Need help adjusting doors...asap

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I just noticed a horrible thing on my passenger side door sill. it's worn really badly in one spot because of the adjustment of the door. since ive been here ive seen a few door adjustment threads, but the search function never works properly for me. I have read "adjust the hinges", but I was wondering how. I will attach a picture of the worn part of the frame, and the second shows that the window doesn't sit properly around the weather stripping part. maybe this will give you guys an idea of how I have to adjust it to make it proper so the window sits nice and the door frame doesnt wear worse than it already is.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see that wear spot is horrible and i need to get this fixed before it is damaged further

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine rubs a bit but not that bad.... you may need a new hinge. Use the search, there is a good thread on how to adjust using a towel.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found one thread on a sagging door, but nothing about adusting it. i dont know if mine needs to go up...or down. youd think it has to go down so the window can sit in the stripping, but then i'd think it has to be raised so it does rub that part of the stripping at the bottom.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can adjust the window without adjusting the door, my drivers window looked like yours and I had to play with the window guide screws on the aft side of the door to get the proper adjustment of the window, didn't do anything for the door rubbing on the lower seal but the window fit in the seal better, just my.02.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is quite simple to adjust the door.
I do not know how to post pictures but I will do my best to explain.
Open the hood.
Find and remove the 5 or 6 screws that hold the small body panel in front of the door. Note: there are shims behind the panel at each screw location. If you are carful, you can keep track of how many at each location. If they all fall out, not a big deal. You might have to play around to get a good fit.
Once the cover is removed, you will see 4 bolts that hold the door hinge to the body.
This is where you need a helper.
Have your helper open the door just a couple of inches and hold the door up without much pressure. Loosen 3 hinge bolts then slowly loosen the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] bolt while placing your finger at the body and the hinge to feel any movement.
Most of the time it is a mater of lifting the door at the opening end. In your case it looks like you might need to move the door towards the front of the car just a little.
Move the door up or down as necessary.
Snug up the bolts and check for correct operation of the door.
Repeat as required.
When you are happy with the fit and operation of the door. Do not over tighten the screws that hold the small body panel.
Take your time, when testing the fit, close the door slowly as to not cause any damage.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Sssssss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing and I plan to fix it after I clean mine top to bottom (hopefully with in the next week) when I get it fixed I'll post some pics and tell you how I done it, if you get yours fixed before me let me know how you done it.

Thanks,
Mandus

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can adjust the window without adjusting the door, my drivers window looked like yours and I had to play with the window guide screws on the aft side of the door to get the proper adjustment of the window, didn't do anything for the door rubbing on the lower seal but the window fit in the seal better, just my.02.
so really i should adjust the door first and then adjust the window accordingly. thats good to know they can be done seperate...

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is quite simple to adjust the door.
I do not know how to post pictures but I will do my best to explain.
Open the hood.
Find and remove the 5 or 6 screws that hold the small body panel in front of the door. Note: there are shims behind the panel at each screw location. If you are carful, you can keep track of how many at each location. If they all fall out, not a big deal. You might have to play around to get a good fit.
Once the cover is removed, you will see 4 bolts that hold the door hinge to the body.
This is where you need a helper.
Have your helper open the door just a couple of inches and hold the door up without much pressure. Loosen 3 hinge bolts then slowly loosen the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] bolt while placing your finger at the body and the hinge to feel any movement.
Most of the time it is a mater of lifting the door at the opening end. In your case it looks like you might need to move the door towards the front of the car just a little.
Move the door up or down as necessary.
Snug up the bolts and check for correct operation of the door.
Repeat as required.
When you are happy with the fit and operation of the door. Do not over tighten the screws that hold the small body panel.
Take your time, when testing the fit, close the door slowly as to not cause any damage.

Hope this helps.

Dan
thanks for the help dan. I will give it a run, and if i feel i am doing no good or risking damage I will take it to Dodge to adjust. otherwise i hope it works so i can stop stressing. oddly the passenger door is the one that stays open and the driver's side door closes by itself

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the help dan. I will give it a run, and if i feel i am doing no good or risking damage I will take it to Dodge to adjust. otherwise i hope it works so i can stop stressing. oddly the passenger door is the one that stays open and the driver's side door closes by itself

They will just send you to their body shop. Mine needed adjustment but they said they would cover it under warranty, I didn't trust the body shop with my car so I did it myself.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just saw this, where are the window guide screws, can you post a pic?

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you take the inside stanchion cover off, you will see a torx head screw near the top of the window track. Loosen it with the window lowered a bit and slide the stop down maybe 1/8". Tighten the torx screw, roll the window up and close the door. Check for fit and adjust accordingly. For some reason, my pass. window stop won't stay where I put it. I have to go in periodically and re adjust it. Maybe I'll try loctite next time. Art

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you take the inside stanchion cover off, you will see a torx head screw near the top of the window track. Loosen it with the window lowered a bit and slide the stop down maybe 1/8". Tighten the torx screw, roll the window up and close the door. Check for fit and adjust accordingly. For some reason, my pass. window stop won't stay where I put it. I have to go in periodically and re adjust it. Maybe I'll try loctite next time. Art

Perfect, thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave