If You Had to Dump Your Viper...What Car Would You Get?

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Toying with looking into a matte black Aventador. The only way to justify this expense would be to part with the snake. Not so sure I want to do that quite yet.
Besides, there seems to be an annoying habit of these things catching fire lately. My wife is pretty much convinced that I have lost my mind anyway. Bottom line,
375K is alot for a garage queen............But then............................:D

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the Gen 5 you have been telling everyone is a must have.
You haven't preorderd yet?

Me....saying the Gen 5 is a 'must have' ? Think you got me mixed up. I don't recall having said anything like that, but then again....I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

I do like many things about the Gen 5. Exterior is gorgeous. Interior is amazing. I am sure performance will exceed everyone's expectations...etc etc. I am intrigued by this new machine and would most definitely consider looking at one.

Having said that, I am not sure I would jump on one the first production year. I think it will become an even better car given some time with real life testing and feedback.

Just like the R8. When it was first introduced it was very well received except for maybe the power (400+ hp V8). Then a few years into it they added the 525 horse V10 (Gallardo engine). Bet many that bought the V8 car wished they would have waited for the V10. Apparently the V10 with the 6 speed is an exceptional car.

So No, Jon....I have not pre-ordered a Gen 5.

Matt

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread was inspired by Georgethedog's recent trade in of his beloved Viper for a Challenger SRT-8 { sorry if I put you on the spot..George }...It got me thinking; if I ever had to get rid of my Viper ( couldn't imagine it!! ) for something that was still exotic but more of a daily driver...What car would I buy?.....Here's my Pics:

2001 Plymoth Prowler
2012 Ferrari California ( I wish!! )

Just Curious...Which cars would you guys buy...?
I have a srt8 Challenger and a 96 gts. He is going to miss that viper let me tell ya!!!

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight trade - Lotus Exige S (240, 260 whichever)

I'm dreaming - Ford GT

I'm on drugs - Lambo (anything <10 yrs old really!)

And a kit GT40 fits in there somewhere...

EDIT: But yeah, besides a better Viper (Gen IV or V) there is nothing I want more. My buddy in an Exige gushed over an R8, and I couldn't be bothered. I would take my Viper over an R8 any day. Practically my whole ancestry worked at Chrysler/AMC, so its in my blood.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got to completely agree with some of the earlier votes. ;)

You must be registered for see images

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm dreaming - Ford GT

I'm on drugs - Lambo (anything <10 yrs old really!)

Do you do more drugs than dreaming?? lol. You can get an 04 Gallardo for less than a FGT.

Only other car I could see myself realistically getting after the Viper is a Gallardo myself. But keeping mind the essence of the thread, if I had to dump the Viper for something more practical but still nice, I would get either a nice E46 M3 or another 300c SRT-8 with S/C. Sure do miss that 300 sometimes.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got to completely agree with some of the earlier votes. ;)

The Falcon is a great looking car, I've seen it in person twice. But it's seriously overpriced for basically a factory kit car. When I got up real close, I could see that it wasn't on par with quality standards of today. The demo car you see here was actually sold to the first customer for $200k (told to me by falcon rep). It was definitely showing wear and the fit and finish wasn't even on par with 90's Vipers.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Falcon is a great looking car, I've seen it in person twice. But it's seriously overpriced for basically a factory kit car. When I got up real close, I could see that it wasn't on par with quality standards of today. The demo car you see here was actually sold to the first customer for $200k (told to me by falcon rep). It was definitely showing wear and the fit and finish wasn't even on par with 90's Vipers.

Keep in mind what the Falcon, especially the orange car #1, really is. The F7 is a car equip with features that even the Gen 5 Viper still does not have such as 100% carbon fiber body and inner structures, an aluminum/Carbon fiber monocoque chassis, and a extreme power to weight ratio. The materials and components alone cost more than the new, upcoming Viper. Not trying to say the Falcon is a better car than a Viper, on certain levels it's not depending on what defines "better" to an individual. I'm just stating that it's not old school in regards to its performance design and features. The car drives amazing, sounds absolutely incredible, and is faster than any Viper I've ever been in.

It's nearly impossible for an independent car company to survive in todays world. A car like this to get produced and delivered to a customer is a feat that's difficult to describe and the people that realize the exclusive nature of a exciting dream vehicle that should not exist is something easily worth the extra price of admission. Before the orange car was delivered to the customer, it had to go through extensive road testing, track testing, video shoots, photo shoots, etc which took a toll (the future owner understood this and was aware). Most of the public saw the car in this manner but please know the car was completely refinished before delivery. I'll bet that if you compared the first F7 off the line with the very first viper off the line (built by a major auto company, mind you), the quality of the Falcon would surpass the first Viper. That's the only way to compare apples to apples.

Seriously overpriced? Many say they are surprised how low the price is for what you get. It really depends on what you're looking for.

https://vimeo.com/43929223

password; falconf7

Last edited:

1MEANASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't dump my Viper but this is what I got anyways. And it's got attitude.
You must be registered for see images attach

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I fell into an unlimited amount of money and maintenance wasn't a concern, a Ferrari F50.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 96 GTS and Plum Crazy SRT-8. I've been thinking about an original Mini Cooper because of the 40-45 mpg, but if money was no object I'd get a Ferrari F40 or 288 GTO, a McLaren F1, a Countach (but not the Anniversary edition) or a V8 Arial Atom; the newer Ferraris and Lambos just don't do it for me.

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold two out of my three Vipers (keeping one) and now I am getting a Ford GT. I can't wait!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold two out of my three Vipers (keeping one) and now I am getting a Ford GT. I can't wait!

I think I can speak for the majority of people here and say we hate you.
But good luck with it anyway.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Ford GT
2. Porsche 911 Turbo
3. 72 Convertible Vette with 454 big block

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJon,
That is funny as all heck! I was looking for something different from by other two cars and the Ford GT has always been in the back of my mind. Well, while prices are at an all time high, I figured I might as well dive in now rather than wait until next year when the prices are another $20K higher. It is Black with Silver Stripes, ultra low mileage car in MINTY MINT condition. It will make a nice stable mate to my other cars!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No desire for any other car. The Viper was finally a 20 year dream come true. If it came down to it however something in a similar price range I would consider would be the "R35" GT-R, only because the R32, R33 and R34 were childhood dreams.

Prowler is the list too, because of looks alone. If I didn't get a Viper this year I probably would have snagged one of those for a cruiser. I'll add one someday when I get rid of something else.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJon,
That is funny as all heck! I was looking for something different from by other two cars and the Ford GT has always been in the back of my mind. Well, while prices are at an all time high, I figured I might as well dive in now rather than wait until next year when the prices are another $20K higher. It is Black with Silver Stripes, ultra low mileage car in MINTY MINT condition. It will make a nice stable mate to my other cars!

Black and silver is a nice combo...a personal favorite (see sig) :)

In that price range, I would have a tough time between a Lambo LP-560 or a FGT. The lambo of course will depreciate while the FGT defies all logic and rises.
But that's the problem, I like to drive them. My 10 ACR has 4000 miles on it in a year. With the FGT I'd be staring at the odometer all the time.
Having another Viper doesn't help when one car is wayyyyy more fun than the other, as I have learned.
My 97 GTS sits in the garage, put about 150 miles on it last year...the ACR is just too much fun to drive...

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure it out. I'd like to sell my Viper for something I would "drive more year round". Just havn't found it yet. Why car is still in my garage. Everything I really want costs more money.

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FGT is practically the only car that continues to go up in value and that is essentially what won me over. I was looking at used Gallardos and almost ordered a new R8 (great car, V10!!!), but the second you write the check, your car is worth $25K less than before. The FGT is simply incredible to drive and with a few mods, it really smokes. It is also an iconic car with such historical significance. In general, cars are, by definition, not an investment...they are simply an expensive hobby. The FGT defies all logic and continues to rise in price as the number of cars decreases. I bought the car to drive it, but being in Michigan, good driving days are numbered, so the max number of miles/year for me might hit 1000. Don't worry about miles...drive it and enjoy it. Next year, it will still be worth more money!!! I get my FGT sometime next week! It will look amazing next to my 2010 Gen4 GTS Blue/White Stripes Convertible Viper!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The depreciation on Lambos is simply mind boggling.
You have to be a big baller and really want to own a new one to absorb the hit at trade in time.
Cars that stickered at 265K two-three years ago selling at dealers for 175K with 2000 miles on them????
That means the guy lost 100K on trade in two years later...

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The depreciation on Lambos is simply mind boggling.
You have to be a big baller and really want to own a new one to absorb the hit at trade in time.
Cars that stickered at 265K two-three years ago selling at dealers for 175K with 2000 miles on them????
That means the guy lost 100K on trade in two years later...

If you only have the budget for one exotic supercar, the best way to buy would seem to be used. If you're filthy rich and money is no object, then losing $100k per car every few years just to have the newest and best one out there probably isn't a concern.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gumpert Apollo (yellow, of course). I saw it on Top Gear recently and it is a work of art. And very fast, too. :D

137024[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• gumpert.jpg
    gumpert.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave