Mapping for higher Octane?

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Europe,so we have 91 95 98 or 100 octane at the gas station.
I know that in US the octane is lower i think 91 is the standard high octane there and would be good enough?? Is that right?
The European Version Vipers must fill 95/98 octane and have less power than the US versions.
My Viper came from Canada so i must not fill up 95 or higher.

My mainquestion is Would it make any sense to rewrite/map the Pcm for 95 or higher octane to get more power or would it be a total waste of money?

Car is fully stock except smoothtubes/kn filters 01 GTS

oxam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These are different octane standards

US 91 = European 95
US 93 = European 97/98

yes it would make sense to play with the timing if you will be using European 98 or 100 octane only.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The octane topic comes up from time to time. General consensus is there is no advantage to going with a higher octane with a stock or near stock engine. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just sayin' what the replies add up to.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also given the vagaries of the supply chain and the inconsistency of blending....even if you tune for a specific brand at a specific octane level, you may not get that octane level (exactly) every time you go to the petrol station. As the previous posts indicate, probably retuning is more headache than it is benefit.

OP
OP
B

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input,ok then i will begin with exhaust,headers,cats.... :)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the States, octane level is expressed as Research + Motor / 2. If I remember right, Research octane is typically higher, and Motor octane is lower. My guess is that Europe's ratings are akin to our Research numbers.