ATTN: Fan Relay melting issue - possible fix (pictures & instructions)

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably happening on ALL Gen II Vipers (also Gen I possibly). CHECK YOUR FAN RELAY CONNECTORS!!!!!!!

As my car was torn apart for my Paxton install, I tackeled this today. Took me about 3 hours or so... My theory is the wire is too small and under a high current load when the high speed fan comes on. The wire is getting hot and melting the connector. So, I doubeled the size of the wire by soldering in larger gauge wire along side the original wire, to the 3 connectors (2 relay & 1 fuse). See pics below. It may still get hot and melt, but I feel heat will be distributed better and not "bottleneck" at the connector as bad. We'll see... I know there is more detail I can write but don't rerally have the time at the moment, so ask questions and I'll respond later.

It really is not that difficult to remove the box and access everything. Just unscrew everything and TAPE UP THE HOT WIRE ONCE YOU PULL IT OFF THE BATTERY POST ON THE BOX.

You must be registered for see images

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul
Hopefully you beefed up the wire from the 1st relay to the 2nd relay also?!
In repairing my melted relays (yes both fan relays melted 2 times) I beefed up the wires from the 50 amp fuse to the 1st relay and then beefed up the wire from that relay over to the 2nd relay on the fan circuit. The current gets passed from the 1st relay to the 2nd relay then passed to the fan itself.
Ray

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul
Hopefully you beefed up the wire from the 1st relay to the 2nd relay also?!
In repairing my melted relays (yes both fan relays melted 2 times) I beefed up the wires from the 50 amp fuse to the 1st relay and then beefed up the wire from that relay over to the 2nd relay on the fan circuit. The current gets passed from the 1st relay to the 2nd relay then passed to the fan itself.
Ray

No I didn't. I saw that on mine... so I know exactly what you are talking about. That wire on mine was a little brown but not nearly as bad as the one I fixed. Just lazy on my part and wanted to get my car started. I'll mess with it later though. Thanks for the heads up Ray!!!

02 F.E. TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Frog, I have the exact same problem with my 02 F.E.TT. Its really a pain watching the temp. gauge more than the road.
I havent put many miles on mine but have replaced relays twice. Do you think a good auto electric shop could do this?

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Frog, I have the exact same problem with my 02 F.E.TT. Its really a pain watching the temp. gauge more than the road.
I havent put many miles on mine but have replaced relays twice. Do you think a good auto electric shop could do this?

This is pretty basic soldering so any electric shop should be able to do this but may want to print out my pictures to show them... Also I had to cut up the plastic a little bit to get the connectors back in the holes because all that extra solder and wire doubled the size that was originally slipping into the connector holes, so I soldered the wires back a little and used vice grips to pinch the soldered area and mash it down, so it wasn't potruding soo much. If anything, remove your wires and mail them to me, and I'll solder them for you since I have a ton of wire laying around, but you'll have to stick the wires back into the box yourself and cut the plastic areas so they will fit in.

Just know that I still may have to double the wire that connects both relays together as Ray mentioned above, so this is kind of a test at the moment and it may only be half way done. Feel free to ask more questions. I can go into more detail about cutting plastic and soldering if needed. :)

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the same problem,burned down 6 relays until now,the wholeplastic is burned so i cannot get the connectors out anymore.

Will construct a external relay plate on monday and also changethe relays to the 50 or 70 amps that are available. The standard 30 amps are to small with that amount of work they have to do,especially the low speed one.

I will put a writeup if anyone is interested with pics when wanted ;)

Greets from Europe

Daniel

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the same problem,burned down 6 relays until now,the wholeplastic is burned so i cannot get the connectors out anymore.

Will construct a external relay plate on monday and also changethe relays to the 50 or 70 amps that are available. The standard 30 amps are to small with that amount of work they have to do,especially the low speed one.

I will put a writeup if anyone is interested with pics when wanted ;)

Greets from Europe

Daniel

Yes PLEASE do a writeup as this is an issue with all Vipers. If you don't add the info to this thread and make a new thread, please post a link in this thread so in the future people can find the thread when doing searches. Thanks!!!

02 F.E. TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes PLEASE do a writeup as this is an issue with all Vipers. If you don't add the info to this thread and make a new thread, please post a link in this thread so in the future people can find the thread when doing searches. Thanks!!!

What he said.

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

would you want to know that i have already taken pics and also ordered the right parts that needed for the repair/modification.....only waiting that they arrive.
As soon as i am finished and all works well i will post a writeup why this happen and what to do that the relays hold their whole lifes ;)

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has happened to me twice. I'm getting a new "used" fan motor since we suspect the one I got now might be drawing to much juice.
What my mechanic is goind to do should cure the issue once and for all.

He is going to use a huge 80 Amp "old shcool"solenoid type relay to basically operate the fan at one constant HIGH speed.
This new monster relay will get activated from the same low amp wire that activates the stock low speed relay fan.

Once the BIG solenoid relay gets the signal from te stock wiring harness, it will feed JUICE to the fan motor for high speed.
All wiring will be new to solenoid, and from solenoid to fan.

The only stock wire that ill be used would be the wire that sends the signal from the computer to the low speed fan relay. This now will signal the BIG Solenoid, which will feed the fan motor with juice for one single speed -->high speed.

This is at least how he explained to me, but he will make it work by-passing both stock relays and wiring, he will only use the OEM signal for activation.

Last edited:

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Julio, don't use that. Use a SSR instead. You can get a 100amp SSR for about $15.00

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper