Expansion Valve ("H-valve") is stuck. AC is blowing warm air

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a mechanic stop over to check my AC unit as it was not blowing cold air after a recharge. The compressor is running fine and there are no leaks. He pinpointed it to a stuck expansion valve, but he did not want to assume the liability of trying to get to it. It is deeper in the engine bay than it seems. He recommended taking it to the dealership. I have a good relationship with the service guys at Hendrick Dodge in Cary, but after saying that their tech should be scheduling something soon, I haven't gotten a response in 3 weeks (I've emailed multiple times now).

Any local recommendations in the Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, or Fuquay areas?

Thanks,

Chris

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you can get to it, lightly tap on the valve and it should break free

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't get to it. Dealership finally called back and set up and appt on Monday. The guy said it sounded like I may need a new "front"(?) - I think that is what he said, he woke me up at 7:30am this morning so I wasn't so I wasn't exactly paying attention. What the hell is a new "front" in regards to the AC? My mechanic friend said that it is just the valve that needs attention and to not let the dealership say it is anything else :nono:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
front could mean alot of things, how many miles on the car, if the compressor ever came apart and shot metal through the system, it will need a new front condensor, you cannot flush a r134a condensor,its so small on the inside about like a needle tip.... but on the other subject... those h-blocks are a silly desighn and a pain in the ass... they stick from sitting alot....

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealership vacuumed out the refrigerant and basically saw it was TOO full. They refilled it to spec and they say it is blowing ice cubes. Ran some oil through it to lubricate the seals also. Going to pick her back up now.

It is nice when things are a simple fix. :)

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealership vacuumed out the refrigerant and basically saw it was TOO full. They refilled it to spec and they say it is blowing ice cubes. Ran some oil through it to lubricate the seals also. Going to pick her back up now.

It is nice when things are a simple fix. :)