Viper High Speeds

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Wondering what speeds Viper drivers are going daily and how often they go over 100 mph? We are trying to develop Viper Durability testing and this information will be helpful in developing future products and test. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

SRT Engineers at Chrysler

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This must be a set-up. Undercover sting maybe? :D
On our way out to VOI-9 in Vegas, on way to our hotel stop in UT, 6 of us (mostly GenII's) covered 60 miles in 30 mins. Do the math. From what I remember, everyone boasted how "comfortable" the cars felt.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully this is just expanding the existing test, otherwise I would be shocked that such a durability test doesn't already exist. As a former engineer for one of your automotive competitors, I developed and executed some high speed testing for a line of their non-sport's car vehicles. I won't give out details, but let's just say testing was done at the tire speed rating on a fully weight ballasted vehicle, during a very warm day, and for a very healthy length of time. Of course, testing at the Viper's tire speed limit is silly, but just a bit of info on what other are doing or have done.

Folks in this board have participated in some of our open road races events here in Texas. I know some of them averaged 125mph and another averaged 145mph for a 118mile distance.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dear Engineers at SRT,

A group of VCA officers / members, myself included, will be at the Viper Cafe Opening in Detroit area tomorrow, June 9 (at the Chrysler Museum).

This would be a good place to discuss this type of situation with some of us.

Track guys obviously drive their cars faster more frequently than non-track guys. The open road challenge and standing mile competitors drive faster too.

With the new lower overall gear ratio in the Gen V, I can understand the reasoning for your question.

See you in Detroit,

Dan

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT,

As you know Viper owners are all over the board when it comes to driving. Some have the cars as museum pieces, others occasional drivers (like myself), daily drivers with occasinal track time and others are full blown race cars. All conditions for durability testing would be beneficial. There are plenty that hit the tracks on a regular basis, but Warranty issues are a concern once discovered a car hits the track and is shall we say abused. I for one do not track my car or do any controlled high speed runs.

thanks for posting

Bruce

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take advantage of every opportunity to let her stretch her legs, at times WELL north of the posted limit. (only when passing, no traffic, middle of the day, no rain, blah, blah, blah and ect)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truthfully, I regularly drive the car apx. 20mph above the posted speed limit, except school zones.
On highways, tollways and interstates, traffic permitting, I cruise around 90mph with blasts to 140mph, again traffic permitting.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truthfully, I regularly drive the car apx. 20mph above the posted speed limit, except school zones.
On highways, tollways and interstates, traffic permitting, I cruise around 90mph with blasts to 140mph, again traffic permitting.

X2, except the speed limit in neighborhoods as well.

Plus up to 160 mph on road courses

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to help out SRT:

1997 GTS, 60K Miles, Bolt-on mods

My commute is 30min all freeway and i hed in to work an hour after rush-hour so the opportunity is always there for me to go as fast as i desire.
I typically do 75-90mph to work a couple days a week

Every-other week or so i'll do a burst up to 120.

Once i did 160 to see what it felt like and to be in the "150+ club"
Currently i have no desire to go above 130 on the street.

I hit a roadcourse a few times a year and do whatever the straight allows:drive:

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO you better add a considerable % to what is being done today.

Reason: the new cars appear to have a lot of work done on driver comfort: the seats, controls, stability and HNV. This means that the "felt" speed and real speed are likely to be considerably different with the Gen V cars than with the previous generation cars. The Gen V car will be traveling at a much higher actual speed for the same "felt" speed. Further, the GTS version of the Gen V is much more a true touring car. This means more and longer trips at sustained high speeds. :headbang:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend that if posters wish to disclose any above speed limit on road activities that they do so in a PM to the SRT Engineers.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take advantage of every opportunity to let her stretch her legs, at times WELL north of the posted limit. (only when passing, no traffic, middle of the day, no rain, blah, blah, blah and ect)

If there's no traffic, then who are you passing? ;)

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm just old and chicken--only drive each car occasionally and not too over the top. I just enjoy the cars so much that I really don't need the thrill of high speed in addition. What I do enjoy is the ability to take a corner at speed, rather than slow down as you would do in a normal car.---Dave

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol! There's definitely some spots you can touch 100+ on there. You'll just fly up there and then be hitting the brakes HARD for the next U-turn corner.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting question. When coming back from Utah VOI there were several highway stretches posted at 80 MPH, and in Texas they are planning on posting 85 mph limits on some of the longer roads.

Believe the Viper should always have "long legs". No need to bog along at lower revs, but it should be able to hold enough revs to provide excellent throttle control, while still being able to pile on the miles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper