2002 rt/10 with 900 original miles - need new tires

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I purchased a beautiful 02 rt/10 in May. The good news is it has only 977 original miles. The bad news is it has the original tires on it (date stamps indicate 1999 and 2000 manufacturing dates). I checked the threads on the subject of Michelin Pilot tire life and date stamps, when they should be replaced, etc. While they appear to be perfect in appearance, research on this site clearly indicates the need for replacement. My question is which Michelin product should I purchase (PS 2's?) and from whom should I make the purchase to assure I get the freshest set (date stamp) available? I see that Viper Parts is running a special on the PS 2's. I respect the collective judgment of this Viper community as they have never let me down in the past. Thanks for the help.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tracked on the ps2's. I say they work vary well. Much better than the old Pilot Sports.
In the past I would try to buy from John Archer. Problem is Viper Days dose not come to Cal. anymore.
Make a point that you will be looking at the rims for damage.
Simply make it known to who ever you purchase tires from, you insist the tire are less than 6 months old, and that you will be checking them.
Get it in writing

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Frank...it's been a while !!

PS 2's are great tires, but I have to say that as MANY folks in our Region (which generally has lower ambient temps than your area) took delivery of our 2008's...on PS 2's...they immediately noticed that the PS 2's sling marbles more than any other OEM Viper tire (short of the Cups on the ACR's) when merely driving on city streets and highways. The bottoms of the sidesills started to lose paint on these cars fairly quickly. Many of our group have added extra protection to these street cars by using 3-M products such as Clear Bra.

I would suggest that you call of our major tire vendors and ask about WHAT I PERCEIVE (and hope) is a potential difference in "stickiness" (and
"stone-throwing") that seems to accompany the Pilot Super Sports as implied in Luke Pavlick's (Tire Rack) recent post stating:

"For purely aggressive driving the Pilot SPort PS2 C1 is the best option

The Pilot Super Sport will last significantly longer and still offers plenty of performance"

found in this thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/653567-new-tire-help

At this point, I anticipate going with Pilot Super Sports on ALL of our other Vipers as I renew their rubber.

I am not sure that this will answer all of your questions...but it is at least a start.

Best of luck...and THANKS for all of the great write-ups that you have posted through the years on Viper maintenance and racing !!

carbon777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with pilot super sports...my thought is who cares about mileage when our cars get 3k miles per year. by the time they are worn out they 'd be weather checked anyway. just my opinion...nice to find a low mileage car!

OP
OP
Frank Parise

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, it doesn't look like Michelin makes the Super Sport in a 335/18 rear or 345/18 rear. Need 18's.
PS2 may be only option

Fangs10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with pilot super sports...my thought is who cares about mileage when our cars get 11k miles per year. by the time they are worn out they 'd be weather checked anyway. just my opinion...nice to find a low mileage car!

Fixed :)

OP
OP
Frank Parise

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
While it totally ***** having to replace tires with only 1000 miles on them, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. My new set of PS2's are on their way from Luke at Tire Rack. Thanks to everyone for your help and a big thank you to Luke for being so knowledgable and responsive.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or like me considering going the 18/19 route with new wheels to be able to mount the new Pilot Supersports . . . oh the agony of decision making!