure out your own method of getting in and out of the car that works best for you. I'm 6' 2" and I get in by putting my right leg into the car and the dropping into the drivers seat, I then swing my left leg over the door threshold and presto, I'm in. My dad uses your method of turning sideways and sitting down then pivoting into the car, he's 5' 11", it works for him. I'm sure you'll find the right recipe for you. Hope you get it, they are a blast to own and I haven't found a better car club to associate with in my 30 years of driving. Always a smile on my face after I get out of the car! Take care. Jeff

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a GEN1 and GEN2, and the GEN2 has slightly more legroom than the GEN1 (an inch maybe) because of the pedal adjustment. Strangely though, the GEN1 has a more comfortable seat with a better headrest and wider side bolsters. In fact, I've driven Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Porsches, Lotuses, 370Z's, and I think the GEN1 seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in, short of a Lincoln.

P.S.: Next time adjust the pedals on the GEN2. The knob is under the steering column. Gen1 is already set pretty far down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GEN1 and GEN2, and the GEN2 has slightly more legroom than the GEN1 (an inch maybe) because of the pedal adjustment. Strangely though, the GEN1 has a more comfortable seat with a better headrest and wider side bolsters. In fact, I've driven Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Porsches, Lotuses, 370Z's, and I think the GEN1 seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in, short of a Lincoln.

P.S.: Next time adjust the pedals on the GEN2. The knob is under the steering column. Gen1 is already set pretty far down.

I thought of that while I was in the car. The pedals were adjusted for maximum legroom, and the seat was as far back as it would go. Still not quite enough legroom, especially if it would be a long trip.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll figure out your own method of getting in and out of the car that works best for you.

This. There're a bunch of ways to get in and out....try different approaches and see which one works best for you. I've actually changed approaches since I've owned the car....I was younger in 2002 and could contort easier.

Regardless of approach, there is no hope of egress with grace as there would be in a big sedan.....

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get myself in and out with ease I decided shortly after getting my Viper that I would have to adjust the seat everytime I get in and out. It may sound like a PITA but it works for me.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN IV however due to the fact theres an actual dead pedal in the GEN IV
Remove the dead pedal. Best mod I ever did. Gives you tons more room.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
strange.. I'm 6' and found myself adjuting the pedal inward..

Same here(well 5-11) and my seat is foward a couple knotches and the pedals are inward about halfway.

My head is only a couple inches from the roof and when i wear a helmet it just barely brushes it.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and with the seat all the way back and the gas and brake pedals all the way forward, I'm quite comfortable. I have the clutch all the way back and also the ROE bracket to shorten the travel and still have to push my toe all the way forward to get the clutch in far enough. In traffic, I'm constantly adjusting my position in the seat.

OP
OP
T

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, the math is strange.....op did you just sit in the car or did you drive it :dunno:

I just sat in the car. The owner offered to let me drive it, but I was too uncomfortable with the pedal positions and my view to the outside world, so I decided not to buy it and declined to test drive it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21